free hit
counters
Boss adaptor for lotus elite 1978 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Boss adaptor for lotus elite 1978

Hey guys I’m having trouble sourcing a boss kit for my new steering wheel. It’s for a lotus elite 1978 series 1. The steering wheel has a pcd of 70mm. I’ve tried eBay and a bunch of websites but no one can help. Surely there must be another car out there with the same spline diameter on the steering column as my lotus. 

Any help would be much appreciated 

Regards 

Ben 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They’re a standard size across both Elite & Eclat, S1 & S2. I replaced mine from Lotusbits. Definitely worth a call. 

• Like 1

Regular restorer. Rather less reliable forum poster!

Hi Ben,

Early range rover, sprite and midget boss kit and MGB from 70 onwards fits our cars, so you should get something locally?

However, 70mm 6 bolt is a momo/sparco/omp fitting. Are you desperate to use that size?

The Mountney boss (MB015) is readily available and cheap, but is a different pcd to the wheel your trying to fit. Moto-lita, Mountney and a few others use 4" pcd. Mountney wheels are plentiful and relatively cheap.

21 hours ago, Dunc said:

Hi Ben,

Early range rover, sprite and midget boss kit and MGB from 70 onwards fits our cars, so you should get something locally?

However, 70mm 6 bolt is a momo/sparco/omp fitting. Are you desperate to use that size?

The Mountney boss (MB015) is readily available and cheap, but is a different pcd to the wheel your trying to fit. Moto-lita, Mountney and a few others use 4" pcd. Mountney wheels are plentiful and relatively cheap.

Yeah I am kind of desperate for the 70mm pcd as the steering wheel is a  Volante steering wheel which I’ve already bought. I contacted Mountney and yeah they explained they only do 4” pcd. 

I’ll look into the Range Rover and MGB boss kits. 

Should of bought the boss first. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just checking.....can you guys help please?

Type 75 Elite.....

Is the boss 17.5mm diameter and 32 splines??????

is the 17.5 to the inside or outside of the teeth/splines?....

How deep are the teeth/splines?

Thanks in advance

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Ah......cool thanks......

In that case I think the column spline diameter is 11/16ths......

I'm sure I've seen that somewhere 

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)