free hit
counters
Beam over gearbox - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Beam over gearbox

The beam that sits over the top of the gearbox can only be bolted when the car is jacked up to align the 4 holes.   I assume it is OK to run the engine with this beam removed?  Anyone know?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Why would you want to.    its worth remembering when the chassis flex's with the beam removed , it pull in the GRP mounting points on the rear of the body.. ..   This should be kept to a minimum,  and adding the vibration of a running engine to the mix seems a little unnecessary ,  especially when it only takes 2 minutes to re-fit ...  I can not see it would cause any serious damage but why take the risk...  Gell crack always starts invisible.. !  

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. Youre right.  2 minute job.

I read a story somewhere about the inclusion / design of the beam. Apparently ACBC was adamant the Esprit didn't need it & was due to be picked up by the first prototype from an airport. The story goes it collapsed just as it pulled in to pick him up.

I think the gearbox mountings were designed to be part of the structure, it just wasn't strong enough in practice.

Maybe someone knows more about the original tale?

@Laida - Pauls - that's a really fine year for your Esprit. We need more (larger) photos.

From your profile "Bonnet (boot) has damper type lift, which (according to SJS) is not correct for year. I tried to replace this with the slider type but bracket too big (screw holes too far apart.) I'm assuming this was a change over / using up old parts thing?"

Some had dampers some had slider type. Mine has had dampers from the start - June 82 build.