Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GT430 Nürburgring VR Video - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

GT430 Nürburgring VR Video

LF1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice. Very brave taking a GT430 on the 'ring. Mucho respect.  Not least due to the sheer amount of w'nkers you get there in BMW diesel estates or VW Sharan's trying to emulate Lewis Hamilton but looking more like Max Verchrasheshappenalot as they take themselves and others out.

Great vid.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

cracking video.. love the spin round bit..

c8rkh   "Max Verchrasheshappenalot"  😂🤣

Nice video!

So your impression was the GT430 will be able to go sub-8? 

I‘ve been there last weekend Saturday and Sunday (not taken the car on TF days on the track...I‘m not brave enough) and its always an experience. The weather was amazing, nearly too hot (we had 29*C !) 

It‘s only 1,5hrs from where I live so always a nice weekend trip.

• Like 1

If Exige Cup 380 can go 7.48 (SportAuto) then I would expect the GT430 to beat that. More power for the long straights. Ohlins dampers for the bumps, more stability from the aero. Damping seemed to be an issue for the Cup 380 in the video plus gearing and rpm limit. GT430’s slightly higher rpm and extra torque will help here too.

I would hope sub 7.40 is possible. Hopefully Sport Auto will do it one day.

I had some passenger laps in the GT430 at the ring, what an impressive car! Loads of grip and beautiful supple compliant ride. Also couldn’t stay with @Trevsked at all at Spa in my exige v6 cup.

• Like 1

I’d agree with @The Pits that I’d be very surprised if the GT430 couldn’t get close to a 7:30 time BTG. Considering when we did that video neither of us had done a dozen laps there and we were close to the 8 minute mark in the Caterham with 135hp and bog all top end.

The cornering ability of the Evora was something else, it was the only car I saw all day that was still in your rear view mirrors after a few corners. Probably the perfect package for the Ring. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Did look fantastically composed in Tom's video. Must be a peachy spec for the Nordschleife but I hear it went rather well at Spa too....

I'm not buying the popular line here that all you need is a 400 on Ohlins. Lotus put a lot of work into the GT430 despite what the cynics would like to claim. As with the GTE before it, the level of development that such low volume models receive is remarkable. But that's what you get when you have your own on-site test track. Development is fast, intensive and inexpensive. Most car makers have to phone MIRA every time they want to try out a new damper setting.

Good to see the GT430 can negotiate the Karussel without making contact with that carbon front splitter.

• Like 2

Yep I was worried about that but more worried someon would take a pic of me going round the outside chicken strip 🙂

Spot on regarding development Jonny, takes a hell of a lot more than bolting on a set of better shocks. I’ll resist bringing up the Cup 2 debate 🙂

Trevor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

I would not knock the balls of someone that tried the the "chicken strip" flat out... I did it in that video for a laugh as I wanted to see if I could get round it as fast as you on the Karussel. It was slippery, it almost ended in tears :)

Yes looked a bit lively! What a great opportunity to drive the Nordschleife with so little traffic, dry too. Completely convinced me that paying for an organised track day there is definitely worth it. Shame there aren't more dates available.

I've only ever done tourist days so never done the main straight. Love the way you can just keep lapping as long as there's fuel in the tank.

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, The Pits said:

I'm not buying the popular line here that all you need is a 400 on Ohlins. Lotus put a lot of work into the GT430 despite what the cynics would like to claim.

As a professional cynic and 410 ignorant, I will say that the 400 and 430 are very different cars.

I'd love more seat time in a 430 (wouldn't we all) - but I think that if you're a 99% road user (like me) then the 400 w/standard dampers is excellent. Seats make a huge difference to the feel of a car, and for me personally this is the biggest area of "improvement" in the 410 (although I have my own issues with those seats, but that's well known).

The amount of aero a GT430 produces simply can't be ignored on track, especially ones with fast corners like Spa and the Ring. In those situations especially, and on smoother roads, those Ohlins items are quite amazing and of course being able to adjust to taste is very handy too. 

The fact that, in theory, a GT430 would cost no more to run than my 400 is a big plus too. Many modern supercars now have some scary running costs, especially if you want to track them. I'm glad Lotus have resisted the lure/expense of things like carbon brakes, especially as the ones they currently use evidently work so well.

I'd be very interested if any of the 430 owners got their car weighed to see what the actual weight is, for a real comparison vs the 400. The 430's weight saving program seems a real step on from the 410.

Despite all this though, I was most impressed at how refined and livable the GT430 was, even driving on atrocious roads. For the lucky members on here who can afford to buy one and do the odd European track day with it, there are few cars I can think better equipped for the job.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Some of the answer is simply in the numbers:

400     => 1395Kgs / 286bhp per ton /  0-60 in 4.1 sec / 32 kgs downforce

GT430 =>  1258Kgs / 342bhp per ton / 0-60 in 3.6 sec / 250 kgs downforce

No doubt in my mind the GT430 is the "better" sports car (or at least the fastest) but the value play based on price is the 400 (which is probably why Lotus doesn't push it that hard...).

You cant modify a 400 to get to a 430 weight and my family definitely prefers the 400 for full family transportation so they have clear space between them (I was not that convinced about the 410).

I suspect that a 430 with full seats, a/c, stereo etc is a bit nearer the 400 weight wise. However, yes on track the 430 will win hands down. For every day with the odd track day the 400 is the better value. Horses for courses.

Gav

Hold on, whats going on here?  Sounds like you guys did a proper track day in real cars but the video is clearly artificial.

Did you run your car while logging loads of data and then use some software to merge the data and video together so it represents what you did on the track?!

• Confused 1

oh dear sorry, I've been an idiot!   Ignore me ... 

Watched it on my phone with low res settings and just assumed it was all computer graphics as the textures of the trees and sky were smooth and not lifelike.

Just watched it again on a normal computer and clearly its a real video shot in 360 with the graphics overlaid.

Yea, it's a massive video, it's basically 2 x 4K to get the full 360 resolution. YouTube will optimise it based on your download speed. Then you have the option to up the resolution to 4k 360 - which takes a mass of data. The video was done with a Garmin VIRB 360 which although it has the ability to do lap timing it is not fast enough. We were also running a VBox HD2 which gave really accurate times along with optimum lap time based on "purple" sectors throughout the day. 

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, PAR said:

400     => 1395Kgs / 286bhp per ton /  0-60 in 4.1 sec / 32 kgs downforce

GT430 =>  1258Kgs / 342bhp per ton / 0-60 in 3.6 sec / 250 kgs downforce

That's the "dry" weight for the GT430. One of the sneakier things Lotus have done of late is start quoting dry weights to make the numbers appear more significant than they are.

What's most annoying is their definition of dry is quite different to the one the Italians and others use. Dry traditionally means completely without fluids, Lotus are just taking 40kg away for a tank of fuel.

As with all manufacturers the numbers quoted won't match real world results, depending on a variety of factors including spec.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Cool stuff guys 😊

No doubt the 430 can run sub 8 there. Having a pretty empty NS is always a blast. Tourist fahren are just good to get a taste of it, but so frustrating sometimes or full of dumb people thinking they drive for their life 🙄

Just sayin: sport auto measured the weight of the tested 400 at 1445 kg (fuel tank filled up max), their evora s tested were 1429 and 1432 kg, spec on the 400 was "full" sub woofer etc. and the 400 achieved 7.59 at the nürburgring, power measured at 417 PS

• Thanks 1