free hit
counters
Elise annoying metallic vibration - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Composite guru

Elise annoying metallic vibration

Hi,

I have a 220 Cup and have noticed it has developed a metallic buzz when hot. This happens more so when I have been sitting in traffic for a few mins so I'm sure its heatshield related.

Its just been serviced at Allon White yesterday and they checked all the heatshields and said one did have a loose bolt and retightened it. To no avail its still there.

One other thing is it seems to do it more when turning left and between 2500 & 3500 rpm. It defo seems resonance related.

Anyone here ever had a similar issue and found out what it could be?

I do have a 2ubular backbox but the noise seems to come from the drivers side behind the seat. Not trim related though.

Cheers

Matt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think it will still be the heat shields somewhere, probably low down in the engine bay against the cabin bulkhead. I had the same thing in my V6 - Hangar 111 sorted it out in the end. 

Yes I'm pretty sure its something in that area. Its just hard replicating it whilst not driving.

The way it was diagnosed on mine, I got the car hot, drove it to Hangar 111 and took Greg straight out so it made the noise. He knew what it was immediately. It wasn't bolt related, the position of the offending heat shield needed adjusting as it was expanding and rubbing on something when hot.

@Hangar 111

• Like 1