free hit
counters
Metcalfe's Esprit live video later today - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
scotty435

Metcalfe's Esprit live video later today

On 20/04/2018 at 07:42, ChrisJ said:

y4mqQPHapkh4B1OfFqWEbAxxFwdmGx99CdwGDvbh

It is also the one that drove up the M1 to the first Club Lotus Donnington event with the front covered in cling film to protect it from the flies as it was entered in the concours :thumbup:

That brings back memories, I used to own that car but the pictures are from the original owners time. He is a friend of mine and bought the car new having a number of items personalised at the factory or immediately after it was delivered. The interior was a lovely mix of black with some subtle red highlights and the stereo was an amazing Nakamichi setup. I remember hearing the story of the rear louvres being tough to paint, it needed a high plasticity paint to cope with the flex and expansion apparently. He was borderline too tall for the car so in 11 years of ownership it only covered 14,000 miles and always kept immaculately clean. In the end he would enter the concourse competitions every other year to give others a chance. 🙂  I regret selling that one, it's non personalised number plate is D955 UGO, if anyone knows where it is now it would be great to get an update and hopefully find out it is still going strong.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Last Mot’d in 2011 when it still had low miles of only 53,000. Probably lying in storage somewhere. Details can be found here 

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

@cweeden Say hi to Nick for me would you.

Used to go to all the events with him, Martin (S2.2), Phil (purple Europa - now owns a Morgan 3 wheeler). His brother used to own a N/A X180.

Got a few more pictures of this car - mainly at the Surrey Goodwood events.

y4mpn-SmlEli4VFrcar-9CTcLWlUmBlQNIASnPLj

55 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

@cweeden Say hi to Nick for me would you.

Used to go to all the events with him, Martin (S2.2), Phil (purple Europa - now owns a Morgan 3 wheeler). His brother used to own a N/A X180.

Got a few more pictures of this car - mainly at the Surrey Goodwood events.

y4mpn-SmlEli4VFrcar-9CTcLWlUmBlQNIASnPLj

Hi Chris, I will let them know you say hi. Phil is now an instructor at Mercedes Benz World, were you at Goodwood the day the wheel fell off the Europa? I wasn't but I have heard about it, a lucky unlucky event since it fell off just as he pulled away from the circuit and not a few minutes before while on track which would have been disastrous. 🙂 We are off to compete in an Ascari 24hr race next month, Nick was always happier going fast on the bits that connect the corners so isn't joining us. The X180 that would be Nick's brother (another Chris) and not Phil's I think. Will he know you by name or by the car you were driving back then?

Hi Chris - I certanly was at Goodwood that day. I reminded Phil of it when I met him at the 2nd B&C Goodwood track day a couple of years ago - when he was in his 3 wheeler. He was lapping extremely quickly as well, we were a bit suprised when he walked back in 10 minutes after leaving. Yes, Nick's brother had the X180 - red as well.

He would know me by both I'd think - I've still got the same car. Any excuse to post a picture :thumbsup:

Mine:

y4mZiriLw2dwR8bcILXxewDahdLTM_1ggykrr8Jp

His

y4m54evi9qD61SEsjPE-iRnpR6UrkUdcIvMLKP8l

Interesting how much higher the later G cars sat. Noticed it on Harry's video as well (back on topic :) ) 

Wasn't 42 TFK the one where the owner paid a hired help (one of his employees) to clean the car when it turned up to enter the concourse at Castle Coombe? He was something to do with frozen foods??

I heard (not sure it's true) that somebody spayed the word C**k on the car leading him to sell it.

If he spayed it must have been his 🐕

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

23 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

Wasn't 42 TFK the one where the owner paid a hired help (one of his employees) to clean the car when it turned up to enter the concourse at Castle Coombe? He was something to do with frozen foods??

I heard (not sure it's true) that somebody spayed the word C**k on the car leading him to sell it.

I'm not sure he paid someone to clean it but I know he got on well with some of the guys who worked for him at Smithfields. I'm sure someone would have helped him clean it at an event but Nick was OCD to the max when it came to keeping it clean. It did get vandalised one night in Cheam with the work W****r in spray paint on one side but the layers of wax meant if polished off quite easily and wasn't the reason for the sale. 🙂

cheers

-Chris

• Haha 1

Hi Chris

Maybe the guy I spoke to doing the cleaning was just having a bad day. It was undoubtedly a fabulous Esprit in absolutely pristine condition. 

I remember that car as well - I think I spoke to the owner once at Donny - I'm sure this is the same one - 

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOwners/EddieMcGlone.html - Thanks I think to Mark as its your site..................

I remember due to the painted slats and that Japanese Stereo.

Edited by nello

2 hours ago, nello said:

I think I spoke to the owner once at Donny

@nello - If it was the first Donnington event, we might have met

• Like 1

That car would go so much faster if he closed the glovebox😉 Great to see him using it and off on another adventure that will be great to see👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't flippin' wait!

Can't flippin' wait!

Wowsers........Harry you a brave man - that car is 33 years old!! This is going to be a video worth seeing for sure!!👏👍

• Like 2

Yes @nello all cars have to be used, otherwise they deteriote also. Oil seals dry out and brakes can seize etc.

As long as you are thorough in their cleaning and only use on dry, unsalted days, and don't drive through standing water they're OK.

Every time I've laid a car up it's taken a day or two to get it running well again.

Yep agreed David - and as mentioned from experience nothing worse for a car than not being used. Mine was not for the want of not wanting to use it (if you see what I mean?!!)

If the car had only covered 23k miles in 30+ years then it has spent long periods without use. It must have undergone a major recommissioning at some point. That said I feel Esprits have a bad rep because of widespread lack of upkeep. I have no benchmark of course but are they that highly strung (even when in fine fettle) that it should be a surprise that one did 2k miles without issue? Harry Metcalfe obvs didn’t think so .

Ill be sorely disappointed if mine isn’t reliable after rebuild. Run in and teething period understood. PI mean potential deal breaker disappointed. I have faith in classic Lotus 😅

46 minutes ago, GTK said:

If the car had only covered 23k miles in 30+ years then it has spent long periods without use. It must have undergone a major recommissioning at some point. That said I feel Esprits have a bad rep because of widespread lack of upkeep. I have no benchmark of course but are they that highly strung (even when in fine fettle) that it should be a surprise that one did 2k miles without issue? Harry Metcalfe obvs didn’t think so .

Ill be sorely disappointed if mine isn’t reliable after rebuild. Run in and teething period understood. PI mean potential deal breaker disappointed. I have faith in classic Lotus 😅

Talking of videos.........?🤔😉👍

• Haha 1