free hit
counters
Steering responsiveness - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I know this is highly subjective, but how responsive should the steering be on an Eclat? There's not freeplay in the steering wheel, but when I throw the car into a corner it always feels like there's a tiny pause while weight shifts over an it digs in. Once it's turning, the cars sticks to the road and I've no problems at all. Looked at/changed the following:

• UJs - Looked at the lower one at least and zero movement there. I was a little blind but from what I could feel nothing on the upper one either.
  • ARB bush: bar to chassis - replaced to poly
  • ARB bush: bar to lower link- replaced to poly
  • Lower trunnion bushes - replaced

My thoughts are therefore the following:

• Front shocks & springs
  • Track rod ends
  • Rack mountings

Do any of those sound like plausible reasons, and if so where I should start? Nothing bad with the handling; I just feel it could be a little crisper on those sharper corners.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you considered camber angle, wheel alignment etc etc? Not sure if these would cause the symptoms you describe?

It's probably quite in need of an alignment to be honest. What alignment aspects can be adjusted on an Eclat, front and rear?

Rear is limited - packing washers on the radius arm mount to give toe in or out. I believe spacers can be added on the hub carrier/shock absorber bolt - I assume to adjust vertical alignment - not sure?

I haven't got to the front of mine yet but there must be some adjustment using track rod ends? The Front suspension section of the manual (Page 4 C2) states:

"Under normal service conditions, the only item requiring attention is to check the front wheel alignment...................The only angles which are adjustable are for wheel alignment; the castor, camber and steering exis (KPI), being set in production and are non-adjustable."

Otherwise, tyre pressures? same tyres on both sides?

I found in my S1 Elite, having the rear toe-in adjusted properly made a huge difference.

Sounds like toe front and rear would be a good place to start. Will take a lookwith tape measures until I can find a decent place to do a toe alignment check.

I was able to take my car to a local garage that had a newly setup Hunter tracking system.

They only charged £15 to check the geometry front and back and you get a print out to tell you how the car sits exactly.

For me the fronts were 100% but the backs needed adjustment, but as mentioned above it was clear how to adjust the camber without risk and effort.

Having replaced a rear trailing arm without getting things re-aligned properly, I can confirm that set up makes a HUGE difference to how an eclat/elite handles.

I also didn't like the "feel" of the PAS car I drove. The manual rack is heavy to park, but a nicer drive.

Hmmm... Looks like an alignment check and then maybe some toe adjustment might be on the cards.

Have continued the discussion about this here: