free hit
counters
Boot leaks - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I know this has been covered but I wanted to ask a question?

the boot is soaking and has been since day one of my 10 weeks of ownership.

i reported it to my dealer who tells me it’s not covered by warranty as lotus doesn’t even cover their brand new cars for being water proof ? True ????

The car needs to have the leaks sorted the dealer says if weather warms up the leaks will resolve especially if you use a car cover when not in use! 

The dealer stance is clear I have to sort it as well as a non working sub / amp which again is not covered by any warranty.

firstly how can I fix water leaks ? The carpet is soaking I can’t keep anything in boot without it getting wet. 

Secondly very very disappointed in dealers stance they reluctantly paid for another dealership to sort out my handbrake on second day of ownership see my other thread, therefore I should be eternally grateful ? Glory be I am only the paying customer !

i now have to sort out the water leaks and non functioning sub/amp which is hugely frustrating but what’s more is the selling dealership attitude !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Who is this dealer? 

One that has been to the Land Rover school of how to show contempt for customers by the sound of it :o

Theyve almost said “the leaks will stop when it stops raining” and advising “covering the car” as a solution is outrageous. 

Yes that’s true their advice is the leaks are very small but given I drive the car once a week and rest of time it’s standing on drive , using a cover will halt the leaks ????

i think not the root problem is the car leaks and given it’s 2010 car these issues should be resolved as they sold me a leaking car !

i am understanding sort of person I don’t want to dam a lotus dealership but I don’t feel as a customer I (we) need to treated with feeble answers that as Lotus the car maker can’t make a car water proof why should we pick up the pieces with the paying customer ? 

I wonder what Lotus would make of one of their dealers telling customers that Lotus can’t make waterproof cars. :o

FWIW mine remains dry apart from a very minor drip on to the drivers sill in very heavy prolonged rain. It is kept in a garage but has been stood out in some very violent thunderstorms in France at times in addition to heavy rain in the UK. My previous VX220 could withstand heavy rain with properly adjusted windows etc.

Disgraceful response from the dealer. Of course the boot shouldn't leak, and the subwoofer if fitted should work. Take the car back if its still in the 30 day period.

Edit - Needed to have been reported to the dealer in the 30 day period.

Check citizens advice and money advice service.

"You have a right to reject something faulty and you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of purchase in most cases."

Edited by Bruss

So did my 400. Silverstone jumped on it, said that the factory had screwed in the adjustors on one side all the way in but not on the other side, so the boot lid wasn't fitting right. They balanced the adjustment and it has never leaked since

Are you 100% sure that the subwoofer isn’t working? (Don’t necessarily expect it to be wired to the subwoofer channel!)

Also, my boot started leaking considerably a couple of years ago. It turns out that I had tried to shut the bootlid whilst a box of wine had been upright under it. This put the hinges ever do slightly out of alignment. Once they were adjusted, the boot remained dry. 

30 days have just passed so I can’t take it back and the dealer is 150 miles away.

the central lotus who looked at the boot a couple of weeks ago tried to adjust boot hinges and said if it still leaks it need to come in for more detailed assessment/work.

my selling dealer will not pay or even meet me half way ! And yes they claim a brand new Lotus is not given with a warranty that covers the car is water proof ! 

I am flabagasted that in this modern age a car can’t be made water tight so your possessions in the boot are ruined like my daughter PE kit when I left in the boot for a couple of hours.

i have been two car audio shops both confirmed sub not working , again dealer told me they didn’t test or check so it’s my problem as warranty doesn’t cover.

i have asked them if the water logged boot causes an electrical issue will I still be covered ? They said no as the water egress was down to me ! I asked if my brake lights were malfunctioning due to water leaks I couldn’t drive car as it would be unsafe , they told me it was still driveable so warranty wouldn’t cover it ! 

I gave up the will to continue the phone call then ! ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

<in this message, I grab the wrong end of the stick and shake it violently>

Edited by trcm

It’s an 8 year old car with an aftermarket warranty. I’m not entirely sure how fussed Lotus themselves will be about it, I’m afraid. 

The car is 8 years old so not sure what sort of warranty would have been given on a car of this age, it would probably be an insurance policy. To reject a car within 30 days it needs to be not roadworthy or unsafe. The dealer will say a car with a fault is not necessarily a faulty car and don't think Lotus can be held responsible for a fault on a car of this age.

Ahh, I read '30 days had just passed' and thought this was a new car!

I was told the warranty was only covering engine , mechanical or electrical faults which make the car not driveable ! That was given verbally no document or contract 

yes the car is 8 years old nearly but the car was leaking long time ago and they would have known that which includes the sub not working ! 

Would Lotus care that my life saving ploughed into this car matters ? No don’t think they be concerned and that’s business world !

would I buy another car from this dealership NO NO NO ! Would I buy a lotus I would have to be seriously thinking about this as little things can add up over time ?

all this not good for a brand like Lotus as the car makers are facing a huge uncertainty given the attack on cleaning the environment ! Do I love my Evora ! Yes so I am forced to spend the money sorting this out !

do I feel stupid ! Yes that’s how I feel after spending 1 hour trying to be courteous in trying to put my points across to the dealer ! 

So I am now deciding to take my car to central lotus unless someone on this forum can provide me a magic solution on how to resolve the leaking boot ? 

This is an 8 year old used car. It is not the responsibility of the manufacturer period.

now - the dealer whom sold it you - that’s a slightly different issue. If it’s been leaking for as long as you say - then why did you not notice this on inspection when looking to buy? None the less - it does seem a pretty shit state of affairs - that’s a simple fix for a dealer

To answer the last reply I didn’t check every aspect of the car as I had a nightmare 5 hr journey down (getting there mid afternoon and leaving when dealership closed) and even worse 5 hr return ! I trusted the dealer and that’s my nature ( lesson now learnt) if I realised this is how a dealer treats me I would have saved a couple grand and bought privately ? 

I have never expected Lotus to take responsibility but the response from the dealer is if Lotus doesn’t offfer the cover for brand new cars how can they do the same for used cars ? Unlike if I bought BMW approved cars there’s a standard across all the dealerships with Lotus it’s non existent 

like I said hopefully this bill for sorting the water leaks will be reasonable 🙏

the sub/amp replacement which looks likely will be at £300-400 ! So I will have to stage the priororities meaning water leak first !

oh yes didn’t mention that central lotus had to adjust tracking when they sorted the handbrake as it was good, I hadn’t driven the car more than 20miles at that stage !!!! Again the seller dealership should have checked the car at prep before delivering it to me ? 

My name evora leaked, there was a lotus service note which was drilling 2 holes in the boot floor ( I'm not kidding). This drained the water out. Lotus changed the seals but try lifting them a little and put some silicone grease on them, if it stops then you know it's the seals.

Gav 

16 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

all this not good for a brand like Lotus as the car makers are facing a huge uncertainty given the attack on cleaning the environment ! Do I love my Evora ! Yes so I am forced to spend the money sorting this out !

My 8 year old Evora is epic, I love it to bit and drive it everywhere. That's good for the brand, horses for courses.

To be fair, needing to spend potentially a few hundred quid on a car which was initially the thick part of £60k new when it's 8 years old shouldn't be a surprise or too much of a big deal. Had your car been brand new or still within manufacturer warranty, I'm very confident Lotus would have fixed it to your satisfaction but not even Kia offer a warranty on a car which left the factory such a (relatively) long time ago!

With regards to you spending your life savings on the car, lots of people do and to be fair, your life savings are slowly appreciating in an Evora, you can have them back whenever you like and you get to drive and enjoy them in the meantime. It's not that bad a deal, certainly better than popping them on 'even' and crossing your fingers or even leaving them in the bank, slowly being eaten by inflation.

With regards to the leak, can you see where it's coming in from? I'm out at the moment so can't check on my car but are there any drainage channels blocked around the lip of the boot, can you see any water accumulations?

There should be 3 drain holes in the boot lid so that when it rains, any water exits the boot lid.

The rubber seals should be intact and complete.

If it was my car... I would take out all the carpets, ensure the boot is fully dry, then arrange tissue/kitchen roll around the inside of the boot, and use the hosepipe to then discover WHERE the water is entering, only then can you set about fixing it.

• Like 1

Lotus Silverstone fixed my leaking boot on 3 year old 2011 Evora , under warranty, when I bought it from them.

Probably worth a call to understand potential costs to fix. 

Bibs I take your point I am not critical of lotus in any shape and don’t expect anything from the brand 

my gripe is with dealer who I believe knew about the leaks as they eluded to that in the long conversation 

I am fully prepared to invest addition money in the car I expect that but initially I purchased the car from dealer believing I would get better customer care and even a little respect ?

i can’t see any clear signs as to where the leaks are emerging everything seems ok and intact ? Central lotus technician said he couldn’t spot anything hence I will take car back to them to assess it and of course pay for this !

i have tried to search the service notes and even the thread on the boot leaks but can’t find them again can anyone provide me the above ? 

It’s gonna be better to help yourself. Trial and error.

do you Park nose down or nose up?

Park nose up !

i didn’t find out about the leaks until after 30 days as in the first few weeks I had the car under cover due to the snow and ice 

therefore it’s only now become so apparent in the last two/ theee weeks , I had emailed the dealer twice in that time and only yesterday did I get a phone call 

so yes my gripe is with the seller dealership 

I will remove the carpet mats this and dry them in the airing cupboard for 24hrs at least it’s going to stop the damp smell building up !

On 11/04/2018 at 22:03, pete said:

The car is 8 years old so not sure what sort of warranty would have been given on a car of this age, it would probably be an insurance policy. To reject a car within 30 days it needs to be not roadworthy or unsafe. The dealer will say a car with a fault is not necessarily a faulty car and don't think Lotus can be held responsible for a fault on a car of this age.

Hey All!

You can reject a car for much less, provided you have given the dealer the opportunity to resolve the issue(s) and then, if they have not been sorted you can reject the car under the sale of goods act.  Its not linked to the cars road worthyness at all.

My sister-in-law did this when she bought a used Nissan Note.  It was 2 years old I think and constantly squeaked like it was an old banger.  The dealer did very little to sort the problem, but did get the opportunity.  I went down to the dealer with her and we rejected it, with a letter.  Amazingly they tried claiming of not having heard of this before, but I very quickly called their bluff.  14 days later refund received.7

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/34744/rejecting-a-new-or-used-car-top-tips

So Clive - have a look in to this, its not limited to 30 days either, it does get more difficult after this and I'm sure grey areas will creep in that need to be thrashed out.  It sounds to me like you're giving the dealer every opportunity to resolve the issues so you've certainly got a basis for a rejection if you so choose.  In terms of the amount, it will unlikely be 100% now as the car has had some (albeit minor use) so again something to thrash out.

I'm going to guess this is the dealer you told me about 😞  I'll certainly be very wary of them then in my dealings with them.

On 12/04/2018 at 19:26, Cdm2018 said:

Bibs I take your point I am not critical of lotus in any shape and don’t expect anything from the brand 

my gripe is with dealer who I believe knew about the leaks as they eluded to that in the long conversation 

I am fully prepared to invest addition money in the car I expect that but initially I purchased the car from dealer believing I would get better customer care and even a little respect ?

i can’t see any clear signs as to where the leaks are emerging everything seems ok and intact ? Central lotus technician said he couldn’t spot anything hence I will take car back to them to assess it and of course pay for this !

i have tried to search the service notes and even the thread on the boot leaks but can’t find them again can anyone provide me the above ? 

Water takes many routes.  how about using a bit of glitter in some water and pouring it over controlled areas?

Could it be coming up from underneath?

the sale of goods act was superceded by the consumer rights act and states:-

Second-hand car from a dealer

When you buy a second-hand car from a used-car dealership in the UK, you have rights under the Consumer Rights Act (which replaced the Sale of Goods Act from 1 October 2015). You should expect the car to:

• be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
  • meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the ad or in discussions prior to sale)
  • be fit for purpose (in this case, to get you from A to B safely).

It's important that you take into account the mileage, age and how the car is described to you.

If the second-hand car does not meet these requirements, you have the right to claim against the used-car dealer for breach of contract. You should make contact with the dealer as soon as possible, and can follow our step-by-step tips on how to complain about a second-hand car not fit for purpose.

If something you buy is not as described, or the seller is guilty of misrepresentation, you're entitled to:

• give the second-hand car back and get your money back
  • ask for compensation if you want to keep the car (usually the cost of any repairs it needs).

Second-hand car warranties

If you bought a warranty, or your second-hand car came with a guarantee, you may be able to claim on that to get any problems fixed. 

However, having a warranty does not affect your legal rights. You could still either reject the car or claim against the dealer under the Consumer Rights Act (if you bought it after 01 October 2015) or Sale of Goods Act (if you bought it before 01 October 2015).

Need help with your second hand car rights?

Which? legal experts can help!

From only £9 a month you can get all the legal advice and support you need to get you back in the driving seat.

To join, call us on  01992 879 549 or join Which? Legal

Bought with a credit card

If you bought your car with a credit card, you can also claim against the credit company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. 

Those with debit cards may be able to claim through the chargeback scheme. 

If you've bought the car on hire purchase, you can reject it through the finance company, as long as it meets the criteria above.

• Like 1

Read some of the very good comments 

the dealer Snows is absolutely not moving from their warranty conditions they have set which wasn’t contained in any writing :document , which means I can’t point to a warranty cover !

the boot still leaks I have checked the drain holes but I have noticed the boot lid catch in a corner so possibly this could be source of where water enters ? 

The seals look ok but I don’t know for sure ?

the dealer hasn’t come back to me now for some weeks , I still have to sort out the sub/amp issues which as stated before Snows stated audio equipment wasn’t covered by this invisible warranty cover !