free hit
counters
Metcalfe's Esprit live video later today - Page 4 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Metcalfe's Esprit live video later today

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It has landed!  

Harry on his way back to the UK. Nearly flat out..

Posted Images

That was an enjoyable watch.  I do admire Harry's style, he keeps on top of his fleet, but isn't precious about using them as intended.

4 hours ago, Fridge said:

I'd rather take it on the SNCF car transporter to Nice

... unfortunately, it doesn't exist any more. Which is so very nice for climate change considerations, isn't it? \o/

https://www.oui.sncf/train/services-train/hiflow

Le service Auto/Train a cessé son activité.

Le transport de votre véhicule reste possible avec notre partenaire Hiflow (anciennement Expedicar).

Hiflow est partenaire SNCF depuis 2017.

N'attendez pas pour faire transporter votre véhicule avec le transporteur de votre choix : conducteur particulier, transporteur camion, chauffeur professionnel...

So now they offer an alternative: you can pay someone to drive the car for you (either a random bloke (!) or a professional) or put it on a truck. So very great ...

I once looked for a ferry to put a car on a boat from northern-ish France to Spain, but ... yeah, you guessed it, it doesn't exist any-more either.

Remember, cars are bad and you need to use an alternative. Which doesn't exist. But who cares, really?

Edited by Giniw
  • Confused 1

@Giniw I'd need to look into it more carefully. However it seemed to exist last summer when I briefly enquired into the service online.

I would take 3 days or so to travel the length of France if so, as I have enjoyed my driving and cycling holidays in France many times.

46 minutes ago, KennyN said:

That was an enjoyable watch.  I do admire Harry's style, he keeps on top of his fleet, but isn't precious about using them as intended.

Agree about all this and Harry's Garage is probably my favourite thing to watch (including whats on the box!) However it does help that you have the funds to maintain / keep  and not worry about doing a massive tour in etc. Recall he took his Testarossa to the Sahara and it gave him a  massive bill in Servicing etc on return. Then again I would if I could!

21 minutes ago, Fridge said:

However it seemed to exist last summer when I briefly enquired into the service online.

Apparently it ended by the end of 2019:

http://www.leparisien.fr/economie/sncf-terminus-pour-autotrain-10-04-2019-8050518.php

https://www.lefigaro.fr/conso/l-autotrain-c-est-bientot-fini-20190411

https://www.la-croix.com/Economie/France/Clap-fin-lauto-train-2019-04-12-1201015269

Edited by Giniw
  • Like 1
  • Gold FFM

If you cross their palm with silver. 

Club Lotus organised the tickets for me, but yes. I drove it amongst all sorts of other machinery from brand new prancing donkeys to old MGs and other sort of stuff.

Looks like this year might be sold out https://www.lemansclassic.com/language/en/clubs/

• Like 2

What a brilliant video to promote such a fantastic car, I drove my 84 Turbo to Paris in the Mid 90’s via Le-mans which was an epic trip. I bought this car with a new engine rebuild by Gem developments with brand new carbs. Only issue on the whole trip was the clutch would get really stiff when hot which I couldn’t solve even after fitting another new one, today with the net and forum it would have been diagnosed as the Red hydraulic line.

394C4F5D-9568-4EE9-B3DD-D32CCFC560E3.jpeg.c71175130fac267f815f6b153fa184e6.jpeg

Still had that issue not eluded me I’m pretty sure I would have kept it, Agree with Harry about the comfort as brilliant and the full glass roof is superb in the Esprit giving a super view of the world even if a little daunting next to large lorries!

I tried to hit 150 Mph on that trip but never quite got there before running out of space, with a modern Sat Nav I’m suspect it was closer to 140 though.

If only we had the in car video technology of today as it would be lovely to watch these trips 25 years later seeing the other now classic cars on the road. 

Anyone know where A491DGM is now? I suspect it got exported unfortunately, I did a deal on a 911SC with a dealer which was rubbish compared to my Esprit, you live and learn 🙄

Mind that dealer had a Countach 5000S for sale at £29995 back then so if time machines were invented........😂

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

No Barry this was pre digital cameras so just a scanned photo, I need to get the photo sets out the loft and find some in France as remember getting a nice night shot under the lights by the canal. I remember driving in Paris with that clutch was hell so used public transport mostly for the week or foot power. The Esprit is a far better open road car than round town traffic vehicle although back then it was my only form of transport being used for work daily.

I did lots of trips back then when young free and single using maps and before mobile phones, living next to the Ferry port is so nice albeit not cheap these days.

Still planning to do the Italian Job run in my mini this year which I will be filming with the Go-Pro. 🤞🏼

Have you done any Europe trips in 004 as know you do use the car lots?

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try!