free hit
counters
Delco-Moraine deletion - production guinea pig. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Delco-Moraine deletion - production guinea pig.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Collected my S4 from Sparky this evening on the way back from the family hols in Devon and WOW the transformation is a great success The conversion is amazing and totally changes the way I can dr

Been tied up with work lately, but I managed to go for a quick blast and the conversion still brings a huge grin on my face.😀  @Sparky and @Chillidoggy  fyi the pressure is spot on and reservoir

Now that @Chillidoggy has done all the hard work, the remainder of the Exotics triumvirate can jump in and have their fun.  Barry will be doing his, and I'll be doing Dragan's ( @Hornsey Boy), who was

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

The brackets and pushrods are simply fantastically engineered and better than the original. A real credit to the fabricator. 

Far far more sturdy and solid down there than what fitted currently.

fitting the stuff - well that’s down to the competency of the chap fitting it. Yes it will undoubtably have it’s minor hurdles - but the hard ground work has been done. Us guineapigs just need to crack on now.

really looking forward to seeing the stuff arrive in the coming days

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Yup, my roman candle has well and truly fizzled.  I may have to shuffle my schedule considerably!  Any ballpark date?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I have been chatting to Gary about the brakes for a while.The swing point for me was seeing the finished product in Ian's car at Duxford. The installation was a true work of art, far better than anything that left the factory. I knew it was a no brainer

Fingers crossed with the suppliers.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I’ll post up a picture later on when that bracket which arrived today is fitted - @Chillidoggy don’t tell anyone else

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I'll get you, and it'll look like an accident.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Sort of off-topic - I'm not going to gut the braking system until I've finished most of the other work, so for Dragan's delight and delectation here's an update.

Cambelt and tensioner replaced today, followed by a good look over under the back. A few things...

Exhaust manifold lower studs 1,2 and 8 missing.  I've replaced 2 and 8, both of which tied down nicely.  There's no way I'm getting at 1 without taking off the heatshield or maybe dismounting the engine. No. 8 pictured.

IMAG0379-20180508-202356517.jpg

This U-bolt is falling apart, rattling around and needs replacing.

IMAG0381-20180508-202428350.jpg

Fair amount of corrosion on the chassis by the manifold.

IMAG0373-20180508-202250691.jpg

Translator bearing is very worn.

IMAG0378-20180508-202337262.jpg

Started investigating your erratic idle issue.  EBPV is indeed isolated and locked open.  I need to take a look at some vacuum stuff, but I'm suspecting throttle position sensor.  More news tomorrow.

IMAG0372-20180508-202216278.jpg

And one last gratuitous shot of your Delco Moraine setup.  It's the last time you'll see it!

IMAG0382-20180508-202444168.jpg

Apologies for poor focus on some of the pics.  It's an HTC 'feature' I'm working through...

• Gold FFM

Thanks for update. I knew one manifold bolt was missing but not the others....

The baco foil was my attempt to hold off on anymore heat damage from the turbo. Noel (as the kids call the car) must have had some previous owners who were a little more spirited in their driving ☺️ will need to figure out a better fix on this.

As for the delco moraine system may be we should have a ritual bonfire and throw it on there and exorcist it once and for all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Hornsey Boy said:

I have been chatting to Gary about the brakes for a while.The swing point for me was seeing the finished product in Ian's car at Duxford. The installation was a true work of art, far better than anything that left the factory. I knew it was a no brainer

Fingers crossed with the suppliers.

Your kind words are much appreciated, Dragan.

I'm sure they won't be too long, and of course you're in the best of hands with Watford Exotics!

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Me?  I'm just following the Lego instructions.

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, Hornsey Boy said:

As for the delco moraine system may be we should have a ritual bonfire and throw it on there and exorcist it once and for all.

Most will indeed be very happy with Ians alternative, but it would be a waste to throw away the original parts. I know there's owners out there who wish to keep their standard ABS and maintain it in good shape. A supply of parts by those who have converted will make it a win-win. ;)

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

31 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Me?  I'm just following the Lego instructions.

I think Dragan's expecting an Esprit returned to him, not a Millennium Falcon.

7 minutes ago, Escape said:

Most will indeed be very happy with Ians alternative, but it would be a waste to throw away the original parts. I know there's owners out there who wish to keep their standard ABS and maintain it in good shape. A supply of parts by those who have converted will make it a win-win. ;)

Filip

I couldn't agree more, that's why mine's up on eBay right now.

Margate Exotics.

Am I the only one that hasn't seen the photos of what Ian has done?

Where?

I have looked around but I can't find them. They are hiding themselves from my powerful moderating prowess!

Can I have some help please?  :getmecoat: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• Gold FFM

Bit of a stretch, I know, but if you search for "Delco Moraine" you might find it on page 1 of the results. 😊

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I hate you.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I fear posting a picture of the brackets may push you over the edge

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Final OT update for Dragan - tomorrow I commence Delco Moraine deletion.

Oil changed, rough idle investigated.  Bear with me.  EBPV isolated and tied open.  Throttle jack still fitted and randomly increasing idle by several hundred RPM.  Throttle jack solenoid missing; instead the TJ receives vacuum from the EBPV solenoid.  I haven't yet tried to rationalise this.  So, deleted the TJ (all of it) and dealt with vacuum hoses appropriately.  Ran engine up to temp.  Very fast idle gone, but still erratic.  Throttle position sensor randomly reads between 1 & 6 at idle.  Code 26!  What a surprise.  Will order a TPS and check TJ cabling tomorrow.  Both TPS screws chewed to hell (someone has tried and failed to remove them) so they were rigorously unscrewed with a Dremel.

A PO (Petrol Feet Driven, remember him?) changed the door mirror covers for horrible carbon fibre things.  At Dragan's request, reverted to original.  That's better.

Loads of bits arrived today for the brake conversion.  I'm really looking forward to this.

TJ present:

IMAG0401-20180509-195948745.jpg

TJ gone!

IMAG0402-20180509-200010485.jpg

Yuk.

IMAG0392-20180509-195736390.jpg

Better.

IMAG0396-20180509-195811506.jpg

MUCH better.

IMAG0397-20180509-195856475.jpg

Sexy new vacuum pump:

IMAG0400-20180509-195924281.jpg

I'm on board as well with this conversion, as soon as you guys have completed yours and happy with the outcome, I'll be looking to purchase mine. Having seen Ian's setup at Duxford I am very impressed with the setup.

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM
21 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Better.

IMAG0396-20180509-195811506.jpg

MUCH better.

IMAG0397-20180509-195856475.jpg

Sexy new vacuum pump:

IMAG0400-20180509-195924281.jpg

Find any spare clips for them wing mirrors ??

i do like the looks of that vac pump

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Sparky thanks for the update and chat earlier

EBPV /Throttle jack/code26 /TPS .........this must be the local street slang in Watford 😀 

The original door mirrors look sooooo much better, I now wish I had them sprayed up with a fresh lick of paint before hand

Roll on the brake conversion