free hit
counters
Blogged Excel now on ebay - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mjcarter73

Blogged Excel now on ebay

Hi All- not sure if any have been following my restoration of an '84 Excel (https://majcd213.blogspot.co.uk) but this car is now on eBay so please feel free to check it out. I needed to change a number plate light- what an unexpected pleasure that job was -for something that should take 5 mins! Anyway done now, fresh MOT and ready for summer!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you ended the listing?

Hi all- its an error in the listing. I didn't give a sensible starting price as a guide and consequently I think everyone thought the reserve was lower than it was. The bidding was stalled well below the reserve so I thought it best just to take the cancellation fees and relist it as an Ebay classified- with best offers invited. Hopefully this will give everyone some idea of the ballpark I'm in as well as taking away the time pressure. If you had bid on this car I have written to you personally- well as far as ebay messaging will allow- apparently there is a limit to the number you can send in one day... who knew?

Mike

I hadn't even noticed how many bids it had taken to get to just under £4k  (for the record, it was 36 bids), so yes probably a wise move. Some people will have no idea about the cars and be a PITA if they won, others who may be serious might discount it thinking that at a very low price it must be a rough example.

It's great to see Excel values on the rise as they've  been an under estimated Lotus 2+2 model in my opinion. The HC engine has a great note > 3.5k revs and is a very practical classic being great for those that need the bucket seats for kids/pets .

Your only problem may be competition from a couple of cracking later example F/G reg cars up for sale at the moment one clearly owned by a forum enthusiast.

Hi Damien,  you are right about the competition...  seems to be a bad time to sell an Excel from that point if view.   Its difficult to balance in price terms later cars against the rarity issue, and rebuild...  BUT,  as I say in the listing I am very open to offers...  even cheeky ones. If you get an autoreject then its too cheeky but the reject price is set at the same level as the old reserve. This is my attempt to get as close as I can to a Dutch style auction...

...and if I have to keep it,  then summer is coming (hope)  and I can get a full season of shows and Hill climbs!! 

Best of luck with your lovely Excel Mike.

'Watched' the F Reg one reach £9k on Ebay yesterday and feel that this was a great buy for someone £10-11K would not have surprised me - let's hope your model sells to a good home.

10 hours ago, DaKa said:

Best of luck with your lovely Excel Mike.

'Watched' the F Reg one reach £9k on Ebay yesterday and feel that this was a great buy for someone £10-11K would not have surprised me - let's hope your model sells to a good home.

Thanks,  I hope so but then again, if the prices are (at last)  starting to benefit from the classic car price ripple effect it might be better to keep it for the investment.  As it stands Ive not had much/ any interest - just some criticism for changing the format.  All in all I wont be too disappointed if I have to keep it for a while longer!

• Like 1