free hit
counters
McLaren 540C - vs - Evora 410 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Spinney

McLaren 540C - vs - Evora 410

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the review - a very interesting read - and a great end choice! 🙂👍

Thanks for the write up. Did you try a GT430 Sport while you were at it?

I didn't. Jamie did kindly offer, but I was running out of time so just went for the 410

Can't argue with your findings there Spinney, sounded like a good day out too :-) With some adjustment, the standard carbon seats can be made much more comfortable.

Trevor.

I think the seats would need an awful lot of adjustment to be anywhere near comfortable for me. Maybe I'm just an odd shape but even after 30 minutes driving, I was in a lot of discomfort. The Sparcos I tried later were much better for me though.

Congratulations 👍

I managed to read all the way through without jumping to the end so a nice surprise! I could see there was a result at the bottom and it was hard to resist! 

For whatever reason some people do suffer with the std seats, what seats are in your Exige?

Trevor.

Hi @Spinney many thanks for your write-up above, i really enjoyed it and did realise there was a decision at the end till i got there - and nice to see you thought the Lotus good enough.

The seats seem to be an odd one. I really am no lightweight so you could argue an awkward shape and I certainly do fill out those carbon seats fully lol.  However, I find them really comfortable about from the sticky up bit digs into the top of my leg/thigh - but losing an inch there will alleviate that and the Chapman "add lightness" diet has started.  Other than that the seats (base and back support) are absolutely fine for me though i do need to tilt the front back to get better under thigh support.

Mind, I find the seats in the standard VX220 really comfortable too. Maybe I just like being on a rack - note to self, need to find an S&M parlour to see if it is the pain I like!

I have to agree re the build quality of the 410 (and I guess the 400 but have not been in one so cannot really comment) and it is all a rather nice and quiet place to be inside the cabin.  Another interesting difference - I like the blacked out side windows, it just makes the cabin feel more snug and "private" to me. It's my space is how it feels.

I can't believe that the Evora is being compared so favourably to the McLaren.  Spec for spec the McLaren will be around £135k versus the 410's £95 so that is a not inconsiderable £35-40k saving BEFORE you think about running costs. So even after say 3 years, 30k miles and depreciation the 410 looks the "sensible" buy in my mind.

Anyway, thanks again for a well written, informative, comparison based on your experience. Whatever you buy, and i am sure the McLaren is still twinkling in the back of your mind, I hope you enjoy it. 

I think it would be a little more fair to compare the GT430 Sport to the McLaren but of course you don't have experience of that unfortunately. Fitted with the carbon Sparcos and Ohlins I think would be more in line with a fair fight. The best thing sbout the std carbon seats are they're wonderfully rigid on track.

Trevor.

McLaren’s steering is hydraulic, but powered electrically

No one can argue the McLaren isn’t a beautiful piece of British engineering. 

Slightly embarrassing re the 540 on their part!

good read and by all accounts the 570 is a much better car than 540 so the evora fought its corner well

enjoy the 410 when it arrives!

24 minutes ago, SFO said:

McLaren’s steering is hydraulic, but powered electrically

I must admit, I did think the McLaren has hydraulic PAS but the sales fella assured me it was electric. Either way, it was beautifully weighted at all speeds. 

As for comparing the 410 with a McLaren, I will admit to having specs tinted by green with a central yellow stripe but even allowing for that, the Lotus acquitted itself extremely well in all the important areas when you consider the price difference.

Undoubtedly the McLaren gives you a lot for the additional money, but I found myself wondering if I actually needed all those extra features. A switch that raises the nose by 38mm when encountering speed bumps, for example, is all very nice but I've always found with my sports cars that just being careful with your approach to such hazards, usually does the job perfectly well. Again, the McLaren has it cracked with the in car entertainment and media system, but I can always change the head unit in the Lotus if I found that necessary. Even in my Exige, I changed the head unit for a decent flip out screen with sat nav combined and that works very well.

Yes, there are a few things I'd want different in the Lotus but not badly enough to spend an additional £30-40k. Where the Lotus is good, it is very good and, dare I say, seems to have a bit more character about it. Normal perceived wisdom would, I suppose, think me mad for choosing the Lotus but, hey, maybe such folk don't know what we know! 😉

• Like 2

A little issue is also tracking the Mcl. They don't have any problem with that but do officially ask you to have a pre and post track check which is charged at £450 each when I asked..

Trevor.

Yep, I asked yesterday and was told the same although that is only to maintain the warranty, so after 3 years, away you go! To be honest, that charge is rather eye watering and was a factor in making up my mind. Despite only tracking my car a couple of times a year, it would certainly make me think twice about doing so - and then probably drop the idea altogether! :) When you factor in that charge on top of the cost of the track day itself, you'd need to think very carefully about whether it was worth doing.

Good write up and a good choice in the end.☺️

In fairness I've never heard of anyone actually having the checks done and all those I know, don't. Also if youve had a fairly recent sevice, that counts as a pre track check so straight away you half the cost. I'ts fair to say you copuld have a service and do a couple of track days then have a post track check and for many that would be enough for the year. Great cars but for me lack the dynamics of the Lotus.

Spinney, you never said which seats you have in your Exige? I'd expect them to be the same as the 410?

Trevor.

Many thanks for the write-up & very interesting to hear your views both ways. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Evora 410 🙂

After X 6 Exige S' & Cup (S2's) I too decided to buy an Evora.... Macca wasn't in my budget.  

Compared to the Exige, I think the Evora is a 'grower' - the more time you spend driving it, the more you appreciate it

Look forward to to seeing pics of the 410 arrival. 

4 hours ago, Spinney said:

I must admit, I did think the McLaren has hydraulic PAS but the sales fella assured me it was electric. Either way, it was beautifully weighted at all speeds. 

I had a 540C for a day .. the steering was the standout feature for me. If only the engine/exhaust sounds had more character 

I've only very very brief experience of a 570S and I must concur with @SFO - steering is the highlight. Engine is the low point. I drove one with a titanium MSO exhaust (£7k!), still sounded a little dull even in a tunnel - certainly compared to the Evora.

Worth point out @C8RKH those little blacked out back windows you like - I think they've stopped doing them! I saw a GT430 sold recently which had the rear glass in it. Good to see Lotus maintaining their usual level of spec consistency!

Also worth pointing out a new McLaren - given the 540c is no more - you're looking at a realistic £40-50k over even a generously specced GT430. The real advantage of the Macca for me would be the fact the roof can come down!

They were changed based on customer feedback that the rear 3/4 view was very compromised making it hard to pull out of oblique junctions I believe.

The rear 3/4 view was compromised on the Evora about 11 years ago.... it is never going to be good.

I prefer the glass because it looks better outside and in, but I'd be lying if I said I've ever spotted anything through it.