free hit
counters
Announcement: TLF International Lotus Day 2018 - TLF International Lotus Day | MBW/Brooklands - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Announcement: TLF International Lotus Day 2018

Sadly due to MBW telling us that they can no longer host this event due to 'anti-competitive' company policy we are looking for a new location for 2019 and this year will be skipped.

Apologies for those who enjoyed coming but I have looked at alternatives and finding somewhere willing to host so many cars has been a struggle. I will endeavour to negotiate a new location for next year and will make every effort to keep this a Free of Charge event if possible.

Like Glastonbury, it's sometimes good to have a year off and let the grass recover! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not such a central part of the country, but can’t a little company in Norfolk even come up with a bit of space?

57 minutes ago, Bibs said:

'anti-competitive'

Errrr.... isn't Geely is the biggest investor in Mercedes.

Ironic isn't it! 

It started to change last year when they wanted to charge us £4,800 to host the event. 

• Like 1

That’s sad.

still the big 70th birthday bash at Hethel will make up for it 

oh.......

Excuse my ignorance but could it be held next door at the Brooklands site?  There is a vast new concourses area where the old hanger used to be, from the main build to the original track.  We went there last September and recon there were at least 800 cars parked there and on the track.

Or does Mercedes now own the Brooklands site too?

• Like 1

That's an option for next year, but I was trying to keep this event free and they charge entry. 

6 hours ago, 2GOOD said:

Not such a central part of the country, but can’t a little company in Norfolk even come up with a bit of space?

3 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

What about Lotus? Surely they would look at it like they did previously? Plus they may sell some cars and even heaven forbid, some merchandise etc.

Stupid question really when they aren't even having a 70 year celebration why should they care about a hundred or 2 of their best customers!

Hmmm.. 🤔 😀

I’d be very surprised if Bibs hasn’t already considered Hethel.

A certain mr Rickets has a lovely couple of fields and a superb collection to view. Very welcoming gentleman also.

It would be good to look at organising something ourselves for sure.

ahem, @JayEmm Magnitude Events got any suggestions? Would be great to organise a noisy trackday for owners of the current range.

14 minutes ago, top-plumber said:

A certain mr Rickets has a lovely couple of fields and a superb collection to view. Very welcoming gentleman also.

I have heard of this and would love to see his collection ! 

:blink:

He already has an annual open day folks which many attend, including myself. Not sure he'd be over the moon with TLF taking it over. 

Will try and attend the next one if he continues with them 

It's well worth the journey :D

• Love 1

Could join up with MLOC for Lotus in the peak, that would be a great event to have a  70th celebration and in the middle of the country. Two great owners groups would make it a special day.

@The Pits I will put my thinking cap on and see if there is any way we can help out.

I'd love to organise a noisy track day for non race cars but the cost is slightly sickening!

@scotty435, as with Malcolm's event, this is an MLOC event and I'm happy to help them with marketing on here and our social but won't gate crash with our event.

As I posted above, I'm looking for an alternative venue for next year and have some good leads of where to go :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Pits said:

Very sad to hear this, the MBW days have been fantastic and along with the Brands festival one of the highlights of the year.

I'm pretty sure most here would rather pay an entry fee than lose the event altogether. Still, must be a lot of hard work for very little financial reward (if any!) I can understand taking a break for a year.

Thanks for all the days we have had. :thumbup:

I'm with Jonny, think most of us would pay for a ticketed or pay on the door etc to get a 2018 event on board. Or 2019 if too soon to get organised for this year. MBW and Brands always the best car days out of the year.

Happy to help if needed. And yes also agree thanks Bibsy for organising over the years. 

• Like 2

On 16/04/2018 at 18:25, Bibs said:

That's an option for next year, but I was trying to keep this event free and they charge entry. 

The entry fee at Brooklands isn't too much and it's a superb venue.  Brooklands will promote the event on their website too.

We've had loads of superb days there, including last year: https://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?78448-Brooklands-American-Day-Photos&styleid=9

• Like 1

Sad to hear this... I was looking forward to visiting Brooklands again, but had already figured beginning of May as per usual had become highly unlikely. Luckily we still have Brands, and something new to look forward to for next year!

Filip

• Like 1