free hit
counters
Paint finish and Gtechniq - Detailing - Sponsored by ValetPro - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Simon Bateman

Paint finish and Gtechniq

I picked up my new Evora 400 just after the Beast of East had departed the UK and at the time declined the Suparguard paint treatment on offer from Stratton Motors. Partly due to the fact that I'd literally only ever read average or negative comments on detailing forums about this product, but also because I didn't really have the funds at the time to add another £500.00 to the cost of the car itself. 

Unfortunately when I got the car home, it became apparent that there were (what people now refer to) as paint defects on the vehicle.  The paint itself looked fine, but in a few areas the lacquer was milky and not bought to a full shine.  I buffed up one area myself by hand with some mild polish but then found others, some like thumb prints on the surface and others covering two or three inches.

I could and should probably have just taken the car back to Stratton, but being over 100 miles away and after speaking to a trusted local detailer decided to go down the Gtechniq route, which would involve a light stage 1 polish anyway.

The detailer spent around six hours polishing the car and removed around 5 of these 'defects'.  He found buffer trails around the first area that I initially found and his view was that this was probably flagged up at the inspection stage at the factory, but still wasn't finished properly.

He then applied Crystal Serum light on the bodywork and C5 on the wheels.  I didn't go for the EXO treatment on top of the serum but instead purchased the C2 detailing spray that is effectively a top up for the Crystal Serum and he recommended that I use this every second or third wash.  That product on it's own is stated as working for 8 months after application and sort of has a semi-curing process itself and only has a shelf life of 12 months once opened. 

The serum was left to cure for a minimum of 12 hours before I applied the C2 spray or exposed the car to moisture.

Overall the finish is excellent.  It has a five year guarantee and should also help resist paint swirls amongst other things.  

My detailer was keen to point out that you still need a car washing plan that works in conjunction with the finish involving most of the usual precautions that we should all probably take if we want to keep our cars looking as good as possible.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yup, I had Gtechniq on my 400 and after 2yrs it comes up really well.

will be interesting to see how @Gashead1105 finds cleaning it.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

@CocoPops it needs it already. Anything special I have to do to keep any warranty (is there still one?!) intact, or can I just wash (autoglym), rinse and polish? 

Already purchased an extra bucket for the two bucket method, plus a grit guard!!

My detailers advice for the black roof was to pat it dry and not actually run the drying cloth over it.

I think we all have a level of care that we are prepared to go to and there after you do the best you can.

I was a bit disappointed with the paint issues in the first place, but apparently my detailer spent a couple of days recently rectifying paint defects on a brand new BMW M4, so it's not just Lotus.

I'm getting a leaf blower so I can blow dry my car!

😂🤣😂

Stop it! I'm not joking now...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

And me🤫.....I’ve not bought yet though......any recommendations?

Sovereign. £25 in Homebase. Will do the job does fine!  Cheaper than a chamois / drying cloth....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I've tried using a leaf blower ( was out in the garden before with it anyways ) and quite frankly, it makes more mess and noise than it solved.

Took blooody AGES too, gave up after it took a good 10 mins just to dry the front end!

Thought the whole point of these serum finishes and a good was was that the water just "beads up and rolls off"....

At less than £25 worth a punt. If it doesn't work then I can use it to,   ta-daaa, blow some leaves away....

I don't know if @CocoPopswaxed it, but to be fair the rain over the weekend did bead up really nicely. So nicely we assumed it was waxed last week! It's now covered in leaves, seeds, mud and other filth so it's not looking quite as good

Nope, just a good clean wash, micro fibre dry, and then a Quick Detail spray just before you drove home.

They do say that if you apply a wax over the top of the ceramic coat, then the hydrophobic properties are only as good as the top layer of coating.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats

Thanks, that sounds easy and I like the lack of polishing/waxing. What's a quick detail spray?! What about the wheels, same thing? 

PS. Collected the new one yet? Picturrrrrrrrrresssssssss!!

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/ultimate-quik-detailer-650ml

My usual routine was Snow foam, to loosen any dirt, gentle pressure wash off, Wash mitt with car shampoo, then micro fibre towel off (2 or 3 towels for the Evora size cars) then a quick once over with the quick detailer spray with a micro fibre cloth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Thought the whole point of these serum finishes and a good was was that the water just "beads up and rolls off"....

At less than £25 worth a punt. If it doesn't work then I can use it to,   ta-daaa, blow some leaves away....

Too bloody heavy i found and the opening too big. Then add the noise and looking like a complete prat (which I look like anyway because of the amount of time I spend washing cars).  Really need an outlet like a dyson blade hand dryer. 

Ive found that a good carnuba wax is better at resisting swirls than C1, so go over the C1 with wax now, rather than C2.

G1 and G2 excellent on glass. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

I'll try the leaf blower anyway as no one can see me!

Failing that will take Mr. Myagi's lessons to heart...    Wax on. Wax off. Wax on....

10 hours ago, Simon Bateman said:

My detailer was keen to point out that you still need a car washing plan that works in conjunction with the finish involving most of the usual precautions that we should all probably take if we want to keep our cars looking as good as possible.

You need to clean cars ? 

Only here once

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

........If it doesn't work then I can use it to,   ta-daaa, blow some leaves, grit, mud and any other crap that was lying on the ground all over my previously gleaming paintwork......

ETFY Andy, :P .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

You need to clean cars ? 

Basically my detailer was saying that you still need to clean the car properly, but probably not as often. 

If someone wants to take their car to the local supermarket for a random wash with a bucket of grit, then the ceramic coat is not going to save you.  It resists swirls etc, but it's not a miracle worker.

Quite honestly if someone can't be bothered to use a degree of care when washing their own car, then it probably isn't worth the investment.  If on the other hand you give it a wash once a month or so and do a half decent job with the usual recommended practices, then it will look good for longer.

• Like 1

Wash mine between every drive.  Just prefer to open the garage to a gleaming sparkly thing. Often it just gets a rinse with warm water through the hose, a snow foam, and then a hose off. The only thing that touches it is the drying clothes and this works well if the dirt is not ingrained after weeks of driving.

Laterly I had got some detailing spray for the finishing touch. However, just invested in some good carnuba based wax and will be putting this on top of the serum coating every other month. Can't have too much protection really.

It's not a labour of love as I really do not enjoy doing it (washing it that it) but it's part of the ownership experience I guess.

I guess it also helps that the car is not a daily.

3 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

Argh - just cliked those links and that bloody shite VIGLINK site thing is back.  ARGH!!!!!!  Back to cut and past I guess.

I am liking that towel. Flipping expensive but will probably bite the bullet...

16 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

You need to clean cars ? 

2 hours ago, Simon Bateman said:

Basically my detailer was saying that you still need to clean the car properly, but probably not as often. 

No Lotus Content (well not unless you count my Evora lurking in the background).

Last July we attended National Alfa Day with my good lady's Giulietta, which we've owned from new so I'm entirely responsible for its current condition. The Rosso Competizione (8C red) paint was a £2k option so I've lavished quite a bit of care and attention on it to keep it looking the part over the then almost 7 years and 90k miles we'd had it.

In preparation for its 'big day', I spent the entire long-weekend before giving it a full detail - initial rinse, snow foam, second rinse, full claying, third rinse, 3-bucket wash with lambswool mitt, pat down with microfiber drying cloths, machine polish, colour enhancer coating, 3 layers of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (the DIY version), then finished off with a final layer of Gtechniq EXO Hybrid Coating. A lot of man-hours but the final effect was well worth the effort.

847134664_Giuliettashine1.jpg.487027a4781fb190f9f26df811927ad5.jpg

Fast forward to today. 10 months down the line and a further 10k miles on the clock and the car has not yet been washed again since that pre-show session detailed above. Sure, I've had to do some localised treatments with bird-lime neutraliser and an absorbent cloth following the inevitable avian attacks, but the car has not had a bucker near it.

It has been very difficult to resist the temptation to unreel the hosepipe but I was interested to see just how resilient the Gtechniq products were before I consider putting them anywhere near the Evora, :whistle:. Apart from some brake dust deposits now settling on the front wheels, I think the pics below speak volumes and the blue beast will shortly be undergoing a similar pampering weekend.

459362605_Giuliettashine2.jpg.9e8709c740cb9ae4f669ba56220961b7.jpg

105588314_Giuliettashine3.jpg.1efdc661ab0162d300008ea6aecca332.jpg

• Like 1