free hit
counters
Lotus launches the new Exige Sport 410 - Page 9 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus launches the new Exige Sport 410

mycerbera

3 hours ago, Stubox said:

Frankly, this Sport 410 feels good enough to take on whatever the next Cayman GT4 can offer, such is its breadth of ability, level of performance and glorious tactility. In this spec it makes an almost viable case for regular use, while still blowing the competition out of the water for thrills. Of course, if you're genuinely buying a sports car with the intention of driving it to work everyday, and value the niceties of a well-appointed interior, then the Cayman remains the best around (a distinction which applies just as well to the S variant as it does the more expensive GTS). However if you can compromise on the luxury, if you can learn how to get out gracefully and you can tolerate its spartanism, then the Exige really is utterly sensational. Where Lotus goes from here nobody quite seems to know, but by goodness can they make a sports car. It has to win.”

However, price ‘as tested’: Audi £61k, Pork £77k, Exige £103k!

• Thanks 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

And the Exige looks way way better than the boring looks of the Audi and the Porsche.

To my knowledge the adapted Toyota EA60 gearbox which is fitted in the Exige 410 is exactly the same gearbox that is used in the Sport 350.

Considering that the gearbox in my one year old Sport 350 with just 20.000 km recently failed (3. gear pops out when relaesing the clutch - supposedly a defective shifting claw) and sadly no spare parts are available due to the great number of comparable failures within the last few days (!) at my dealers garage I would not spent the amount of money claimed for the Exige 410 on a car that's not offered with a basically modified and improved drive train

Anyway - I desperatly hope for spare parts to come in next week.....

1 hour ago, Ali tuck said:

But.......103grand!!!!!!!!

430 anyone?

Yes i think if you are going to consider buying  a 410 then as per previous comments once you put a bit of Carbon on it you are  in 430 territory.

430 cup will surely hold its value better after a couple of years and be a more sought after Car

I guess a standard 410 makes more sense as you have almost power of 430 , the excellent Nitrons and quite likely a Car nearly as quick on track for £15,000 less.

Will you get a discount from dealer though!!!

On 26/05/2018 at 08:31, C8RKH said:

The Porsche won.

You have to eat your hat now, winner 410 🏆🏆🏆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wilbert Camshaft said:

To my knowledge the adapted Toyota EA60 gearbox which is fitted in the Exige 410 is exactly the same gearbox that is used in the Sport 350.

Considering that the gearbox in my one year old Sport 350 with just 20.000 km recently failed (3. gear pops out when relaesing the clutch - supposedly a defective shifting claw) and sadly no spare parts are available due to the great number of comparable failures within the last few days (!) at my dealers garage I would not spent the amount of money claimed for the Exige 410 on a car that's not offered with a basically modified and improved drive train

Sorry to hear this, but not heard of too many problems with this box. 

Cant they just get a new one if under  warranty?

7 hours ago, scotty435 said:

You have to eat your hat now, winner 410 🏆🏆🏆

it’s fab that the exige 410 is doing so well in all the reviews. The pricing is a bit scary though. 

The exige was very nearly an Elise 220 sport more expensive than the GTS. 

• Gold FFM
On 27/05/2018 at 09:52, Wilbert Camshaft said:

But you'd be happy to buy a Porsche that at one point was eating engines like a kid eats chocolate M&M's but its Ok coz Porsche kept everything quiet?

I'll say it again. One forgiveness rule for Porsche, one battering rule for Lotus.

Anyway, enjoyed the read. Totally surprised by the outcome. Well done PH.

As for the Audi. Well 'nuff said. Looks like a skip. Drives like a skip. Inspires like a skip.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Sorry to hear you have had all the problems with both brands Wilbert, no body deserves that and guess one for me to watch I don't shoot my own toes off.

Hopefully you will get a resolution and get back to enjoying the Exige.  i don't pretend Lotus cars are perfect, but I do feel they do get cut no slack where other manufacturers are dealt with more leniently by the press / owners etc.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I would like to report good news, but regrettably there's no good news as far as my Lotus is concerned.....

No spare parts for my damaged gear box available - guaranty in no time denied because of alleged track use - track day in Imola cancelled...., what a dump!

Increase in price is obviously the only skill left for now - I hope Geely will teach them a lesson soon!

Fortunately I bought my MX5 a few days ago, that's the car that will take us to to Italy next week......

This is what I'am missing due to faulty build quality and to shameful spare parts supply - disgraceful for Lotus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0X7aJi9ELE

Edited by Wilbert Camshaft

Hang on a second - you opened up a reasonably new gearbox and put a non-OEM LSD into it. You then broke the gearbox. 

Do you really think that Lotus would be in a rush to honour a warranty on the gearbox?

I think fanboys here are overly keen to see what they want to see. To me Wilbert is primarily not happy about no possibility to get the parts and he's stated clearly that most likely the warranty will not be enforceable due to installation of LSD. Perhaps he's also referring to the fact that increase in prices could go hand in hand with increase in service, including parts availability?

It is pathetic to read all of this Lotus "defence" against customers who actually buy and use this cars (which are indeed special and nice). You'd rather help your idol by pushing towards becoming better (e.g. parts available, windows not leaking, headlights functioning, doors opening).

On what basis do you say he's broken the gearbox? Could it just happen to be a not good enough parts in it?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@vd9 for every fanboy on here defending there seems to be someone equally happy to "have a go" so we end up with a balanced view i do believe on here.

I'm not sure on what basis you are saying "could it just happen to be a not good enough parts in it" (the gearbox that is). There are plenty of examples on here of people who have the same gearbox on cars that have been heavily tuned and used and no gearbox issues. 

Maybe, just maybe. Wilbert has been bloody unlucky with his setup and gearbox. But you can;t then just imply that all the gearbox's ar not good enough.  A little balance please.

As for the spares I do, as a Fanboy, actually think it is bloody shocking and if I was head of Customer Services for a loyal customer I would have opened a damn gearbox in the stores to get him the parts needed. I might have even sent him a bill for it.  however, i have no idea if Lotus can even get some of the gearbox internals as i thought they were shipped by Toyota as a whole unit, so the issue might be that Lotus cannot get the parts from toyota. Just a thought.

But then I had I am sure heard that Lotus open up the gearboxes and replace some parts with their own. So, maybe I am wrong.

Wilbert - really sorry to hear your news and the fact you have had to almost (saved by the Mazda) had to call off your trip. I do really hope this all gets resolved for you quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review of the Exige Sport 410 in the Driven section (August Edition) of Evo... 

Anyone who still believes they don't  understand Lotus or are too bias towards Stuttgart need to read this article. I won't spoil it but have to quote this bit:-

"At Times violently so, sucking you into the horizon at a rate to be expected of a car with the power-to-weight ratio - 376bhp per ton - that outmuscles a 911 Turbo S."

I really want an Exige 😖

image.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tim_marra said:

Once they arrange a comparison test, normal service is resumed, and Porsche wins.

I do think it is fair if you are comparing two as cars and not just driving pleasure devices. I personally think the push should be made to be incomparable with focus on 1) raw and pure driving experience, 2) hand built for you personally, and 3) it is hugely cost-effective to run, so you can use it as much as you please. Trying to play on the overall car comparison basis does not really make sense and can only result in a loss.

2 hours ago, tim_marra said:

EVO always play this line when driving a Lotus in isolation. Once they arrange a comparison test, normal service is resumed, and Porsche wins.

Tossers i'm afraid :2guns:

borne out by the fact that the new Aston Martin Vantage, McLaren 540c, R8 V10 and 911 GTS test was won by the GTS. Actually it was very hard on the Aston. 

Great write up on the Exige 410 though and you so really get a sense that they get the brand and that despite lots of old components, the cars are still getting better. I don't think Lotus could hope for a better result. Interestingly the M4 CS tested a page early, which gets a pretty good write up (no where near as glowing as the exige) is torn apart for its £85k price tag. It was with some trepidation therefore, that i started reading the exige article knowing it was over £100k and yet actually it seems the exige managed to convince them that its talents made it acceptable in the price band. The only mention of it being in the summarised negative.