Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oz futura radinox rims - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oz futura radinox rims

• Gold FFM

Anyone used replacement rims for their futuras?? 

Im looking at these

http://www.felgenfuchs.de/en/Outer-Lips/18-Inch/OZ-Outer-Lip-18-40-bolt.html

they seem to be reasonable in cost - I know they aren’t original - but I can keep the originals and store on a shelf somewhere. The ally dishes and refurb costs ain’t cheap. This way I can do the whole job at home and they will be easier to maintain.

ps - I’ve measured nothing or checked nowt at this stage. All I do know is at circa £170 a rim refurb with the existing - it’s not a cheap job to do. I’m getting the whole set of Saturn’s done for about that !!

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well, the smart thing is, that theu have been submerged into a harbour for many moons and had absolutely nothing on the surface. Thay also reversed into a nasty stone and nothing happened. And finally, they took the tires off and spun the Wheels on an asphalt toad and nothing happened. Great thing in my Humble view. I am going to use these myself. Just ½" wider.

With regards to original ally rims, I took mine off and polished them by hand to mirror shine. Cheap, get's you a sore arm, and really good looking rims ;)

I also had the nuts bathed into an acid and re-treated to be perfect Again. And finally, I polished all the cromed bolts. No rust, no nothing. Took a few hours.

Cheers,

jacques

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

The following is my guesstimate on the matter, and not exact, so no guarantee.

The non-US Futura Wheels are:

Front: 8,5" * 17"

Rear: 10" * 18".

The Sport300 Wheels are more or less Furura Wheels in design without the center caps and without a facility to bolt anything on, plus a slightly rounded off edge between the "spoked area" and the indentation for the 5 mounting bolts, while also being smaller in diameter, 1" on both front and rear.

Some time ago I took the liberty asking a company who do these rims, what to order.

They told me a few things:

A 10J Wheel is near 11" measured from edge to edge, which is also what I found.

The Width you are interested in measuring and refer to, when ordering other barrels or lips, is the distance between the "real" rim (barrel or lip) left and right, not counting the outermost lip areas on both sides, as they are not the Width in itself, but a support edge, which we may call the tyre bead edge.

A Futura for the Esprit in non-US measure, is split in 3 parts plus centercap, the carbon finishing ring, the fixation bolts plus bolts for looks and symmetry. That is the inner barrel, the middle star and the outer lip.

That lip we want to enhance (widen) ½" to make it resemble the Sport300 Wheels.

Remember the Sport300 car does not (to my knowledge) have special bodywork with regards to the inner depth of the Wheel arch. Only the outer arch is extended by those beautiful arch extensions front and rear. It is therefore my guess, and only a guess, that the Sport300 Wheels were made in similar Width as the Futura model on the later S4s and V8 (or rather vice versa).

I therefore chose to widen the Futura's outwards with ½", meaning I need wider lips rear.

On those Futura, the inner barrel is apprx. 7,75" (7 3/4") wide. That solved.

I also measured the outer lip on that same Futura to be 2,75" (2 3/4") minus the bead edge wil make it a 7,25 (7 1/4") lip.

Ordering a set of outer lips for the rears to make them 10,5" (10 1/2") to adapt 315 tires, will then be 2,75" (2 3/4") radinox lips. Measured alone from edge to edge, those Radinox lips will measure close to 3,25" (3 1/4"), including a ½" for the bead.

The tires on the SE in 1990 (my car) are 8,5 * 16" with 245/50-16" tires. I now use AWI V8 Wheels in size 10" * 18" with 285/35-18". And a 315/30-18" resembles that very well with a "true" speed indication and gearing. That solved.

The fronts I don't change to any wider. They will adopt a AWI similar front tire in 235/40-17", not the wider still Sport300 in 245, as I don't have servo steering (power steering), and don't want it.

Worth noting too, is the desigh of the Radinow lips, which does not resemble the aluminium OZ Futura ones. They are made more like in one "step", rather than in several "steps" from inner bolt adaptation area to the outer tire bead.

On a secondary personal note, I was offered a set of genuine Sport300 Wheels, but turned it down, as I don't find propper tires and they are a bit "old" in size with high side walls - too baloon and too slow steering. I want something more modern and a Little bit lower (with a size up in Wheel size). So, to me at least, the Futura from non-US S4s/V8 makes perfect sense. I have a set, took them apart and renovated it all, but then paused it, as I have other more urgent matters to do with the Esprit. It would mean I'd have to install a set of Sport300 Arches and while I like them, my front side mounted indicators are installed right where the Wheel Arches are supposed to go   ;(    Ggrrrrr........

I would need to moce them, and first I have to buy the Sport300 Arches, the front bumper and front lower lip spoiler, and play around with it. But as I said, more pressing matters are being worked on in secrecy.

Hope it makes some sort of sense and clears it up.

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Gold FFM

Nope - confused. 

I will measure and sketch the bits in the shed the weekend. I will then email this supplier and get some drawings.

Im scruffy when it comes to cars - I drive not Polish - I’m never gonna look after futuras in ally dish - so I’m better removing them and renovating them, keeping for prosperity and fitting new dishes in stainless.

the costs to refurb these wheels are high - and that’s an estimate that will no doubt increase. I know how much it will cost to powdercoat the wheels. I know how much new bolts are - just need to select the dishes. Adding all that up and a known figure that’s less than the unknown estimate - makes this a no brainer for me.

saturns being refurb now - £35 a wheel. Maybe get them back with the new Tyres fitted for the weekend 

Only here once

Barry, take them apart, and buy a set of 2 new rear lips in 2,25" (2 1/4") from in Radinox, supporting the original size and retaining 285 tires rear. I can't remember the fronts off of my head right now. If you want to go 315 tires rear, then add ½" the whose rear lips, making them 2,75" (2 3/4"). When you have the part in your hand and measure them, the bead will add ½", hence the explanation.

Jacques

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Anyone used replacement rims for their futuras?? 

Im looking at these

http://www.felgenfuchs.de/en/Outer-Lips/18-Inch/OZ-Outer-Lip-18-40-bolt.html

they seem to be reasonable in cost - I know they aren’t original - but I can keep the originals and store on a shelf somewhere. The ally dishes and refurb costs ain’t cheap. This way I can do the whole job at home and they will be easier to maintain.

ps - I’ve measured nothing or checked nowt at this stage. All I do know is at circa £170 a rim refurb with the existing - it’s not a cheap job to do. I’m getting the whole set of Saturn’s done for about that !!

I am pretty sure that the outlip for the front is 2" and the rear is 2.5".

But it is not easy to find a 2.5" for the rear, so you better go with 2.75", not 3.25", and make sure that the valve hole on the lip is for 8mm valve stem, not for 11mm 

Barry....I've 25mm spacers on the rear and 10mm on the front is my S4s without any issues...and really fills the arches out nicely. When I get to rebuild my wheels...this is what I'll be increasing the size of my rims by.

• Like 1

Barry - I want to keep the rim sizes on mine the same as they left the factory if possible, so I'm looking forward to discovering what size they are. Have you got the necessary tools for dismantling?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-5132-8mm-1-2-inch-Dia-10-Point-Impact-Socket/152702161085?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 I think that's the one.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, Jacques said:

I took mine apart and measured them.

Jacques

What size were they ? It wasn’t clear in your above post.

11 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Barry - I want to keep the rim sizes on mine the same as they left the factory if possible, so I'm looking forward to discovering what size they are. Have you got the necessary tools for dismantling?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-5132-8mm-1-2-inch-Dia-10-Point-Impact-Socket/152702161085?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 I think that's the one.

Ummm - nope - I’ve got a hammer and a grinder and a selection of star drive things.

ill order one of them now

Only here once

you need to have the right bit to unscrew the bolts, they have less points on the stars than normal.

Then you need a knife to cut the sealant. That's all.

Cheers,

Jacques

• Like 1

Sure @fsrowsell refurbished his himself, he brought the tool to remove the bolts and must of managed to seal them back ok.... spent many hours sanding them too ;) 

• Like 2

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

• Gold FFM

Cheers @internets. I’m planning on replacing the dishes. The powder coat place I use will do the backs black and the centres silver. 

Nice simple satisfying job - just a wee bit costly

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Nut driver came

One front split easy - ready for measuring.

one rear - half the nuts undone - left rest to soak in wd overnight.

the other rear has been refurbed at some point and the nut driver doesn’t fit 🤬 - on the back are 10mm nuts and I reckon they are the narled ones as I can’t get them off from behind with my impacter. Will try my mates mahoosive one tomorrow.

one more front to look at splitting - but tired and fed up now.

id like to have them in bits so I can drop the middles and backs to the powder coaters when I pick up my others

Only here once

• Gold FFM

The oz stamped ones have 10.9 on them. The ones on the refurbed wheel have neither.

i will sort it today I’m sure. I was planning on replacing the lot with new fittings - that way I don’t need to spend hours with a cotton bud.

http://www.titanium-touch.de/onlineshop/product_info.php?products_id=155

Rear barrels - I’m leaning towards powdercoating them black

Only here once

• Gold FFM

A front and a rear now in bits. Slight technical issue has stopped play for now2248C5EE-68A5-4526-A8CE-AD08F8BE9CF8.thumb.jpeg.09d8e68a3529132cfddd9f66620b94e8.jpeg

I may well just crack the angle grinder out later - but for now I’m being patient and waiting to see if Don next door has one when he gets back

Only here once

12 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I was planning on replacing the lot with new fitting

At least the unmarked ones (unknown ratings) would probably be a good idea indeed.

8 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Slight technical issue has stopped play for now

Wow, yet another quality tool... ! :D
Reminds me of that short little video:

• Haha 2

china crap has always been ultra bad low quality, and it still is today. I don't see any change in that way of doing business for a long time still.

It's very simple, you buy one of the most important interesting best sportscars in the world, or in fact anything at all, from a normal cheap people carrier to expensive sportscars, and then buy an ultra low bad made, bad fabricated, bad marketed, bad service, bad performing tool, that is pretty strange to me, at least. Get the propper tools, or leave the job to be done by someone else.

This same complete lack of quality is not only valid for hand tools, but many more areas. Take a look at for example how dangerous a chinese multimeter can explode in your face. 

Another point is copies of good brands. Looking the right way, seemingly good, but under the skin: all bad.

So the questions is this: can you afford not to buy good quality tools?

But at least it's good to talk about it and good to help each other by warning against it.

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Gold FFM

That wasn’t a cheap socket - £13 ish .

utter piece of shite - although - it should be noted the impactor i shattered that with will remove lorry wheel nuts like they are meccano ones.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Resorted to the universal esprit spanner this morning.

now I can drop a pile of bits off when I collect the Saturn’s. Rear bits will be done black and centres silver. Now awaiting the price for the outer dishes.

off to eBay for some new fixings for the centre caps for these and the Saturn’s. Good job done 👍

3B4EA7B1-CC5F-4689-9871-5BF48AD58C96.jpeg

Only here once