free hit
counters
380 sport noise test - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Has anyone had issues with the standard exhaust on the exige 380 sport failing noise tests at either brands or silverstone?
ive had problems in the past with the 101 at brands but that was on two wheels.
thanks in advance
Richard
( I posted this same question last night in the exige /Elise section , plenty of views but no reply’s so perhaps I put the question in the wrong  section)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You may be okay at Silverstone.

I was blackflagged at Silverstone. Over 106db drive by. Waiting for a fix before trying again. 

• Like 1

Oh shit!!! WoW

Just now, BJM said:

I was blackflagged at Silverstone. Over 106db drive by. Waiting for a fix before trying again. 

I heard a 380 the other day and absolutely loved the noise but can easily see how Lotus have fucked up building a track car folks can’t use on any other track than Hethel.

• Like 1

Hmm afraid not , I’ve posted a few items recently but:

I did track day at Silverstone a couple of weeks ago. I hit 106.8db down old pit straight and wasn’t much over 5,500 revs. I was black flagged and had to short shift in the morning 

What was interesting is the fact i kept the exhaust closed as kept below 5,000 revs but in afternoon left exhaust fully open and it didn’t  seem to be such a problem 

I think the boom you get when exhaust opens at around 5,000 revs could be the issue 

The problem is 38O’s will exceed 105 when pushing on

Colin

• Like 1

Brands will fail you all day, every day. When I was there last year, the tester told me that he doesn’t really bother with 400s anymore. They fail every time. 

The 380 has the same exhaust. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply’s fellas , I absolutely love the sound of my 380 when pushing on .

im glad I asked first before booking a gp circuit  and  failing noise test and loosing my dollar.  I’d love to get the 380 round brands gp though.

im going to book on a Hethel day or two for now , but I have a good excuse to cross the channel and do some France or Spain days. 

Try Hethel once before you book another, all the people I went with on a Lot day, thought it was a truly average track and with plenty of designed in crash points (wall on the edge of the 180 turn) wall at the end of a straight, water filled bollards added in to slow cars down but with a very tight gap to go through.

Its frustrating having cars that fail so many noise tests (even my Exige S fails most drive bys), shame that Lotus have decided to make their 'track orientated' cars noisier just as the track noise limits are getting more stringent.

Martin S

I have a Cup 430 and am worried about the same thing, however I do love the sound of the stock exhaust!

What would be ideal is some sort of bolt on/slip on extra silencing for track days like this GT4 that can be easily removed the rest of the time. 

I don't know if anyone has come across one made for Lotus'?

A9EB53CC-ADFD-4476-A6E2-97326F68A64D.jpeg

@alexthewheelman it has been discussed many times. A DB killer is usually designed for a fairly straight pipe and the Lotus one just isn't.

Says volumes (pun intended) about Lotus' current management that each car they produce claims to be ever faster on tracks they won't be allowed to drive on.

For about two years people have been trying to find solutions, like yourself I love the roar but would like to be able to take my car on track.

The only solution I know of which lets you have your cake and eat it too is the one developed by @Bibs and Alunox - sounds great and works for the whole RPM range either open or closed with no loss of power. Not cheap, but no-one's come up with anything better yet.

@Hangar 111 will offer a quiet track legal exhaust, as will others, but they are quiet ONLY.

There is also the 2bular solution which I'm interested in comparing to the stock system after I've picked my 400 up on Friday!! It isn't switchable though...

No. He offers a switchable solution but the implication is it may not be good enough to pass track noise limits. It's also still controlled by the ECU so opens up at high RPM like the stock system.

You're wrong on this. 2bular offer a track exhaust which doesn't use a valve.

@GFWilliams I was replying to @Gashead1105 who mentioned 2Bular's track system, which is as you correctly say non switchable. Their switchable one is not advised for track use. Hence the confusion. 

You what? As I said, the track system on the 400 I'm getting is not switchable. You are right that I didn't mention the valved system but all the OP needs to do is look on 2bular website and he'll see that the valved system is not trackable. 

I'm interested in how the track system compares to OE. I'm told it's 104db, not exactly quiet!

• Like 1

No, that's a fair volume as track systems go. I believe the H111 system is super quiet.

There is very little room to work in the back of a Lotus, I expect designing an exhaust for them is very tricky

It took almost 3 months for Alunox, there's a lot of pipework involved to get the volume down but retain power.

I must say having heard Bibs' system in person, the "loud" mode sounded much more satisfying than I thought it would.

FWIW, that’s my Cayman GT4, the silencers were made for me by Mike Edwards Motorsport, they slip on in about five minutes, two supporting nuts and bolts and two circular clips around the exhaust stubs. The system gets me into everywhere except Goodwood, where induction noise scuppers me . Was at Brand hatch GP today completing the GT4’s sixtieth track day in just over two and a half years, the silencer system has been faultless through that, but does cost about 15 bhp .

The important bit, the system from memory cost four hundred and fifty Pounds as a one-off.

• Thanks 1

As things stand at the moment with 380’s and as many already know they are pretty much unusable on any UK track unless you keep below 5,000revs. There are a few noisy days which allow over 110db but not many. Airfield sites are available for straight line drags and 1/4 mile timing but are not tracks 

So As this is defeating the whole experience you have to look at an aftermarket exhaust. So either Alunox at over £4,000 or 2bular and Hangar 111 at less than half the price but are not such complete systems 

I’m not sure whether  any of these systems are a particularly good solution as most 380 owners want to keep some of the noise for  road use but want it a bit quieter for motorway jaunts and so need a switchable system. You don’t really want to be forking out £2,000 and still get black flagged though !!

What would be a better solution is if the exhaust valve on the standard exhaust stayed closed until around 6,000 revs. Not practical I know !!!!

37 minutes ago, Tex said:

So As this is defeating the whole experience you have to look at an aftermarket exhaust. So either Alunox at over £4,000 or 2bular and Hangar 111 at less than half the price but are not such complete systems 

I’m not sure whether  any of these systems are a particularly good solution as most 380 owners want to keep some of the noise for  road use but want it a bit quieter for motorway jaunts and so need a switchable system. You don’t really want to be forking out £2,000 and still get black flagged though !!

I'd be interested in some real world drive-by data from some UK tracks on the Alunox...

So you want, quiet when you want quiet, loud when you fancy loud, no impact on power, cheap, durable, lightweight, and all this in the space the size of a small suitcase?

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111

Haha good luck with the 2bular solution! The ‘track’ exhaust isn’t track friendly, the add on boxes still don’t guarantee the 2bular. I have two friends promised it would be track friendly only to find it still isn’t in real world.

The Hangar111 system is the ONLY system which has been tested at nearly all UK tracks in real world settings. That said as Dave says... you just can’t have it all ways... 

Indeed but I imagine a lot of Lotus customers who fork  out over £70,000 for a 380 and of course an Evora 410 can feel slightly disgruntled with the fact they are basically unusable on track as standard and when there is no aftermarket solution either.

I am not surprised that Lotus have not responded to this issue but the Lotus dealers need to be more open when people are purchasing 380’s , 410’’ s and I imagine 430’s

11 hours ago, Tim Raven said:

FWIW, that’s my Cayman GT4, the silencers were made for me by Mike Edwards Motorsport, they slip on in about five minutes, two supporting nuts and bolts and two circular clips around the exhaust stubs. The system gets me into everywhere except Goodwood, where induction noise scuppers me . Was at Brand hatch GP today completing the GT4’s sixtieth track day in just over two and a half years, the silencer system has been faultless through that, but does cost about 15 bhp .

The important bit, the system from memory cost four hundred and fifty Pounds as a one-off.

Hi Tim, thanks for the info and lovely car!