Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Newby query - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Newby query

Corblimysextus

Greetings all.

Just joined up (though have had an S1 Elise since 2000). Now live in Dubai and have fallen in love with a 400 (2016) with 6K on the clock. Does anyone know how they cope in the heat? Was 44 degrees and a sandstorm today so am interested to know if the AC is up to the task and whether any bits perish quickly. It will have to live outside at home but parked underground at work.

Also does anyone use a bike roof system that works reliably? This will be my daily driver and I would prefer to avoid borrowing my wife's car everytime I go to the bike track.

Many thanks in advance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes indeed. It does say Gulf spec. I have heard a few stories of some of the dashboard leather shrinking in the sunlight (in UK) but not sure if that is historical. The previous owner had it garaged and 3k a year - well, it will be getting that a month with me.

My Elise had 4k on it at 2 years when I bought it and after 500 miles the first weekend the clutch overheated and jammed in (cured by silicone spray) so I will expect some challenges. Have been suffering a Honda Accord hire car for the last 4 months so getting desperate!

• Gold FFM

Seasucker Talon for bike mounting.  Or depending on how tall you are (hence driver's seat position) and how big the bike frame is, you can fit a bike inside in the back.

Gulf spec I think had extra oil cooling too.

59c2546273f3b_Lotus110_1920x1080(1).thumb.jpg.992db83d85fed7c7db34b9225d49024e.jpg

IMG_7088.thumb.JPG.21c656e09aacbb5b66ba807e215d442b.JPG

Many thanks. I am a shorty (1.70) but wanted to put the bike on the roof. 

Am hoping being this short means my daughters (14 and 11) can fit in behind me. It won’t matter if they can’t as they’ll have to manage for the school run!

Im based in Dubai since '99 & have  '14 Evora S + '98 Elise, both here. 

Have owned 10+ Lotus' whilst here, Elises Exiges, 2-Eleven, Cups ...EU / Federal / GGC spec, so many of the Lotus' built during the past 2 decades.

During the majority of my time here, theres been no Lotus dealer in the UAE, nor is there currently, so thats one consideration. 

Unlike the S2's Gulf spec, on Evoras spec changes aren't as involved, as the car was designed to be a global offer from day one, so items like the AC isn't unique to this region.  Correct, the dash airbag cover doesn't  like the heat / UV here, so best to park with a sun shade in the windscreen or under cover. I have one from Sector 111 that covers the whole curved glass area.

My children (14 + 12) can fit in the car for school runs, we treat it as a 3 seater 🙂

HTHs

Edited by Cain-it

Very useful info. Where do you go for servicing when no dealer is here? Is there a decent independent for the non -Toyota parts?

I’ve only been here 6 months (4 years in Doha where there was a dealer) so will have to form a group here once i’ve succumbed to the inevitable!

I've always looked after my own cars. So unless its things like suspension alignment or ECU related, I've not needed a commercial workshop.

The previous dealer (Al Futtaim) is still servicing Lotus cars for the time being in other to support customers until Lotus ME (Al Jaber Abu Dhabi) get a new dealer started.  

If the car you're looking at is a 2016 Evora 400, it should have been supplied by Al Futtaim, as they were the UAE dealer. So you could check its service / warranty status with their workshop (Lyndon D Sylvia Lyndon.Dsilva@alfuttaim.com).

Is it the red, automatic one currently being advertised locally ?

Oh, there was an auto grey coloured with red interior Evora 400 floating about the UAE. Import from Qatar.

Be aware that both Lotus ME & Al Futtaim weren't willing to get involved with it due to its -VE history  

Hi. Yes the red one. Thanks for the heads up - most useful. It does say it has the dealer warranty still so I assume Al Futtaim are honouring it. 

Abu Dhabi will be fine for maintenance too. I was used to driving from Carlisle to Newcastle with the Elise! Also live in the south of Dubai so only an hour away. 

I wouldn't assume anything regards to official UAE supply / warranty / recall status / service history unless Al Futtaim or Lotus ME confirm. To be safe you could always get a PPI done. If needed, I have the Lotus ME After sales Manager contact details too, but start with Lyndon.    

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And the AirCon and cooling systems in general are doing the job, right?  We don't get as hot here as you do, typically in the 36-37 degree range getting to 40 on the very hottest days. It's cooler in shade but we have levels of humidity you'll never see in a desert climate.  The AC on my car has been exemplary.  I was concerned about that but it's turned out to be a non-issue and puts to bed prior concerns generated over the years. My car has proven to be a comfortable vehicle in our extreme mix of heat coupled with humidity.  

'17 Evora 400 MT 

• 2 weeks later...