free hit
counters
Wet trackday tyres for Exige v6? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mcx

Wet trackday tyres for Exige v6?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere previously.. I have used Avon ZZR for trackdays since owning an Exige v6, but from my experience are pretty challenging on wet days. I have as set of Pirelli PZero Trofeos on the original wheels but have never used them. Are they, as predominantly road tyres, better in the wet than the ZZR (looks like plenty more tread depth and channels etc for water expulsion) or should I be looking at something completely different for wet trackdays? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Trofeo (and R) will be as bad as the ZZR in the wet on track. I'd expect a good option for wet track days would be Michelin Pilot Sport 4, although have no experience using them.

• Like 1

Michelin PS4 will make very good wet track tyres. 

• Like 1

Seem like pretty good value too. Thanks

I use PS4 for wet trackdays.

• Like 1

P-Zero Trofeos are no better than ZZRs in the wet, as already mentioned. Regular P-Zero Corsas should be a considerable improvement.

I tried Avon ZZS's but don't think they're much better than the ZZRs.

It's a good idea to get some proper wets, it would transform a wet trackday but I guess it means trailering unless you drive to the track with them already on. A proper race wet doesn't last long on a dry or drying track though, you'll wreck a set in a couple of laps once it's dry.

Anyone have idea what the Lotus Cup cars use?

Best I could only find was this but the codes for the wets don't correspond with anything I could find on the Avon Motorsport website.

https://www.lotuscupuk.com/entry-regulations/tyres-avon-zzr/

• Like 2

Thanks Jonny.

running Michelin cup 2's and a great all rounder in the dry and a real surprise in the pouring rain at Zandvoort and in general on the road.

On my VX220 with similar power to weight as the Exige Toyo R1R tyres were brilliant in the wet, ADO8R's have a good name too.

Martin S

Edited by MARTIN_S
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, The Pits said:

Regular P-Zero Corsas should be a considerable improvement.

It's a good idea to get some proper wets, it would transform a wet trackday but I guess it means trailering unless you drive to the track with them already on. A proper race wet doesn't last long on a dry or drying track though, you'll wreck a set in a couple of laps once it's dry.

I wouldn't bother with Corsas, they're not very well suited to the Exige and not a great tyre IMO.

I considered running wet tyres, but the problem is that if a section of the track is more dry than another, it can cook them and ruin the tyres. Better to go for something like the PS4 for trackdays I think, plus you can then use them as a road tyre as the wear rates are lower than the ZZR.

Interesting comment on the ZZR vs ZZS, I haven't tried either on Lotus, but on my old Caterham the ZZS were brilliant in the wet.

2 hours ago, MARTIN_S said:

running Michelin cup 2's and a great all rounder in the dry and a real surprise in the pouring rain at Zandvoort and in general on the road.

On my VX220 with similar power to weight as the Exige Toyo R1R tyres were brilliant in the wet, ADO8R's have a good name too.

Martin S

Cheers Martin, I've heard that the latest cup2 s are better than the earlier ones from some other sources. Bit difficult to know which exact tyres you are getting (I hate to mention this on here but with P specific tyres you know if they are N0, N1 etc and that the compounds are different). I guess just go with newest manufacture date maybe?

If you get Cup 2, you could get the same ones that the new 380 and 430 Cups use, assuming you've got the @Seriouslylotus forged wheels.

I'm running 215/45/17 front and 285/30/18 rears. 

I need to get drifting and wear out my trofeos and zzrs. prob try cup2 next if they are like zzr in the dry and better in the wet.

Tried to race a Caterham on ZZSs in the wet, never again! Best wet tyres for the series I race in are super soft Kumho Ecsta V70s or (again super soft) Avon ACB10s. Neither are a full on monsoon race tyre but they are soft enough to generate heat on a wet track. The difference over a ZZS was massive. Both get wrecked in a couple of dry laps though and not sure either are available for an Exige.

Early days on the Michelin Cup2s but the ZZR was the tyre of choice for me on the Exige also the fastest for me in terms of laptime. I even went back on Trofeos at the end to compare as I wasn't sure which offered the ultimate grip and concluded the ZZR edged it in every department. However they were 2014 date stamped so perhaps not at their best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mcx said:

I need to get drifting and wear out my trofeos and zzrs. prob try cup2 next if they are like zzr in the dry and better in the wet.

I can help with drifting if needed :lol: