free hit
counters
Lotus Elise Cup Trackday / fast road chassis upgrades - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Five50

Lotus Elise Cup Trackday / fast road chassis upgrades

Have an Elise 220 Cup on Standard Bilsteins and 175 front tyres (factory AD07s).

It’s a decent factory compromise but a bit rolly on a trackday compared to other more focused stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations for tyre / suspension upgrades?

Tyres - not sure if to go up to Elise 250 cup / s2 Exige sizes (195 front / 225 rear) or 260 Cup (205 / 235) and then something like a ZZS or R888r or Yoko equivalent.

Want to drive to track days without swapping wheels so need something that isn’t totally lethal in the wet. Not sure if the bigger tyre sizes make the steering really heavy for parking and if in return you really notice the extra grip.

Suspension - some guys I know have gone Nitron 46 one way (there seems to be reducing availability of these so wonder if they’ve stopped making them?). Other options include Nitron 40s or Ohlins as per Lotus Cup spec.

Again - looking for something that is good for track days but that doesn’t make the car too useless on the road (I need to be able to get out without being completely stranded speed bumps etc though I appreciate that the level of compromise will move). Have read that Nitrons need regular rebuilds but not sure how fair that is.

Any thoughts much appreciated!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I can't really help on the suspension front, but Nitron have an excellent reputation. All adjustable dampers seem to require maintenance/rebuilds, they're not a fit and forget option.

My 250 Cup runs Yoko AO48's which are perfectly okay on the road as long as you are sensible in the wet. I've been using mine a lot in the last few weeks to get the running in miles done and the weather has been mostly wet! It's standing water they won't like at all, so you just have to take care. Steering weight is perfectly manageable at parking speeds, fairly heavy but not a problem. Sticky tyres will certainly result in quicker laps (you will notice the extra grip), but many will argue that doesn't necessarily equal more fun.

I swapped my A048's for Avon ZZS as I didn't want to mess about having 2 sets of wheels. They are still a semi-slick tyre but so much better in the wet than A048's including standing water.

No complaint on track back in march in cool wet, damp and dry conditions, Ultimate test will be a fully dry track day on a warm/hot day, Hopefully will be able to confirm after the LOT day at Blyton next weekend.

I did a lot of track days with two different Elise T25s (2008 model). One with the factory Bilsteins, the other with 1-way nitron. So, both on Lotus Sport wheels, A048s 195F/225R. Both cars were good for me. On track with the Nitron, yes if needed, you can firm everything up - For the drive home in the wet or dry you can adjust to full soft. The main thing is that your going to have to drop the tyre pressures as they get warmer - mid 20s psi? For me, balancing the F:R pressure was the way to get a neutral balance - but that could be (lack of!) driving style / knowledge. You can run a 12v compressor to put the pressures back to drive home.

20 minutes ago, Kosmo said:

I swapped my A048's for Avon ZZS as I didn't want to mess about having 2 sets of wheels. They are still a semi-slick tyre but so much better in the wet than A048's including standing water.

No complaint on track back in march in cool wet, damp and dry conditions, Ultimate test will be a fully dry track day on a warm/hot day, Hopefully will be able to confirm after the LOT day at Blyton next weekend.

As Kosmo says, the Avons also have a very good reputation and Avon will have a recommended 'hot' pressure.

Avon recommend 30psi hot for both ZZR and ZZS tyres, I've run both tyres at this pressure and they seem to perform well for my track driving needs.

I am Dutch so I carry a bicycle pump to track days. The tiny front tyres don't take long to pump up (10 pushes). The rears need a bit more exercise, but it is still faster than a 12V compressor. I understand that it looks weird.

3 hours ago, Ariaan said:

I am Dutch so I carry a bicycle pump to track days. The tiny front tyres don't take long to pump up (10 pushes). The rears need a bit more exercise, but it is still faster than a 12V compressor. I understand that it looks weird.

I use he floor type bicycle pump, I also find then quicker to use 👍

You mean a "track pump" like this?

SKS Rennkompressor Track / Floor Pump (Eva Head)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Like it! will you guys be bringing your cycle pumps to Blyton for trials? - then I can leave my compressor at home🙂

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Yes that's it.
people look at me when I use it. 
(I try to compensate with race shoes).

But it works. 

8 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Yes, that's the type..... Works a treat

• Like 1

Look forward to meeting you next week at Blyton @Kosmo.

I'll be in Anglesey in June for the VX national if it is not too far away for you maybe we will see you there too.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

7 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Look forward to meeting you next week at Blyton @Kosmo.

I'll be in Anglesey in June for the VX national if it is not too far away for you maybe we will see you there too.

Same here mate, I'll definitely come and say hello.

Not aware of the VX national, any more info ?

It’s a Lotus On Track event, reserve list now active:

http://www.lotus-on-track.com/forums/showevent.php?eid=1136

June 16th at Anglesey 

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I missed the boat on the LOT Anglesey day, Looking at the attendees its going to be a busy day !