free hit
counters
Upgrade SU Fuel Pump? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
woozie

Upgrade SU Fuel Pump?

Hi all,  

My fuel pump is giving up the go, It's very weak and most of the time sticks. I've Cleaned and reset the points by the book so now I'm wondering if anybody has upgraded their original SU fuel pump to the SJS electronic pump. I understand they are the same pump but the points have been replaced by a circuit board. Anybody done this swap? Recommended? Stay away?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi James :welcome: 

I'm in WGC as well.

Can't help you with the fuel pump, but there's a meeting tonight at the Wicked Lady - you'd be very welcome. Would be great to have an S1 along.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woozie said:

Hi all,  

My fuel pump is giving up the go, It's very weak and most of the time sticks. I've Cleaned and reset the points by the book so now I'm wondering if anybody has upgraded their original SU fuel pump to the SJS electronic pump. I understand they are the same pump but the points have been replaced by a circuit board. Anybody done this swap? Recommended? Stay away?

Yep, just had this done on my S3 by GST. Looks identical, still makes the ticking noise but a great upgrade

Got mine  changed recently  and as Bazza says it works fine and sounds just like the original. A word of caution, the chaps at Southern Carbs in Crawley said that the  pump operates at a slightly higher pressure than the original, 2.4psi vs 3psi and on mine with the new pump I had a slight weep through the needle valves on the carbs with the ignition on but the engine not running. Turns out I had slight scoring on the needle valves and now they have been replaced (vitron tips) everything is fine. Might be worth checking the needle valves out on yours.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

EPSON003-1.jpg

Thanks for advice chaps. I'll go for the SJS pump and hopefully another job ticked off the list. 

@ChrisJ Oh wow great stuff not too far away! Unfortunately the body is off (currently undergoing resto) but thank you for the invite! I think i'll give tonight a miss however, enjoy all! 

Hi James,

I also upgraded to the SU pump with electronics instead of points.

My old pump left me on the side of the highway near spa francorchamps a year ago. I tried cleaning the points and it ran , but not for very long, so it was time for the upgrade. All went well since then.

When I refurbed my carbs some years ago, I also went for the viton tips ( needles) instead of the metal ones. I think it is safer to prevent carb overflow. Viton is a flexible rubber material from dupont and it does shut a lot better then a metal needle. Less risk of scoring the needle with the risk of leaking and overflow. Cost is about 15€/pc and you need two pc

Geert

Edited by gvy

I've just swapped for electronic pump too but seem to be having some issues at idle which I never had previously. Engine ticks over nicely then suddenly revs dip and pump goes tick tick tick then all well again but it's not a one off. Sometimes the engine stalls. Not had a chance to investigate yet so can't say if it's a pump issue or elsewhere.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

hi Pete,

It looks as if there is a clog somewhere in the system. You can try to take the petrol hose of the first carb, put it in a jar and let the pump fill the jar and see what happens. Does it pump without any hesistation ? Is there a filter in the system between pump and carbs that could be clogged?

If the engine stalls, that means that the fuel in the carbbowls is getting to low, and if the pump suddenly starts ticking fast, it is filling up fast so the engine takes up again.

The pump reacts on pressure. So somewhere something sticks .

• Like 1

Thanks @gvyGeert. I will look into it when I get a chance. Right now after 4 months of being off the road I just want to drive!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

On 28/09/2018 at 21:51, austeel said:

Hello Jack, 

Sent a PM., These cars hold many secrets, not sure the records were always accurate.

cheers, Allan

Email?