free hit
counters
Evora S potential upgrades - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I am coming to the conclusion that the Evora is happily here fro the long-term and looking at some potential upgrades. Any advice or experience really appreciated...

Any advice gratefully received - I am sure Bibs will tell me what's what now that he is driving an Evora too!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You've taken a wise decision, Rob. :thumbup:

However, you probably won't be surprised to hear that these topics have been covered in depth, often multiple times. In these cases, "search is your friend". ;)

KT430 seems to be reasonably popular and the sweet point for value for money. Several on here have done it and all seem very happy with the results and H111 must have a pretty good track record now and got the upgrade down to a fine art.

They also do a Kobra big brake solution that several have used, expecilly on the Exige, however, as far as I know the evora brakes are more than up to the task.

Hi Rob, have a look at what Randy is doing with the ssc kit for the Evora. It looks likely to be a good way to go.  Also when your suspension starts to show signs of wear ask him about suspension. He has done wonders with mine.

Thanks for the replies - struggled to find lots in previous chats. 

@Bruss where can I find a link to Randy and SSC. We bought the cover from you prior to the Evora arriving and could see that Lotus was in your blood. Great to see you still enjoying it across the channel.

Has any put on the Harrop TVS1900?

@Bibs you must be the world expert on Evoras now having finally got your own - Brands anytime??

@Bruss what do you think the Hofmanns kit makes and what do you think other changes are worth looking at.

Unfortunately Hoffmans haven't yet put the first one into an Evora ( there's one just about to be done) so no numbers are available. I did look at getting the kit in from Aus before Chris had taken it on, but in the end Lotus had something available for me. Talk to Chris and see what he is expecting to get based on his Exige installs.  I would expect nothing less than 410 bhp and depending on Chris's ecu tuning a little bit more. The advantage of this scc set up is in the capacity of the sc itself. It should run cooler than the standard S one and not suffer the same heat soak issues. 

Given that you already have the S, the suspension is really worth getting even before the s/c imo. It makes driving on the road more direct but still with all the grace and poise that the Evora already has, and with a tweak of the settings you can take the car on track and dial out the understeer tendencies that the road car has. If you want to spend money for improvements on track but with no real return on the road then consider lighter and better braking and lighter wheels.  Other than that improve the sh*t stereo that Lotus fits. :-) I think your S could benefit from removing the cat and replacing the back box if you haven't already done so.

@robcarter - if you can be bothered, have a read through ‘my’ thread: 

My Evora S has already had a lot of the mods done that you’re thinking about. (Coincidentally, it used to be @Bruss‘s car. However, I bought it off him in a unmodified state). 

The next things that I’m going to do are to fit 400 brakes to the rear (to match the fronts) and a set of Randy’s Nitrons. 

@saj‘s old car also had a number of great modifications. This list should give you a pretty good idea:

KOMO-TEC EV430:

• +70bhp and 47lb/ft over standard, to achieve approx. 425bhp and 344lb/ft
  • Carbon fibre induction kit with K&N high-flow cone filter
  • Modified supercharger pulley
  • Engine management system re-flash
  • OBD Programming Lead
  • Cost of approximately £2500
  • Work carried out at 35,582 miles

2BULAR TRACK EDITION EXHAUST AND MANIFOLDS:

• Stepped 2bular 3-1 design de-cat manifold and bigger-bore downpipes (£1730)
  • 130mm diameter 200cell HJS HD Catalyser (£734)
  • Track edition exhaust – keeps noise levels under 105db (£1207)
  • Work carried out at 1327 miles

NITRON 46RACEPRO SHOCKS (Hoffman Spec):

• 600lbs springs on the front with a 300lbs helpers
  • 900lbs springs on the rear with 400lbs helpers
  • This setup is perfectly suitable for those who use their car on the road and for track days. Road performance is not compromised. The Evora is my daily driver.
  • Original Bilstein shocks also included in the sale
  • Cost incl fitting £2500
  • Work carried out at 48000 miles

UPRATED CLUTCH, FLYWHEEL & QUAIFE LSD:

OTHER BITS:

• Like 1

Good list that J. I forgot to mention the tyres. Cup2's are very good if you go on track, and when you need a clutch replacement, then get the later 400 set up fitted and a lsd if you can run to it.

Sorry if already suggested but I woukd seriously consider new headers and a sports cat from either Komotec or 2bular.

It does improve mid range responsiveness and takes out the 2 cats that heat the engine block. Heat is your enemy with SC cars so anything that reduces it is good.

Don't be silly. That looks lovely but you'd miss the comfort of the Evora. You're nearly at Evora 400 money, consider one of those.

3 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Sorry if already suggested but I woukd seriously consider new headers and a sports cat from either Komotec or 2bular.

It does improve mid range responsiveness and takes out the 2 cats that heat the engine block. Heat is your enemy with SC cars so anything that reduces it is good.

While all that is true unless you do a lot of track work, you aren't going to notice the difference. There are better ways to spend your money.

• Like 1

Just a thought. A lot of people forget about the general stuff that should be checked at service intervals, that other cars may not need. So geo really needs setting each year ( consider a more agressive geo), arb bushes replacing every 20k miles, check drop links every service , similarly check toe links. Lotus say that the gearbox oil is in for life as its a heavy grade commercial box and fluids. I don't believe them. Oil needs changing. If your gear cables have got sloppy, get them adjusted, better, get them upgraded to the latest spec that will fit your model year.  All small things but they make a big difference to how the car feels.

Jonny's thread also has a good airbox mod worth doing.

• Like 2

@Bruss I will check with B&C what has been done at service time - we have only done 15k miles - yet to see an Evora 400 @ £50k...

@Bruss didn’t spot that one! Had done a few miles.

Have spoken to Hoffmans and Hangar 111 who were both really spot on.

New supercharger from Harrop in the lead at the moment!

It will be interesting to hear Tim-Marra's comments and report on power output when his is completed.

Yes either seem to know what they are doing. I don't think either would be a bad choice, but I like the idea of the scc Harrop having that extra envelope of operation.

Yeah. Mine won't be going on a rolling road though, but I will have my impressions of before and after plus those of a 400 owner who will drive the car immediately before and after the conversion :)

Why no dyno power comparison Tim?

Edited by trcm

i'm not a fan of dyno's or the reliability of the quoted figures :ermm:

I'm not going to get into an argument about dynos, but it is quite useful to have before and after figures on the same dyno. Just to see what the % increase is. Also I quite like to see how the power/torque curve is put down across the rpm range.

( Having said all that I still haven't got around to getting mine done since the last upgrade, oops)

I own a 2011 with the EV430 conversion.  I bought the car with the conversion done so can’t provide a before/after comparison, but based on owning other 400+ bhp cars I’d say my Evora is good for the claimed power.

Reliability has been very good in my ownership (6k miles) – I’ve had a CEL light come on for a dodgy post-cat O2 sensor but that’s it.

I don’t think the first owner of my car who did the mods is on this forum – but I traced his posts on another forum where he documented his upgrade journey.  He had the work done in stages, and according to him there was a good uplift going from stock to EV390, and again from EV390 to EV410, but less of a gain going from EV410 to EV430.

An Evora S plus mods (power, brakes, suspension, bootlid, gearbox) will be much, much, much cheaper than any 410. 

(And then, probably, a bit quicker).