free hit
counters
Mirror switch oddity - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Currently investigating why the operation of the door mirrors is flaky, they dont really move properly in the direction you want, although they do click in all directions and if you faff about with the switch enough they end up in the right place.

I think I know what the problem is but not really sure why its happening. The switch has 5 connections, there is a common which is fed with 12V and 4 direction contacts. The direction contacts are diagonal so when the joystick is pushed over in each direction, 2 contacts are closed at the same time. This energises 2 out of 4 coils in the mirror which clicks it over. 

What is happening is when the joystick is half-pushed over in any direction the appropriate 2 contacts are closed. But when its fully pushed over, all 4 contacts are closing. This does not seem right. The driver would always push the stick to full extent in each direction. Energising all 4 coils in the mirror makes no sense. 

I opened up the switch but cant see anything wrong with it. 

I was wondering if anyone has a switch which is not currently fitted and could continuity test it with a multimeter to check if its does the same thing? The common connection is marked R (red). 

Also does anyone know how to take the glass out of the mirror to look inside and check there is no problem in there?

TIA

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Andy

Happy to remove a switch tonight and check if you like.  No idea on the mirror though.

Thanks Phil but dont go to the trouble of removing the switch. If you already have the door card off, it can be checked with it still on the door card.

Switch is in but i think fairly easy to remove or not?

It cant be removed without taking off the door card. So dont do that :)

OK.  Let me know if you really need it.  I will then.  I appreciate your help over my gearbox

Am I the only one who saw this thread title and thought about David Bowie?

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my Esprit knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much she knows
Lotus HQ to Major Andy
Your mirrors dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Andy?
Can you "Here am I driving 'round my plastic can
Far beyond Hethel
Where the air's gone blue
And there's nothing I can do"

• Like 2

This is very poetic but only of limited assistance unfortunately :)

I have found another forum member with his car in bits and will go round armed with multimeter at the weekend.

Look forward to the results. I have exactly the same issue.

Pete

I removed the front glass with gentle heating from a hot air gun to soften the tape behind and careful prying away.  But when I saw the chunky way the thing worked, I did not bother with repair, I just swapped in the guts of a cheap pair of Ebay mirrors with proper motor drives and added a corresponding switch to run them.

I decided to put this back together and put up with the small inconvenience of only moving the switch slowly each time until the mirror clunks then stop. It works fine that way.

I did remove the glass, unnecessarily. It simply clips into its backing panel by the surround. 

There is a replacement switch on Ebay for a mere £158 which thankfully I dont need:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aston-Martin-Early-AMV8-Door-mirror-switch-/132283989353

Same problem for me Andy, 

My electric mirrors are currently disabled, so keen to see what you unearth (no pun intended).

Also keen to know about the Ebay alternatives Thomas, there must be some that fit better than others - do you have a link for something suitable?

2011 really stretching my memory, but I just looked for a cheap ($36USD) generic pair on Ebay with heated glass. Pulled the motor and heater, and trimmed the glass mounting plate to fit the Esprit glass. Don't recall exactly if I fabricated a plate to mount the  new motor in the mirror shell or modified what was there.  You'll need a different switch to control it, I pulled a GM item at a junkyard.  I did not take enough pictures......

An Ebay search for "power mirrors + (pair, right and left,left and right)" should bring up a few thousand options.

MirrorRetrofit (1).JPG

MirrorRetrofit (2).JPG

MirrorRetrofit (4).JPG

MirrorRetrofit (5)edit.jpg

Edited by snowrx