free hit
counters
Oh no what have I done - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Paul,

I am blown away by your attention to detail. You are inspiring me. 

I also chuckled when I saw your lawnmower and your golf bag pull cart in amongst the Lotus parts. It could be my garage!  

Is the garage big enough for the other S1 and the E-type or are they kept elsewhere?

Jim

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

7 hours ago, jtmco said:

Paul,

I am blown away by your attention to detail. You are inspiring me. 

I also chuckled when I saw your lawnmower and your golf bag pull cart in amongst the Lotus parts. It could be my garage!  

Is the garage big enough for the other S1 and the E-type or are they kept elsewhere?

Jim

I'm currently living in a rented house and my white S1, my e-type and my Daughter's Mini are all in storage. I'm not allowed to restore a car in my rented house (part of the lease agreement) so the body of the latest Esprit is in my Dad's garage. When I move back home one of the cars will have to go unless I can find storage somewhere...

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

More than happy to store that S1 nice and safely.

ill even run it now and again as a favour for you

Only here once

3 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

More than happy to store that S1 nice and safely.

ill even run it now and again as a favour for you

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure the insurance company would like you to do that as they're paying the storage fees!

Well I've been trying to figure out what sort of cam belt tensioner this car would have come with and whether what was on it is original/correct. The parts manual shows 2 different front covers depending upon whether you have a manual (item 18) or automatic (item 20) tensioner...

1zokp55.jpg

My car has an automatic tensioner but the front cover seems to be a hybrid between the two sorts... it has the cutouts like an automatic one but has the mounting for the manual one...

qz2ikl.jpg

My quest is just to put it back to how it left the factory but having done some checking with other owners it seems to be a bit hit and miss as to what you got. I suspect my car is from the cross-over period and what I have is what it left the factory with but I can't be 100% sure...

0235G has a manual tensioner
0244G is my car which came with a semi-automatic one
0278G has a semi-automatic one
0284G has a manual one

All very strange.

On a positive note I have now collected all the tools for the toolkit except one awkward spanner, a Superslim 10mmx13mm double open ended one...

2rcvr5w.jpg

What can I say? It keeps me amused ;)

• Like 1

Due to loss of storage space I had to sell this car and the new owner has almost finished the restoration. It will be orange with a tartan interior - the best combination imho.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Who restored it?

Ian Brazier from Northampton - don't think he's a member here though?