free hit
counters
Quick question on Race mode - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

So I'm going to be taking my cup to the track this coming weekend. My previous Exige S didn't have race mode so never used it before. Can someone confirm I understood it correctly?

What I understood basically is that race mode still has traction control on (which i want) except the traction control is different from the default settings on touring and sport because in race mode it learns how much slip there is on the track and then calculates and sets the traction control based on track. With the cup I can then control the amount of slip I want. So for a track newbie race mode is a better option than sport if i set the wheel slip to 1? 

Did i understand it correctly?

IMG_2323.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I read that I’m just not sure I understood it correctly

Yes, use Race mode on track and start with slip position 1 until you get used to it.  I don't have the "slip" mode on my car but I would start at 1 and play with it during the day to see what you're happy with.

Race mode is a work of magic, you don't feel like it is doing much but it is there if you need help. 

• Like 1

The article seems to suggest that Race mode isn’t the best for a track novice because there will be an initial sharp oversteer, while the system is learning.

As a track novice myself, when I recently did a track day in my V6s I found sport mode was perfect. Allows just a bit of slip but not a dangerous amount, and you know when you are overdoing it....

Tour is still the best and safest mode for complete novices and or learning attack in tricky conditions.

Race mode still works without the oversteer moment but takes longer to learn grip levels. While it’s learning the intervention threshold is set high so you can still get caught out with a slide. Once it has learnt it’s a very smooth system, intervention is a lot more subtle than Sport mode which cuts the power dead and brings it back in with a sudden surge. Race will ease the throttle back smoothly like a skilled racing driver would.

• Like 1

My issue with tour mode is that it dampens the throttle response which isn’t conducive to heel toeing. So when I’m pushing it a bit on the roads, when ideally I’d like all the systems on, I’ll still have it in sport mode for the throttle response.

The same would apply for track work in the wet (which I’ve not experienced yet).

Yes extra rpm is useful too but not many complete novices will be using heel and toe so I still think Tour mode is a good place to start for anyone's first day on track.

Sport mode isn't terrible, it's similar to most other TC and stability systems out there. Race mode on the Exige is brilliant though and was the first TC system that the factory test drivers couldn't beat (with everything turned off) apparently. A lot of people trying Race for the first time tend to turn it straight back to Sport after the first 'moment', understandable perhaps if you don't know how it works. Trouble is, it was just getting started.

To use variable slip control you need to press and hold race mode to turn “off” traction control, then the variable slip mode controls the slip.  Be aware though that this turns off the stability control which will help keep you on the track (for example controlling the braking left to right when stopping hard, keeping you in a straight line) and is just a system which controls the amount of wheel spin and slip amount.  A very clever system and fun to experiment with, but probably better suited to people who are comfortable with traction control off anyway.

oh yeah you're right! completely forgot about that. don't know why i thought it was related to race mode.

That's right, no electronic safety net with the variable TC. It can only rein in throttle over exuberance. Car can still be unsettled by clumsy steering, lifting off or braking at the wrong place and wrong time.

There is one thing not clear to me from the article:

Does Race mode always require a sharp oversteer to learn? I mean, should I maybe provoke one when and where I feel more comfortable, rather than waiting that it happens?

So far I tested tour mode (first track day) and sport mode (all the others). I am very happy with that and feel safe.. now I would like to test race as well.

Edited by Cristiano

No, it doesn't, and don't 'provoke' because that will give a false input - build up gradually - and looking at how you tackled the green hell, you'll be fine, pick a forgiving circuit ie a corner with some run off, build up slowly - may take two doses of oppo to catch...but from an indemnity point of view - I didn't say any of that

On 13/06/2018 at 21:25, Cristiano said:

There is one thing not clear to me from the article:

Does Race mode always require a sharp oversteer to learn? I mean, should I maybe provoke one when and where I feel more comfortable, rather than waiting that it happens?

So far I tested tour mode (first track day) and sport mode (all the others). I am very happy with that and feel safe.. now I would like to test race as well.

you just drive normally and if there is any slip that occurs the system will learn, you don't force the slip.

• Like 1

I found it interesting to build up to race mode. Over the course of my first trackday (Donny) in the car I went through each of the settings. It was very interesting to see the differences in how the system interferes. 

Race mode is great though. Once you get there you realise what the fuss is about. It is nice though to switch off and agravate the care. These things have astonishing grip even without the TC. I wish there was just an off button. Getting to 'off' via race is a bit clunky. Not like the old cars with the selection knob 👍

This is how my front left inner brake pad looked like after 200 laps on track in race mode. The other seven pads had 4-6mm left.
From now on I'm turning race mode off.

36907551_10156551769764122_8496980354274426880_n.jpg.c0a8fb7527c10fe318da7314f906ea1d.jpg

12 hours ago, razad said:

This is how my front left inner brake pad looked like after 200 laps on track in race mode. The other seven pads had 4-6mm left.
From now on I'm turning race mode off.

36907551_10156551769764122_8496980354274426880_n.jpg.c0a8fb7527c10fe318da7314f906ea1d.jpg

is it possible geometry is out / damper issue? Seems quite an extreme imbalance? were the 200 laps on the same clockwise or anticlockwise circuit?

1 hour ago, PhilT said:

is it possible geometry is out / damper issue? Seems quite an extreme imbalance? were the 200 laps on the same clockwise or anticlockwise circuit?

Been driving on four different tracks, all clockwise. Did a geo setup before tracking and damper settings are untouched from factory.

If race mode was braking what is mainly the outside front wheel on clockwise circuits (and I don't see why it would) I would expect both pads on that disc to be worn, not just one - I can only imagine there is some other issue - but happy to be corrected on that if someone has more info. I am also running race mode on track and replaced my pads recently but they were all pretty evenly worn.

• Like 1

This weekend I finally tried race mode and... wow!

I first did a couple of sessions in sport mode, then started with race, very slow and build up. Here my impressions:

1) despite the guide says that race mode will let the car oversteer heavily to "learn" the grip, I never had such behavior. Maybe because I did the first 3-4 laps kind of slow, pushing on the exit of slow turn, and that was enough to learn. So now I am less scared of using it.

2) It really does a good job: you can practically go flat out after the Apex and the car just put down the right traction. Impressed!

3) somehow you have to drive differently and abuse of the throttle to make good use of it.

4) Pad wear was very OK. 

5) Lap time improved by 2 sec, but that might also be due to a bit more experience on that track.

Nice!

• Like 1