free hit
counters
Polycarbonate roof panel - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Polycarbonate roof panel

• Gold FFM

Anyone considered getting one made to replace the glass panel ?

are they available anywhere

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH the one thing I have never liked about my G car is the Glass roof - Would much prefer a solid panel. You lose that cocooned effect IMO............................ I know from the Harry Metcal

No. Why would you want to do that? Ian will argue that there is an aircon switch... EDIT On second thoughts, perhaps as Farmyard Exotics you could do it with an off cut of marine plywood and

Alan  i have just found a programme on channel 5 catch up, called “flipping bangers” it is definately part of the Farmyard Exotics group of companies  First car they done? A spitfire  D

No. Why would you want to do that? Ian will argue that there is an aircon switch...

EDIT

On second thoughts, perhaps as Farmyard Exotics you could do it with an off cut of marine plywood and some roofing felt?

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

Alan 

i have just found a programme on channel 5 catch up, called “flipping bangers” it is definately part of the Farmyard Exotics group of companies 

First car they done? A spitfire 

Dan 

• Haha 1

Didn't Lotus use a poly roof for a while on Stevens cars?  ISTR that those would warp and look 'funny' after a while.

Oh Yeah: " a Saratoga Plexiglas top, was only available for a short time around 1990-91"

I think these had different attaching bracketry as well.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

A polycarbonate roof instead of the glass panel would add lightness. But it would have to be tinted to the same extend, to avoid making the interior even more of a pressure cooker when parked in the sun.

I've considered replacing the glass panel on the rear hatch of my SE with polycarbonate to reduce weight. Hard to find someone who can do a custom shape, especially at an acceptable price.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

TBH the one thing I have never liked about my G car is the Glass roof - Would much prefer a solid panel. You lose that cocooned effect IMO............................

I know from the Harry Metcalfe Vid that he loved the roof but I think I'm right in saying it was standard across all the later G cars (don't think I've seen a post '86 car without it).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

No I haven’t I promise - just fancied the option of a yellow roof

I've got a GRP roof, perfect condition, painted body colour, and the only time it's been out of it's bag in nearly 4 years was to be re-trimmed. I much prefer the glass one, it's not as claustrophobic.

Margate Exotics.

49 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Can you lend it to Barry, Ian? He could vinyl wrap it in yellow. In return you could ask for Farmyard Exotics rapid gearbox removal and replacement services in return...

He should vinyl wrap the glass roof in yellow.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I've got a GRP roof, perfect condition, painted body colour, and the only time it's been out of it's bag in nearly 4 years was to be re-trimmed. I much prefer the glass one, it's not as claustrophobic.

You would be better selling it to someone to paint yellow then 👍

Only here once