free hit
counters
400/410 Race mode - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jonnyboy

400/410 Race mode

Activated this for the first time today is it right that it disables traction control? I thought race mode was an advanced version of the traction control? Car went nicely sideways on part throttle in the wet anyway :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It disables traction control but keeps ESC on to recover the car if the slide gets too quick and/or too sideways.

Read through (and watch) this lot:

It gives you the most detail on all of the various modes. 

Are we certain the Race function on the Evora works in the same way as the Exige? For example, I can repeatedly get really quite wide angles of oversteer with Race engaged, with no intervention detected at all, even after the first incident. 

Greg

I was told by a Lotus engineer that the Evora RACE mode works in the opposite way to the Exige.

That article is based on the Exige system. The Evora starts with a more conservative guess regarding grip levels and then loosens up, gradually reducing intervention if the system decides that the rear tyres could handle some more torque.

The Exige system starts with a high threshold (before intervening) and gradually reins it in. The downside of that system is that the fastest way to get it working properly is to start with a slide so is considered unsuitable for road use. The upside is that it continually fine tunes the amount of torque to the rear wheels until its optimised for the level of grip available. In theory you are making fewer steering corrections with every lap.

I guess the downside of the Evora system is that it starts with a safety net but gradually takes it away meaning that you might have to start making larger steering corrections as you increase your pace. Both systems have an ultimate safety net of ESP intervention when things get really out of shape but the gap between RACE TC working and the ESP safety net is getting smaller with the Exige system and increasing with the Evora one.

• Like 1

Is the latest Evora though different though to the earlier ones?

I thought the Evora system (2011 on) applied braking and reduced throttle when required according to yaw and speed sensors, increasing intervention as required?

Lotus DPM and RACE mode was introduced with the Exige V6, the first Evora to use the system was the Evora 400.

Jonny, I’m a bit confused then. I get far greeter slip in Race than Sport. Unless of course mine isn’t working properly. Race for me is pretty much the same as it all turned off.

Greg

Yes I was told that SPORT is a good choice for a neat fast lap on an Evora. I don’t know why they reversed it for the Evora, my best guess was that they felt it was more appropriate to use a more road based system. Shame the Evora doesn’t work like the Exige because RACE is brilliant in the Exige, I used it all the time, so smooth in operation it just bleeds away excess throttle. Best TC system I’ve ever used. SPORT was more typical of what most other cars use and it was pretty crude in comparison just cutting the throttle dead bringing it back in with a big surge rather than easing off and back on like RACE does. 

I’ll give the Evora system a thorough test on my next wet trackday and report back with my findings. Obviously be good to read other owners findings too. GT430s also have the 5 stage variable TC system too which will be interesting to play with. It is pure TC though with no stability control safety net. Elise’s from 06 onwards has a simple version of it and I can confirm that you can definitely spin with it on!

For sure when it comes to do some 'only drifting' laps on a wet track, race or sport modes interfere too much and need to be turned totally off.