free hit
counters
380 sport noise test - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A friend is getting the Hangar 111 quiet exhaust system fitted soon. If that hadn't existed he said he wouldn't have bought the 400 as he wants to track it occasionally. He is however going strai

I was blackflagged at Silverstone. Over 106db drive by. Waiting for a fix before trying again. 

Oh shit!!! WoW I heard a 380 the other day and absolutely loved the noise but can easily see how Lotus have fucked up building a track car folks can’t use on any other track than Hethel.

Posted Images

None I have seen states clearly the noise level (ranges) at 4,500rpm, 5,250rpm and driveby at full throttle close to the redline. All prefer to rely on the real estate agents language of "magnificent roar" and "enabling you to participate in virtually any trackday in the UK". The closest one where something close to a "scientific" characteristic is stated is @Hangar 111 solution.

It would be fantastic to see the actual numbers - also should not be that difficult at all. 🙄

12 minutes ago, vd9 said:

It would be fantastic to see the actual numbers - also should not be that difficult at all. 🙄

Like this from a year ago?  http://www.hangar111.com/lotus/signature-qt-v6-exhaust/

Since then there are alot more out there in the wild, as well as our own reference data from other tracks, which have all borne very similar results within reasonable tolerance of different noise meters in different locations at different tracks.

Dave

No problem.

Static testing on the 400 type exhaust shows around 10dB reduction.  We've not been at track with one to get drive-by from the organisers, but customers are anecdotally getting good results... for example:

Dave

4 hours ago, vd9 said:

None I have seen states clearly the noise level (ranges) at 4,500rpm, 5,250rpm and driveby at full throttle close to the redline. 

It was would also be very, very hard to do. 

There are so many variations of the V6 configuration (both unmodified and modified) that it would be very tricky for a particular manufacturer to state that their exhaust is going to produce Xdb at Xrpm. If you then factor in different sound levels due to differing atmospheric conditions or equipment calibration errors, then you really are asking for next-to-the impossible. 

• 1 month later...

Having been black-flagged back in April survived a second track day at Silverstone with a 2blr Quiet Performance exhaust. Relief that there is a solution. Didn't need the add ons. 

19 hours ago, BJM said:

Having been black-flagged back in April survived a second track day at Silverstone with a 2blr Quiet Performance exhaust. Relief that there is a solution. Didn't need the add ons. 

Similar issue as I had in March at Silverstone but just finished track day there today with no problem 

Kept short shifting on paddock straights but opened it up everywhere else until lunch and then just gunned it all round when track dried out

I must say there was quite a lot of noisy stuff  there today and the organiser was SCL , the circuit themselves. They may just be a little more lenient than the third party trackday organisers.

Despite the early rain it was a great track day

• Like 1

Yes thought it best to attempt to keep the noise down by the Pits where the microphones are . 

I must say there were some Porsche’s and Nissan Gtrs which couldn’t have got under 102db with the exception of the Dutch guy in the Red Porsche who got flagged, everyone else seemed ok 

Well Done SCL

A friend is getting the Hangar 111 quiet exhaust system fitted soon. If that hadn't existed he said he wouldn't have bought the 400 as he wants to track it occasionally.

He is however going straight after fitting to Bedford for a track day to test it, possibly one of the worst tracks in the country for noise limits, so it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Martin S

ps Got sent a good picture of your car yesterday Tex, as a friend was on track at Silverstone with you in his green 911 GT3RS.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes I saw it going round, looked like a very nice car. Should have got a picture side by side. I sold that 380 2 weeks ago!!

The day other than the weather was spot on and SCL do appear to control the idiots who want to overtake in bends better than the private track day companies. I will certainly do another day with them particularly as they seem a little bit more lenient with the decibels.

How did your friend get on at Bedford ?👍🏽

Seems he had a great day and had no noise problems at Bedford so it really does work. His static test showed 88db at4500 revs!! Down from 106.

He was very impressed with Hangar 111, just a shame there so far from us down on the South Coast.

Martin S

4 hours ago, MARTIN_S said:

Seems he had a great day and had no noise problems at Bedford so it really does work. His static test showed 88db at4500 revs!! Down from 106.

He was very impressed with Hangar 111, just a shame there so far from us down on the South Coast.

Martin S

Martin, as you know we're a matter of 15minutes from eachother. It is a bit of a trek but for me it's peace of mind my car is in capable and knowledgeable hands. For various reasons my car is making me somewhat of a regular to the area so I've started ticking off various cultural attractions recently. Sutton Hoo was a pretty strong opener. Maybe this could be a new blog of mine. But anyway, for a one-off visit like an exhaust it's a no brainer as you can make a day of it.

Dave, that endoresement must be worth a quid off the next invoice. Actually, have you thought about a loyalty card?

7 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

Dave, that endoresement must be worth a quid off the next invoice. Actually, have you thought about a loyalty card?

Ha... I'll ask the boss!  It's at least worth cuppa  :)

Dave

• Like 1

To get another quid off, have to say we met up last night and though its obviously a lot quieter the exhaust on the Evora still had a nice deep tone to it and looks decent.

Martin S

2 hours ago, MARTIN_S said:

To get another quid off, have to say we met up last night and though its obviously a lot quieter the exhaust on the Evora still had a nice deep tone to it and looks decent.

Martin S

Thanks.  It still has a 'sporty note', but does the 'jet fighter effect' when the gas flow gets higher.  There are CNC machined inserts in the exhaust tips too that look lovely.

exige-evora-s-v6-signature-qt-sports-exh

Your friend is a super nice chap too :)

Dave

• Like 1