free hit
counters
Value appreciation - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Value appreciation

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I've wanted an Elise since I was 16 and now at 37 I'm finally in a position to buy one. Didn't take long. Now I just need some advice. In particular, I've heard rumours that there may be slow appreciation on certain models of Lotus Elise. Has anyone found this to be true? And if so, what should I be looking out for? Not expecting miracle returns on investment or anything - would just like to know if good care and low mileage could help me see my way to owning a dream car whilst having something ready to sell on at a good value when I'm ready for a change.

Thank you!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi and welcome James. I've made money on both my S1 Elise's so their values are on the rise. Original, low mileage examples are the most sought after as are the special edition models such as the 111s, Sport 135 and Sport 160. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yup, ideally. As they are becoming collectors cars (don't let that stop you driving it!) since no more are being made the ones which are original fetch the best prices and are the most desired, same with all cars really. Elise's do tend to have a fair few engine swaps etc and unless someone is looking for that (a smaller segment of the market) then you'll have an easier time selling an unmolested car. 

There aren't many Lotus cars over 5 years old which aren't appreciating at the moment, they're all either holding their value or going up. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Simple numbers, Elise s1 went as low as 6k for a short period of time, 12k now is the entry for a car with a bunch of miles.

if well maintained and miles don’t go out of whack S1 will go up. They just started the s2 too early so did not produce as many s1 as they should have so value will be retained for sure.

Yep, Elise S1  is the first one on the list of 50... Most obvious buy now in that space.

Bought mine for 12.5k in 2004, worth definitely more now.

18 hours ago, PAR said:

Simple numbers, Elise s1 went as low as 6k for a short period of time, 12k now is the entry for a car with a bunch of miles.

They were even lower than that depending on the spec/condition/milage.

I bought a wvta sport160 in 2010 with 34k on the clock and I paid 6k for it... from a lotus dealer!!

To be fair, It wasn't pristine and I ended up spending 4k on a respray (someone had keyed down one side and osmosis had started on the door tops and engine cover),  new brakes and new ohlins dampers went on all round.

I've since put 10k on the clock and I'm sure I've made a pound for every mile I've driven in it... doesn't get any better does it?

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:32, TheKevlarKid said:

I bought a wvta sport160 in 2010 with 34k on the clock and I paid 6k for it... from a lotus dealer!!

Waow, this lotus dealer really was really despereate to make space??? Cant believe he would not keep the car and redo it himself keeping the workshop busy and making a stunning profit once in perfect condition.

Right time, right place...

It was deep in the recession, they'd taken it in as a p/x against an Audi estate car. Got a phone call that afternoon saying if I came up with the 6k they'd given him against it I could take it away. 

Best car I've ever bought and would be the last to go.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2018 at 09:32, TheKevlarKid said:

They were even lower than that depending on the spec/condition/milage.

To be fair, It wasn't pristine and I ended up spending 4k on a respray (someone had keyed down one side and osmosis had started on the door tops and engine cover),  new brakes and new ohlins dampers went on all round.

I've since put 10k on the clock and I'm sure I've made a pound for every mile I've driven in it... doesn't get any better does it?

This is the thing with them.. they're fun to own as well as drive. Would love to find a project like this one day👍🏼

I wouldn't be entirely put off by 'sensibly' modified cars if I were you. There are always a few 'speculators' out there who just want a factory spec item for their museum - but personally I dont think you should be allowed to buy a Lotus if you dont intend to drive it! And that sort of person is only going to come round with a microscope and expect to beat your price down if there is dust on the tyres!

By sensible modifications I mean things like an induction kit / fruitier exhaust, or say a change to Nitron dampers. The latter massively improve the car and are fitted to many latest top models by Lotus now so are definitely 'in keeping'. 

Also I would avoid 'micro mileage' cars too. I bought my 2001 with just 15k on the clock - having been hardly used for the last 9y. Big mistake - every single bit of rubber on it needed replacing, and the cylinder liners had dropped mainly due to it being started after long periods stood still. It needed a complete engine rebuild. Low mileage is good but make sure it has actually had some regular use too!