free hit
counters
Engine bay cooling fan - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Engine bay cooling fan

Has anyone installed a cooling fan to encourage air flow into the engine bay when the car is stationary?  I've found that in hot weather my s2.2 dies / very unhappy if at a stand still or in slow moving traffic.  Just wondering if the carbs get too hot causing fuel evaporation?   Runs fine when on the move (and also in cooler weather).  Grateful for any thoughts / experience.

Cheers  John.

P.S. Sorry to hear no meet at Brooklands this year.

• 1 month later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Surprised no one has replied to you yet.  Good friend of mine Bob Fogle came up with this....   boat bilge pump, flexible drier pipe and adjustable temp sensor...  Sitting in traffic sensor kicks in a

Posted Images

Surprised no one has replied to you yet.  Good friend of mine Bob Fogle came up with this....   boat bilge pump, flexible drier pipe and adjustable temp sensor...  Sitting in traffic sensor kicks in at your preset level, 170, 180 or whatever...  Sounds a bit odd when you arrive at a show, get out and walk away as the pump kicks in to extract the hot air from the top of the engine..

IMG_6802.JPG

IMG_6819.JPG

Fuel evaporation is a real problem in July/August in most states in the USA....

• Like 1

Some Federal carb Turbos came with a fan and thermoswitch mounted on the engine cover, and ducting from one of the chassis side scoops to the carb area. Circuit had a timer delay to turn off the fan a while after engine off.

This is not a OEM fan, but you get the idea.

EngineCoverSmall.jpg

• 2 months later...

Reducing engine bay temperatures - comprehensive approach

Cold air in:

- louvers in the belly pan

- 180cfm marine bilge blowers (2) inside of the left sail ducts

Hot air out:

- 3 x  VA67-A101-83A - 330 cfm - SPAL Electric Fans - 6.5" (167mm) pulling/expelling hot air + DERALE, Hayden or American Volt thermostatic fan controller, PN# AV-1069

Also, a thick DEI turbo blanket significantly reduces engine bay temperatures

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_8017.JPG

IMG_7971.JPG

I did what others have already mentioned and may be the simplest solution.

I installed a high flow marine air bilge fan in the left side ducting to encourage the normal airflow.

Without it, in hot weather and stationary, the temp gauge went worryingly high, even with new modern radiator fans and new 3 core radiator.

I used a SHURflow yellow tail that sits on top of the left hand fuel tank board on rubber feet to reduce vibration. Its quite noisy when running but only cost £25-30 I think so there may be quieter versions for more. Its controlled by a fan thermostat on the opposite side of the bay (away from exhaust manifold) and fed by a constant positive so it can continue to run after I have locked up and walked away. The temp to come on is controllable and is trial and error. When its running, a solid stream of hot air is extracted and blown out through the back of the left hand ear so it seems to be very effective.

First image is the thermostat just under the airbox intake. Think the thermostat is intended to be submerged but still works well. The actual Kenlowe controller sits on the right hand tank board, making adjustment a little tricky but its so out of the way, I couldnt even get a photo of it!

Second image is the fan on the left tank board.

Hope this helps. Si

IMG_20180817_112641.jpg

IMG_20180817_112630.jpg

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Another good option if looking at reducing engine temps is look at fitting an electric fan to the oil cooler and wiring it into the otter/fan switch so it cuts in with the fans when the cars static :)

A

Never had this problem with my S2. Is the 2.2 maybe more temperamental? Temperature goes up, fans kick in, temperature goes down...

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Perhaps its a function of how well sealed your engine bay is?

Mine is completely sealed (apart from the open bottom of course) since the resto, so whilst static, there can be no air movement in the bay. Running hot engine + exhaust manifold = HOT.

Expecting cold water to cool the bay from deep within the engine is perhaps a bridge too far.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein