free hit
counters
Reversing the front indicators? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Giniw

Reversing the front indicators?

Hi Everyone,

I don't know why but it seems a lot of our cars have the front indicators reversed (indicators towards the exterior).
From experience with my Elan M100 (which had too its indicators in reverse!) I suspect they can't be flipped without removing the front bumper. On the Elan it's not difficult to remove the bumper, but I heard it's quite tedious on the Esprit.

Is it necessary to remove the bumper to flip the indicators on the Esprit? Maybe only the lower part needs to be removed?

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was at an event in Norfolk and an chap who told me his job at Lotus was to sign the cars off told me my indicators were the wrong way round. I knew I had fitted new units so looked at my pics of the car when I got it and Id fitted them the same way round. I then checked the parts manual and I had fitted them as per the manual with the amber on the outside.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f91d8068176956b1IMG_0078.jpg

Roger-Moore-Lotus-Turbo-1000x750.jpg

Maybe the later cars had them the other way round?

buddsy

I believe on the later type cars (Stephens) its not an easy job.  Here in Australia there's a lot of cars with indicators reversed which is always a sign of front end damage and the repairer (not knowing anything about the car) installs the indicators back to front.  So for us it's buyer beware.   

So it looks like the S1 & S2 cars had the clear on the out side and so did the very late cars, the V8s maybe the S4 Cars too??

I know on my G turbo you would have to remove the bumper to turn the unit around.

buddsy

8 hours ago, s4simon said:

front end damage

I like to think it's a simple bumper respray because of stone chips as there are no evidence of any repairs. But of course it's hard to be sure! The thing is, there are many cars with flipped indicators so it can't be that all of them have been damaged.

4 hours ago, Buddsy said:

I know on my G turbo you would have to remove the bumper

Shucks! :D

On the other hand, if the bumper has been removed recently it shouldn't be too seized... And half the screws are probably missing anyway!

Esprit-S4s-2.jpg

s4.jpg

s350.jpg

• Like 1