free hit
counters
Peoples’ reaction to your Evora - Page 12 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


Peoples’ reaction to your Evora


Frimley111R

Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

do you think that in isolation the evora looks fantastic but put it with some other cars and it somehow doesn`t looks so good? Only asking!!!!

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM

There was a picture on this forum of an S1 next to a Fezza 360 and it made the Fezza look ordinary.

Only have the phone so can't find it as avoiding the floods in the UK by sitting on a beach in the Canaries where it was 27c today and big blue skies ;)

 

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM
12 hours ago, C8RKH said:

There was a picture on this forum of an S1 next to a Fezza 360 and it made the Fezza look ordinary.

Only have the phone so can't find it as avoiding the floods in the UK by sitting on a beach in the Canaries where it was 27c today and big blue skies ;)

 

Andy, while we are sitting here in Scotland in a howling gale, did you really have to mention the fantastic weather you are having. Not in the least jealous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM

Hey, it's even a little breezy daan  sowf. :P

I got a "that's lovely that is" in halfords yesterday. We're a restrained lot down here, obviously. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, snoboardr said:

I agree. I've been to plenty of "supercar meets" and, possibly with exception of some of the bonkers hypercars you'll find at the Geneva Motor Show and the like, the Evora easily holds its own against anything else I've seen at any of these meets.

Here's an example - a video of a summer weekend trip up to Mallaig this year with a plethora of different marques and models. Dexter had easily the sexiest arse there - and the rest of him had no problem standing aside the Lambos, Ferraris, Maserati and lord knows what else...

 

Nice clip. I also think the smooth soft lines of the s1 will really stand the test of time from a look perspective whereas something like the GTR already looks dated to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM

I agree Stuno. For all that the GTR is a monolithic supercar, hugely capable, hugely fast, it is also though just HUGE in the flesh too. It looks big, slab sided and heavy and yes it has not aged well. The earlier Skyline has aged better in my opinion.

I know I am biased but I do feel the Evora S1 will age well, as will the current exige which in roadster form (no bolt on spolier) i really think looks fabulous, especially from the back.

Time will tell of course.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29 December 2015 at 23:42, C8RKH said:

Only have the phone so can't find it as avoiding the floods in the UK by sitting on a beach in the Canaries where it was 27c today and big blue skies ;)

 

Which part of the Canaries are you in Andy?  My drillship is alongside in Las Palmas on Gran Canaria and just to show the folks at home how hard it was working out here on Xmas day & Hogmanay I sent them a few photos to prove it.  They didn't seem to have much sympathy for the sun splitting the sky and the 29C heat. I don't understand :sofa:

Actually joking apart it has been great weather although just a bit too hot when working with all your PPE on as fully covered and you come in off the decks dripping in sweat.  A hard life but somebody has to do it.  (Just wish it hadn't been me since the 23rd December however!)

  • Like 1

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM

Was on Fuerteventura Al but back home now Al and it's friggin' freezin'!  

Already looking at booking a week around Nice in March for some heat and then Cuba later thus year for cigars and rum - ha, dosy wifey thinks we're going for cultural reasons!!!! ;)

 

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parked up at the Maserati dealer yesterday to test drive the GranTurismo (one of those cars that makes no sense on paper, but is such a revelation to drive) and within minutes my car was swarmed by Maserati staff and customers. Let the salesman sit inside it and he fell in love!

Made me wonder if I'll miss the Evora should I upgrade to a GT...

  • Like 1

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You most certainly will by the sounds of it!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally don't blame you. On paper the Maser looks like an overweight, slow, expensive barge of a car with an old design and ancient electronics.

I never intended on even shortlisting it... I just poked my head in as I was walking past and the next thing I know my licence is getting scanned while I admired how the lights played off the blue paint of the example in the showroom:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://puu.sh/mhEAp/60135fc3d6.jpg

Within 100 metres however, I felt that it was something special. I've driven a lot of expensive metal recently (2 McLarens, Porsche 911, BMW i8, F-Type R etc) and those cars are more or less what you expect them to be for their respective class/type of car. The Maserati however somehow feels like it transcends all "single class" cars and is such a complete package that it makes everything else feel almost primitive.

The best thing about the Evora is how it fits like a glove, whether on road or track. It gives you enough comfort and luxuries to enjoy on a daily basis, but also enough power/handling for satisfying those driving urges. After test-driving all the aforementioned cars, my wife and I were so happy to be back in the Lotus. With the Maserati though, we felt like we were leaving something behind, and that the Evora was trying very hard to be a complete package but did not quite manage to reach the levels of the GranTurismo. Cornering was not as effortless, acceleration was not as relentless, the ride was composed but not as compliant, and the sound was nowhere near as majestic.

Omg the sound. I've heard countless reviewers bang on about the F-Type R's soundtrack but to me the car just sounds excessive and not very nice, and also it doesn't shut up when you're just trying to commute. The Maserati's 4.7L V8 however sounds like the most glorious thunder when you're on it, but blissfully calm and quiet when you're not. I like the Evora because of the sense of occasion when driving at street-legal speeds... well the GranTurismo more than matches it.

And then you consider the superbly comfortable rear seats (a 6' passenger will be comfortable on a long trip behind a 6' driver) and a boot about twice as large as the Evora's.

The biggest lesson I've learned in all of these test drives is that my preconceptions of each car were totally off the mark. You really have to drive each car on the roads that you're familiar with and make your own decision for yourself rather than letting journalists decide things for you. The Evora is a great car, but after my second test drive of the GT yesterday (I had to confirm my feelings about it) both my wife and I are convinced that it is definitely an upgrade. The only question is whether it's worth spending the ~AU$200k required to do so :)

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

Link to comment
Share on other sites

'This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.'

:( 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't worry, I know all about heavy, beautiful GTs with a glorious V8 soundtrack - I used to own a V8 Vantage. 

Personally, my Evora satisfies much more of what I'm looking for in a car, particularly the way that it handles. A V8V is obviously no slouch but you feel that extra weight every time that you corner, brake and accelerate. Ultimately, in no way did I think that I was 'downgrading' when I bought the Evora. 

YMMV, of course. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the idea of the maser GT and there is no doubt the car is an epic sounding thing and the interior looks truly outstanding. For me it was not sporty enough amd so I didn't fancy one. Maybe if 4 up we all can't fit in an Evora / pork 911 this will be the way to go. I have large reservations about the auto gear changes though. The newest ones (way out of my price range) look amazing! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold FFM

Stu, I liked you. I really did. But since that last post where you contemplate a future Porker 911 purchase, well, you're dead to me now! Do you hear me, dead to me!   :popo:

;)

 

  • Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, chylld said:

Totally don't blame you. On paper the Maser looks like an overweight, slow, expensive barge of a car with an old design and ancient electronics.

I never intended on even shortlisting it... I just poked my head in as I was walking past and the next thing I know my licence is getting scanned while I admired how the lights played off the blue paint of the example in the showroom:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://puu.sh/mhEAp/60135fc3d6.jpg

Within 100 metres however, I felt that it was something special. I've driven a lot of expensive metal recently (2 McLarens, Porsche 911, BMW i8, F-Type R etc) and those cars are more or less what you expect them to be for their respective class/type of car. The Maserati however somehow feels like it transcends all "single class" cars and is such a complete package that it makes everything else feel almost primitive.

The best thing about the Evora is how it fits like a glove, whether on road or track. It gives you enough comfort and luxuries to enjoy on a daily basis, but also enough power/handling for satisfying those driving urges. After test-driving all the aforementioned cars, my wife and I were so happy to be back in the Lotus. With the Maserati though, we felt like we were leaving something behind, and that the Evora was trying very hard to be a complete package but did not quite manage to reach the levels of the GranTurismo. Cornering was not as effortless, acceleration was not as relentless, the ride was composed but not as compliant, and the sound was nowhere near as majestic.

Omg the sound. I've heard countless reviewers bang on about the F-Type R's soundtrack but to me the car just sounds excessive and not very nice, and also it doesn't shut up when you're just trying to commute. The Maserati's 4.7L V8 however sounds like the most glorious thunder when you're on it, but blissfully calm and quiet when you're not. I like the Evora because of the sense of occasion when driving at street-legal speeds... well the GranTurismo more than matches it.

And then you consider the superbly comfortable rear seats (a 6' passenger will be comfortable on a long trip behind a 6' driver) and a boot about twice as large as the Evora's.

The biggest lesson I've learned in all of these test drives is that my preconceptions of each car were totally off the mark. You really have to drive each car on the roads that you're familiar with and make your own decision for yourself rather than letting journalists decide things for you. The Evora is a great car, but after my second test drive of the GT yesterday (I had to confirm my feelings about it) both my wife and I are convinced that it is definitely an upgrade. The only question is whether it's worth spending the ~AU$200k required to do so :)

Did you manage to get the Maser GT on anything other than a smooth road? We test drove one and the suspension was so  hard that you couldn't have a conversation without developing a very bad stutter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Don't worry, I know all about heavy, beautiful GTs with a glorious V8 soundtrack - I used to own a V8 Vantage. 

Personally, my Evora satisfies much more of what I'm looking for in a car, particularly the way that it handles. A V8V is obviously no slouch but you feel that extra weight every time that you corner, brake and accelerate. Ultimately, in no way did I think that I was 'downgrading' when I bought the Evora. 

I look forward to testing a V8 Vantage... I was meant to have one for an extended test drive recently, but someone put a deposit on it so the dealer gave me a McLaren 12C for the weekend instead. On the subject of cornering, the Evora felt far heavier than the 12C in the bends, but I sort of like how you can feel it progressively load up. The handling limits of the 12C are far higher, but at the expense of comfort especially over potholes.

7 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

I like the idea of the maser GT and there is no doubt the car is an epic sounding thing and the interior looks truly outstanding. For me it was not sporty enough amd so I didn't fancy one. Maybe if 4 up we all can't fit in an Evora / pork 911 this will be the way to go. I have large reservations about the auto gear changes though. The newest ones (way out of my price range) look amazing! 

To be honest I didn't even like the idea of the GT (it made no sense on paper) but test-driving one in real life (and not in my mind) proved to be quite enlightening. It shattered all expectations I had for it, the opposite of the Porsche 991.1 911 Carrera S which was so disappointing in every single driving department. The GT can be had with either an automated manual and a normal slushbox; I drove the latter and it was fine. Paddle gear changes were faster than the McLaren 12C and it handled itself very well and very smoothly when left in full auto.

4 hours ago, Gm77 said:

Did you manage to get the Maser GT on anything other than a smooth road? We test drove one and the suspension was so  hard that you couldn't have a conversation without developing a very bad stutter.

Yes our roads down here are pretty shocking, potholes a few inches deep and a few feet long are not uncommon. I deliberately hit some with the GT and it handled it far better than either my Evora or BMW 4-series. There are quite a few variations of the GT (inconsistent naming doesn't help) but I drove the 2015 GranTurismo Sport Auto without the optional MC handling pack.

Edited by chylld

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

Link to comment
Share on other sites

heading for the Jan sales over the Christmas Hols....passing through some small towns which are popular with the tourists over the holiday period to nods...smiles...waves...thumbs up.....turned heads....and that's all ages and genders.....

still makes me smile too...... 

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...