free hit
counters
Clutch? Or something worse - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Update I bought that 1984 esprit turbo for 2gs. Turn the key starts right up. My issue is with the car off I can cycle through the gears no problem. With the car running can’t shift into any gear. If I turn the car off and put it in gear with foot on clutch and turn over key the car jumps forward. Again I’m a novice so any help would be great. Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you checked the clutch fluid level, bled it to renew and remove any air? 

I haven’t done anything yet just got the car home. I will take all you advice and start working on it as soon as I can. 

If you can post an audio clip that may help people figure out what it is.  

Have you checked the clutch fluid level, bled it to renew and remove any air? 

• Thanks 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Of course, if you see any leaks (either clutch master, or slave) you should either rebuild the cylinders, or replace them (if the inner bore is scored or corroded).

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

@Wormser sorry my friend not really been around, so you bought a S3 Turbo for 2k US and it runs? 

Pictures required, sorry if I have missed something but I can confirm that is deal of the century 

Dan 

• Gold FFM

I'd have flown over to buy that one!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Really common problem, always when they’ve been left to sit for a while, you have a seized on clutch! 

Theyre a complete pain to get off, the easy way is start the car up in gear foot on clutch, handbrake on, it will hopefully desieze.

if that doesn’t work, make sure you are somewhere that you can drive forwards! start it in gear foot on clutch, once it is moving forwards, you have to be a bit violent with the handbrake with your foot still on the clutch. Hopefully the clutch will then release. 

Final option would be to remove the gearbox and remove the clutch manually and the replace it with a new one.

With a good amount of time, effort and technique, I’ve never had one that won’t de seize, but they can be extremely stubborn!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all again you guys are great. I got it unseized drove it for a little very gingerly but I hear something grinding. Not sure what that could be. I can now shift the car even went into reverse but something doesn’t sound right. 

• Gold FFM

Good progress on the clutch!

I hope you gave the engine a good check before running it. If it had been sitting long enough for the clutch to seize, all fluids should be changed and I wouldn't take any risks with the timing belt either.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.