free hit
counters
Oh no what have I done - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Great find!

Keep it black. Having one white and one black would be cool.

Where's the engine?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Black. Original every day.

:) 

It's getting there......

Mint green? be different;

image.png.36532f4e8ae8c7f048bc8ee2a386d0a6.png

Original is usually better but I've never been a fan of black on anything much, hides all the beautiful details.

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I like that green :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

Mint green? be different;

image.png.36532f4e8ae8c7f048bc8ee2a386d0a6.png

Original is usually better but I've never been a fan of black on anything much, hides all the beautiful details.

There were only 3 mint green S1s according to the records I have. I do like that colour but it was never available in Feb 77 when this car was made.

49 minutes ago, 21gg said:

I like the gold!

There were 7 gold S1s according to the records I have but it's not a colour that appeals to me.

22 hours ago, TAR said:

Black. Original every day.

:) 

I tend to agree that it should be kept original but I've never liked black cars and I'm really not keen on black for an S1.

Life would have been so much easier if I had found an original orange S1 as I wouldn't have felt guilty about changing the colour then!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I get the train of thought saying keep it original but it's not like you are doing irreversible body work mods. Its your car, if you like orange, then do it orange. Looking forward to the finished car.

Gav 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2018 at 04:20, Freemason said:

Great find!

Keep it black. Having one white and one black would be cool.

Where's the engine?

The engine came with the car although it wasn't fitted. It's a matching numbers engine with the original head and block all present and correct. There was also a spare engine out of an Eclat or Elite which will act as a donor for any missing parts. This is the original engine as found, sat in the previous owner's garage...

101_0028.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

There were only 3 mint green S1s according to the records I have. I do like that colour but it was never available in Feb 77 when this car was made.

There were 7 gold S1s according to the records I have but it's not a colour that appeals to me.

Whats the deal with Lotus colours? Every time I see a brochure or colour chart for a 70s model it has red/black/white/yellow etc, all the predictable "sporty" stuff, then odd ones pop up in colours like Viper green and mint green, an someone reveals they were single digit production numbers.

Did Lotus paint their cars anything you wanted, or was there an "under the counter" extended colour swatch for a range of "oh if you must" paintjobs?

PS I've never seen a  gold S1, do you have any pictures or a description? Presumably it was different to Championship gold which was the signature S2 colour.

PPS I'm sure I saw mint green mentioned on a very early S2 build record. Old pictures show S1 cars behind S2s on the production line during the 1978 changeover year, so its conceivable some colours "bled" over.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

On 21/05/2018 at 20:53, Paul Coleman said:

The engine came with the car although it wasn't fitted. It's a matching numbers engine with the original head and block all present and correct. There was also a spare engine out of an Eclat or Elite which will act as a donor for any missing parts. This is the original engine as found, sat in the previous owner's garage...

101_0028.JPG

Keep hold of those leaves Paul they might be original.

Margate Exotics.

Cam belt looks good

Only here once

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Keep hold of those leaves Paul they might be original.

Hahaha yeah okay will do ;) 

It has cleaned up surprisingly well and I'm hoping to get away without spending a fortune on it... nothing can possibly go wrong!

• Haha 1

Now where have we heard that phrase before..............Mr. Kearley?

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

No comment

Only here once

Well here's a bit of an update on this car as discovered from talking to @Tony K ... the paint code for this car is S06 which means it's a gel coat car rather than as I expected a painted car. This was the first black car for the UK market and was produced in Feb of '77. By March they had dropped the gel coat and started painting the cars but there wasn't another black car made for the UK market until May, which means this may well be the only black gel coat car ever made for the UK market. I still don't want a black car though!

Mine was originally blue and the previous owner painted it Torch red from a Corvette (he drove Corvettes). The paint job is excellent so I cannot justify changing it, but I wish it was original (Plus, I already had a red Bugeye)

Paul do you plan to keep two Esprits when you finish?  If you are planning on keeping the car for a long time, paint it the color you want. If you will restore it to sell, take it back to the original black. 

You COULD paint it orange on the outside and black in the hard to reach areas so it would not require as much disassembly to go back to black, but that would be sort of a halfway job  

i look forward to following the restoration  

Jim

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

If it's going to be sold white would be better?

12 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

If it's going to be sold white would be better?

White is getting to be overplayed.  When a red, yellow, blue, black, etc., S1 in the U.S. sells overseas (which is where most of them go), I've heard a few people joke, "Well, there's another one that's going to be painted white!"  :P  

It seems so many people in the UK and Europe want only a white one, they buy whatever S1 they can get their hands on, and they all (okay most, not all) paint it white.  The number of white S1s running around must be staggering by now.   I'd imagine by now if ten S1s showed up at a gathering or show, eight of them would be white.  😄

EDIT:  But who am I kidding?   A white S1 is like a red Ferrari;  there will always be someone who wants one and will have no other color!

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

16 hours ago, Tony K said:

White is getting to be overplayed.  When a red, yellow, blue, black, etc., S1 in the U.S. sells overseas (which is where most of them go), I've heard a few people joke, "Well, there's another one that's going to be painted white!"  :P  

It seems so many people in the UK and Europe want only a white one, they buy whatever S1 they can get their hands on, and they all (okay most, not all) paint it white.  The number of white S1s running around must be staggering by now.   I'd imagine by now if ten S1s showed up at a gathering or show, eight of them would be white.  😄

EDIT:  But who am I kidding?   A white S1 is like a red Ferrari;  there will always be someone who wants one and will have no other color!

Yes I agree with you, too many Bond wannabes! Not only are the exterior colours all going white but the interiors are going tartan as well.

I personally think it puts a lot of serious collectors off buying a car if the exterior colour has been changed along with an interior change. I had my white car (which left the factory as white/tartan) up for sale last year for a while and had somebody who was serious about buying it although we couldn't agree on the price so it never went through. Afterwards I put him on to a couple of cars that subsequently came up for sale but he wouldn't even go and look at them because they'd both been resprayed in non-original white. I'm sure a Bond fan would only want a white/tartan S1 but with prices as they are now they've got to be a reasonably wealthy Bond fan and that's a limited audience.

If this car had originally been red or yellow I would probably have kept it the same but I just don't like black cars. With it possibly being the only black gel coat car it does seem a shame to change it but I've got to be able to live with it.

In the e-type world the favourite resale colour is red, so much so that the dealers call it 'retail red'

Edited by Paul Coleman

Listen to the gremlins in your head... 'Go ORANGE my son'. Its what you wanted. I don't think it will affect its value one jot if the resto is good.

• Like 1

@jonroberts orange all the way. That mans car has a lot to answer for...... 

• Like 1

Only here once