free hit
counters
'Witchcraft' suspension! - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi Guys,

I have read a lot of posts about the 'Witchcraft' suspension that the Evora is blessed with, on the OEM humble Bilstein suspension. I am in no hurry to consider changing this, but having come from a long 'history' of Elise/Exige, one of the best mod's to that chassis was fitting upgraded dampers, in my case Nitron's. 

I found that the often 'crashy' ride on the standard Elias Koni's was replaced by a supple and well controlled ride, but also much better performance on track days, especially reducing pitch and roll which made the car much more stable, predictable and enjoyable near the limit.

How many on here have gone for an 'upgrade' on the Evora? I note the 430 can be optioned with Ohlin ttx, which I gather retain the road comfort but achieve much better track performance. Ohlin's are way out of my price bracket, but I see that Nitron/Hoffmans do a 'one way' 46mm damper for the Evora, with seemingly good results.

I probably won't be tracking the Evora, but none-the-less am curious about maybe going non OEM... or is it even worth doing... 

All hypothetical right now as I still don't have my Evora... but not long now!

Cheers, Pete :>)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Bruss has got one of original sets of @Randy‘s Nitrons for the Evora. FWIW, I’m going to be getting a set later on this summer. 

As someone said to me, the Nitrons are 90% the performance of the Ohlins but for a fraction of the price. They are also a UK company, if that has any bearing on your decision. 

When I let a pal take the Evora for a drive he asked if the suspension was made from magic and even Clarkson was taken aback with the ride in his Top Gear review back in the day! The S1 really does have a way of giving you immense feedback without any discomfort or crashiness and the grip levels are much more than adequate for even the most spirited road driving. I've been on track in a few Evoras and they are a better car than I am a driver so personally I'm more than satisfied with the damping even for track use. 

Unless you're tracking the car I think you're better off saving your money but wait 'til you've spent some time in the car and then you'll see for yourself. 

• Like 1

Bibs advice is sound.  Get the car, drive it for a while and then decide if you want to change anything.

The road suspension is better than it deserves to be for such a sport based car. It's what a Lotus is all about, handling and suspension.  Can it be bettered, well yes everything is built down to a price. The Nitrons are an improvement over the Bilsteins and the Ohlins are an improvement again. It's just a matter of how much improvement you want and whether you want to pay for it. There's a law of diminishing returns 😃 If you take the car on track you will probably want to change the road suspension for something else. That's a good time to think about Nitrons vs Ohlins.

Best improvement you can make on a previously owned Evora is to get the geo checked out and reset alongside the ARB bushes and drop links.

You would have to ask yourself what do you want from the car that it doesn't already do. For road use I can see no point in going any 'harder' as the handling is great for our dodgy road surfaces and there is no real roll or float at normal speeds. Do you need to go any 'softer' as the ride is already very good ? So then it just comes down to ride 'control' via the dampers which again is probably a lot of money for not much gain.

All in all as a compromise the stock setup is incredible and moving away from it will compromise something else.

@pete757 you've not even got the car yet and your thinking about spending a couple of grand plus on the suspension?  Bonkers mate. Totally bonkers!

Get the car first and use it. Then, as you get to know it and start to explore the limits you can decide if you need more.

Follow the advice from @Bibs and @Bruss before you plan anything - both are talented drivers and both have had evoras that they have used on road and track.

• Like 1

More of interest really... I indeed intend to use the car first... of course!

Bonkers... not really if the step up from OEM to Nitron's offered a similarly positive road use and also track gain that I experienced on my modified Exige S1's and SC S2. The question was more if others had done this and what feedback they had! Especially as there are so many comments about how good the OEM set-up is.. you certainly don't read that about the OEM Elise! 

You also need to compare the price of aftermarket vs only £180 (+VAT) for a box-fresh set of OEM Bilsteins for each corner. Not the normal price of course.... Clik

1 hour ago, pete757 said:

Bonkers... not really if the step up from OEM to Nitron's offered a similarly positive road use and also track gain that I experienced on my modified Exige S1's and SC S2. The question was more if others had done this and what feedback they had! Especially as there are so many comments about how good the OEM set-up is.. you certainly don't read that about the OEM Elise! 

Bonkers was really referring to the fact that the car is renown for its suspension and you are asking about changing BEFORE you have even got it and driven it enough to know if it was good enough or know what it would benefit from.

We're all different of course.  I fancy a set of nitrons for my new Sport 410, but that will be at some time in the future (ohlin TTX if i win the lottery!)

8 hours ago, pete757 said:

But then again, many people with Elise’s spend money on suspension thinking it will make them into track demons when, if they spent half the cash on instruction, it would yield better results.

Just saying :driving:

• Like 2

I have to agree with Paul, I went to Hethel a few years back and about to retire, Alistair McQueen came in to give a short talk on his experiences working for Lotus over many, many years and developing an approach to driving in relation to vehicle dynamics. When he'd finished there were loads of questions about after market dampers, springs, you name it. He then revealed that at one point with the elise they had gathered together a number of modified examples and made a thorough back to back dynamic evaluation - he related that he was singularly unimpressed. Then the closing remark - strongly advising on the driver as the priority area for modification.! Here is where money should be spent and you'll see the lap times tumble.

Strange comment by Alastair...

In the context that Lotus fit, as OEM, both Nitron and Ohlin dampers to their cars! I am certain they would not do that if they were 'singularly unimpressed' with them!

As for driver training, been there done that. And yes I do agree it was an investment that was certainly well worth making.

Personally, I totally felt and appreciated the transformation in handling of my Elise/Exige during gradual mods to the suspension over time, with fitting Nitron's, different ARB's, rose jointed suspension and a full geo and corner weight. I could feel, enjoy and appreciated those dirrefences every day on the road as well as the track... but indeed not everyone would be able to discern a difference. Btw, I am not a track demon or God either!

Anyway! I am looking forward immensely to driving my NA Evora as it is. If I end up getting some suspension mods sorted, I will certainly pass on my impressions. :>)

Hi Pete

don't get me wrong, Alistair didn't say Nitron, Ohlin etc don't make excellent products - it was as 'complete packaged' offerings that he felt the various 'after market tuned' elises fell short of what he considered a good set up should be...on the other hand, some might say he would say that!

But yes, really interested to hear what you think of the Evora.

I am very interested in this actually... and am looking forward to finally getting to drive my 'S1'!

Will certainly report back! :>) 

Some perceive uprated suspension means a stiffer ride, which can then lead to the perception it will be uncomfortable.

Putting aside the adjustability feature of Nitrons and Ohlins for the moment, I have always found these upgrades to provide a huge difference for the road,  The roads around Silverstone have been a great testing ground for suspension, due to the bumpy and camber changing nature of the roads.

If I start back when I went to get my first V6S I test drove 3 cars back to back.  2 had standard suspension, the 3rd had the optional “sports” suspension (think I have that right from memory).  The latter was definitely stiffer suspension, but also had much improved damping.  Upshot was I could feel more through the steering and feel of the car, but imho the ride was even more compliant .

I have the same now with the Nitrons on my 380.  Vs my 350 I can carry more speed across the bumpies as the suspension does its job of keeping the wheels in contact with the road, whilst keeping the car under control.  I also find it as, if not more comfortable than the 350 standard setup. 

Had the same experience from driving the Evora 400, 410 and 430.  Each iteration allowed me to carry more speed, with more control .  The Ohlins are on another level in my opinion and worth the extra over Nitrons .  Amazing ride,

Just my 2p worth 

All this aside, the standard suspension on the Evora is epic :)

• Like 1

Suspension would be the last thing on an Evora I would change, especially an S1 NA - they really are magic!

The only place I think you would really benefit from a firmer setup is the track, in which case you've taken the wrong car - it'll do it but that's not what the Evora is about (certainly not the first one)

That was your number 3,333 post James!

I feel honoured! 😁

Took delivery the other day! Thrilled! Top's in every way and, IMHO, not too lacking against the Evora 400, aside perhaps from the exhaust 'soundtrack'! For which the 400 is EPIC!

Suspension feels great. But not as epic as the words would have suggested. Having fitted Nitron's to my Exiges, I am certain they will offer a similar step up on road... as well as track, from the OEM. 

Watch this space.... maybe!

9 hours ago, pete757 said:

That was your number 3,333 post James!

3,000 of them were deciding if he was going to buy an Evora :lol:

• Haha 2

Not 3.332?? 😄