free hit
counters
Announcement: TLF International Lotus Day 2018 - Page 3 - TLF International Lotus Day | MBW/Brooklands - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Announcement: TLF International Lotus Day 2018

• Gold FFM
34 minutes ago, pete said:

Suggestions?

I made some a few posts ago but happy to repeat myself and build.

Silverstone

Oulton park

Anglesey

Aintree

Croft

Tatton Park

Dunham Massey....

Happy to help.

Ive already flown down for the TLF xmas dinner in Kent. Great event. Maybe time for the southerners to see the rest of the country as people outside of the South also, maybe surprisingly, buy and appreciate Lotus cars.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just leave it a year, still call it the 70th celebration and tell everyone it has been on back order. Problem solved 

Very sad to hear this, the MBW days have been fantastic and along with the Brands festival one of the highlights of the year. I'm pretty sure most here would rather pay an entry fee than lose the

I’d happily pay - it’s a great spot - hotels great as well.  Trouble is I suppose - some buggers are too tight to even pay for ffm on here 👍

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Next you’ll suggest doing something at say Hethel to celebrate a birthday/anniversary maybe 

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Is that in Fife? They grow lots of turnips in Fife.

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

How about combining it with Coventry Motofest? It’s centrally located, usually held early June, has ample exhibiting space for clubs allocated across the city, has a great transport museum as well as live action motorsport all within walking distance. It’s also free for spectators and has hotels for all budgets.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
7 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

How about combining it with Coventry Motofest? It’s centrally located, usually held early June, has ample exhibiting space for clubs allocated across the city, has a great transport museum as well as live action motorsport all within walking distance. It’s also free for spectators and has hotels for all budgets.

Yes. But its Coventry...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pete said:

The only one there that doesn't appeal is Angelsey

If renting the track was also an option then Anglesey would be an ace location.

On 16/04/2018 at 20:03, The Pits said:

Very sad to hear this, the MBW days have been fantastic and along with the Brands festival one of the highlights of the year.

I'm pretty sure most here would rather pay an entry fee than lose the event altogether. Still, must be a lot of hard work for very little financial reward (if any!) I can understand taking a break for a year.

Thanks for all the days we have had. :thumbup:

Absolutely.  Brooklands!!!  Obvious.  TBH, always felt guilty that it was free anyway!!!  At least paying for Brooklands, we get a fantastic load of value-for-money in return.  It's not as if we're paying the fee to attend a meet in an empty field in the middle of nowhere!  Does anyone really have to start listing all the advantages, benefits and attractions of the Brooklands site.  Don't forget the hotel.  And you can still use all of the MBW facilities/attractions.

• Like 1

IF the new venue is not to be Brooklands, then we need to agree what the new venue will/must have to offer.  Otherwise, with some suggestions, we will end up with  people potentially driving hundreds of miles at the crack of dawn and then the same back home in the evening because there's no hotel on site ie walkable to the site, and no reason to stay the whole weekend.

So, as with MBW/Brooklands, to make the travel worthwhile, we need not just a hotel but a good hotel on site.  Once I'm there I do not want to be driving a mile to and from a hotel on Satuday and Sunday.  We mostly have wives and girlfriends with us so the weekend has to be for them too so the hotel (like Brooklands) needs to have sweeteners for them eg spas, beauty treatments etc.

We need the 'site' to be a major attraction in its own right.  I'm not going to attend a field full of Lotuses if there's nothing major to interest me on site for the other day.  Preferably will have two attractions on the site, if we're going to attend repeatedly.  Said attractions need to be appropriate, something akin to what MBW and Brooklands has to offer.  For example, the vast majority (all maybe?) of attendees do not attend with children, for obvious reasons (number of seats, for one), so the said attraction is no good if it's meant for kids.

Needs to have excellent catering facilities ie cafes and good restaurants, as well as casual outlets dotted around.  Again, this is a weekend away, so it needs to be a treat, not a chore.

Finally, location, all very well people talking about other locations and to an extend I agree with some suggestions, but remember the population distribution.  Fact is Brooklands was closest to most!  Yes other locations are closer to some but are then farther away from most.  I don't live in Surrey by the way; I (we) travel and stay in the hotel.  Hence the need for other attractions, restaurants (multiple for variety), hotel, museums, experiences, etc.

Can't think of anywhere better then Brooklands, still.  I've read a lot of ideas eg Silverstone, Brands, this place, that place, but they're just 'place names' and they haven't been backed-up with reasons why I would travel there for the weekend.

2 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

^^^^^^ OK we all get that you're keen on Brooklands!

Uh oh, just posted another too.  I will now shut up and give others a chance.

• Gold FFM

Forget about population density, the thing that matters is Lotus ownership density. But hey, if a bunch of english lotus owners who live in the south of england want to have a local meeting to suit them then hey ho. Fill your boots and get on with it.

Hotel or not, the reality for me is an 8-9 hour drive each way. For someone in the north, a 6 hour drive each way. We already spend most of the year travelling huge distances for "events" so yeah, hugely chuffed to do it yet again. Super. Cracking. Smashing. Fill yer boots. I'll never get to one. I keep checking to see if I'm on the playground.

I'm quite happy to stay in a hotel, potter about a field of lotuses and then have an organised drive the next day.

I have no interest in all in shopping or other such "activities" or most "attractions". My biggest attraction is driving my Lotus on good roads with good, solid, Lotus people and sharing a pie and a pint later in the evening. Cannot think of anything more bloody boring on a weekend away than "shopping" or going round an "attraction".

We're all different....

• Like 2

How about Donnington?

Central, airport nearby for foreigners, hotels, circuit for track day, museum for classics.

• Like 1

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

Great choice. 5 minutes from your house and I guess I can fly the Evora down no problem :(

Oh yes, and central if you live in the south. i love the "england centric" view and i'm an englishman.  I'm sure Stafford, Manchester or even Birmingham would consider themselves more "central" than Donnington!

We could have it at Knockhill. That's central. Central Scotland that is....

• Like 1

Donnington Park? It’s East Midlands? 130miles north of brooklands?

Sorry, I figured that was more central than brooklands.

I’ll shut up now then.

• Haha 1

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM
46 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

You'd do well to get from West Berkshire to Donington in 5 minutes!

Also Donington used to have a big Lotus Festival of its own before the boardroom shenanigans. I think that's the event now at Brands Hatch.

Thatcham, where Lee lives (I believe) to Donnington is 3.5 miles. OK, so 10 minutes.

47 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Donnington Park? It’s East Midlands? 130miles north of brooklands?

Sorry, I figured that was more central than brooklands.

I’ll shut up now then.

Ah - that Donnington - yes. That would be fine. Good shout. The Norton museum is right near there too for those who need other "attractions" :)

I still think it should be somewhere the public would be visiting on a day out, and they get the bonus of a lot of Lotus cars. I  don't think a race circuit would do for this.

I like the suggestion of the Coventy Motofest and think Gaydon might be a good location (not been to either) - I know bibs has mentioned the latter as a possible location in the past.

• Gold FFM

I don't give a stuff about the public. I'm a selfish git. 

• Gold FFM
10 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I don't give a stuff about the public. I'm a selfish git. 

That makes 2 of us. ;)

But, with the other big Lotus event already at Brands Hatch, it could be a good idea to find a different setting than a racetrack. I'd try and make it either way, would love to do a few laps at Donnington or any other track. Not sure I'd be willing to pay £300 for a full day though, as I would spend only a limited time on track and a lot of time with the cars and owners gathered.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Also don't forget that TLF at MBW was a one day (Sunday) only event. Any activities that people got up to on the Saturday were extra curricular so to speak. It must be easier/cheaper to  book a location for just the one day.

• Bibs unpinned this topic