free hit
counters
"clicking" noise - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Giniw

"clicking" noise

Hello Everyone,

Does any of you happen to know what is that "clicking" noise that is heard here in that video I found? Where does it come from?!

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is that the infamous cracked exhaust manifold noise? I have a similar sound mostly when the car is cold and I tried to locate it with a stethoscope but I am still not 100% positive about its origin.

If you mean the regular ‘chirping’ or squeaking noise, my car does the same, and if you listen to TechSpy’s vids in his rear brake thread, his is identical, too. It does make that sound when cold, which I suspect it’s belt-related. It’s nowhere near as noticeable when the engine is warm.

A cracked manifold makes a different sound, mine did, anyway. Difficult to describe, perhaps @Sparky would be better placed to do that, he’s changed more manifolds than you’ve had hot dinners.

Sounds more like it’s in open loop and it’s not warmed up and completed a learn cycle.

pop a bit hosepipe down by the manifold and stick the other end in your ear - it will b obvious If is the manifold

Yup, sounds pretty normal to me, for a cold engine.

Yes I am talking about that strange "chirping" noise indeed ^^

5 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

pop a bit hosepipe down by the manifold and stick the other end in your ear - it will b obvious If is the manifold

I did that with my stethoscope and nothing was obvious, really — so that would be some good news :)

Actually I was not too worried since I have had already heard quite a few videos with that distinctive sound but I am glad you all confirm there is nothing to worry about :)

Thanks a lot!

Yes, mine does it as well. I mentioned this on another thread just the other day. :)

Edited by Glyn Harper

Thanks, just found the thread:

(and it appears the video I posted is actually from @Techspy's car :D — he mentioned TLF so I am no so surprised ^^)

A stethoscope is great for trying to hear bearing noises etc, but for a crack in the manifold or a split in a vacuum pipe, you can't beat just a piece of hose with the end in your ear.You'll hear the noise as clear as a bell.

Thanks, I suppose the air flow is more obvious in a tube indeed, thanks :)