free hit
counters
classic / historic or non stricky tyres on an elise on track ? - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
andyj007

classic / historic or non stricky tyres on an elise on track ?

humour me lads..

so during a track day last year in my clio (now sold)   we spent a number of laps chasing a ford falcon classic,  on a damp snetterton  track 

we just laughed our crash helmets off, he was havving so much fun, every corner was a controlled power slide/drift, we just sat behind him thinking, he was having the best fun out of all of us. whereas id just turn and squirt the clio on full beans he was playing with the throttle  and an awesome display of gracefull car control

the straights were ridiculous,  he stretched away from us at a fair rate of knots, still wheelpsining and controlling wiggles half way along the back straights..

Having attending the goodwood revival meeting a few times, i cant help but thinking of getting something to replicate the tail out fun..

been thinking about parting with the  the evora,  ,  ive looked at westfied x1 and the like but doubt it would get much use.. i was thinking of getting an early s2 (lightweight 122 bhp version) due to its lack of abs, air con, and mainly its simplicity  a back to basics easy fixable with a few spanners type of car...perhaps doing a couple of simple mods, exhaust, induction, head work, so as like a 135 sport or similar. plenty of options to easy get reliable 150bhp

the bhp to tonne ration would be around 200..  which would be more than enough.. 

but how about sticking on some non sticky tyres / vintage historic type rubber, is this even possible?  agreed the corning speeds would be drastically reduced, but the fun factor, of a nice drift would for me work far better than hammering around a corner on full chat with not much to do..

thoughts am i being daft?  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a 118bhp Elise which I tracked last year and must say the first two laps I found it dreadfully underpowered, that was until I realised it actually teaches you , that you must drive smoothly and balanced to get the results. After that it was amazing and well worth keeping. So my answer to your question is that the Elise is a fantastic car on track but it won’t give you the same driving experience as the chap in the falcon. You can get the back end out, but the Elise  is more about balance and poise. Keeps the bends smooth and the wheels as straight as possible to allow the small engine as much chance as possible. Sounds like you want a thumping V8 like a Vauxhall  Monano? At least GM owned lotus once 

32 minutes ago, Stuart Monument said:

I have a 118bhp Elise which I tracked last year and must say the first two laps I found it dreadfully underpowered, that was until I realised it actually teaches you , that you must drive smoothly and balanced to get the results. After that it was amazing and well worth keeping. So my answer to your question is that the Elise is a fantastic car on track but it won’t give you the same driving experience as the chap in the falcon. You can get the back end out, but the Elise  is more about balance and poise. Keeps the bends smooth and the wheels as straight as possible to allow the small engine as much chance as possible. Sounds like you want a thumping V8 like a Vauxhall  Monano? At least GM owned lotus once 

ha ha no. on a v8... i like wht you did with the lotus connection tho :).   l want  a lightweight elise for the very reason that you have to try.. just been out in my evora, its just too easy to drive...  too fast for the road. i imagine it would  track amazing but youd have to be going somewhat at fast speed to get the same thrill as lightweight car... actually   i prefer my 800kg smart roadster coupe with 105bhp for sunday morning blasts on teh road s..  it was way more engaging  (should never have sold that)  thats what i miss in the evora...

my clio 172 track car  was plenty quick enough for fun, with lift off oversteer :)  ...... used to throw that into the corners  then try and gather everything up with a combination of lift of oversteer, and acceleration...    i bolted a set of slicks on it, it transformed it into a boring car... i preferred the semi road tyres, more fun and engaging.. . the lightweight s2 on paper is much quicker 5.6 - 60 against 7.6 - 60 so as long as its not crazy grippy would this n=be fun..

i imagine a s2 Elise would stick to the corners like a slot car . in the dry .   going round corners on rails is not my thing, rallying is too dirty but i like the sensation of always sliding...  having to control the car.. its this i was wondering if the same effect could be had with an elise with some .... less grippier tyres..

problem is id look liek a right slow [email protected] in an elise going so slowing but sideways everywhere :)

I am not a drifter, but I think I understand what you mean. Drifting is too brutal for my taste. But I like a car that moves around. 

Best fun with a Peugeot 309 GTI 16 on the Ring. A FWD you can slide.

For the same reason I like my standard AD07s, they are quite progreesive in the rain. But I can warn you that too bad tyres (mine were too old) makes the car not sliding but snappy. 

I never tried more aggressive set-ups, I have normal road shocks and settings and the car moves quite a bit around. And that is what I like. You maybe as well. Read from Mark Hales on Elise: https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-blog/mark-hales-on-technique-the-lotus-elise/36626 (or on Formula Fords)

• Like 2

It sounds like a Caterham 7 is your perfect track car. A lot more tail happy than an Elise and more progressive.

• Like 1

I've had a couple of S1 Elise's and quite a few Evoras and been on track in both. The Elise is like a scalpel on track, if you drive it right it's hugely rewarding if you enjoy driving on rails and getting it to the edge of it's performance envelope. Set up correctly on good tyres they are incredibly sticky and hard to take beyond the grip limit. The Evora is similar but a more fluid car on track, insomuch that it does move about at the edge of the grip limit (an Elise on sticky tyres (I had R888R) is more snappy) but enjoyably so and with good warning, and when it is moving about it's so easy to keep it under control and steer with the throttle. 

It does sound a little like you'd rather be a hooligan on track than a surgeon though so maybe an Elise isn't the answer, but as Neil says, something like a Caterham which is easier to slide about in would be more suitable for you. 

• Like 1

Just found a video that explains what i was after perfectly..

@Bibs you described it spot on  "The Elise is like a scalpel on track"   im after something with a wide controllable window.. more forgiving and playfull..  fun fun fun, its not all about fastest times and top speed

these guys seem to have it nailed, whilst most track warriors go stiffer lower and stickier tyres, this video does the opposite.. its a great watch

yeah i email Tim   about the tyres wheel combo..

despite being shot in 2013 he came straight back to me. 

"we used 185 / 60 / 15 opel corsa steel wheel and Pirelli tyres"

guys a total car nut has an interesting web site and you tube channel..

https://www.youtube.com/user/timschrickofficial

the guys whos car it is has a pretty damn cool lifestyle too..  plus hies just re done his Elise honda 

http://svenkueenle.com/a-beautiful-new-look-for-the-lotus-elise/