free hit
counters
1975 Lotus Elite renovation - Page 2 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
steve clack

1975 Lotus Elite renovation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated, ordered a new battery so next job timing belt and see what we have.  Where is the dictaphone?

51 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Original colour? EBay Ad details a unique (Non?) Lotus colour? :P

moron.thumb.jpg.81e1d57d58d6f0aa381070e790a0061e.jpg

To be fair there is not much of the Moron left.

A dictaphone is a microphone that plugs into the back of the tape player (which has a recording head) to allow the 1970's exec to dictate memo's for his secretary to type up later ...

Standard equipment on the upper end Elite

Good to see you have a pool. A good dunking would be in order... Keep the seventies spirit alive! It looks surprisingly complete and a good basis for a full restoration. Goodness knows it needs it!

As Dunc says these are not complicated cars. Take lots of photos as you take it apart and before you start. They come in surprisingly useful when it all goes back together again and I would guess that if you brought it you have a degree of mechanical confidence to get it done. 

From experience there is the initial enthusiasm at the start and at the e me when you can see the fruit of all your hard work taking shape. The bit in the middle can be a bit of a slot but you will get plenty of moral support here. 

Well done.

Colour code L011 on chassis plate Regency Red, happy with this.  Looks great on an E type so will look great on a Lotus.

pop some diesel around the spark plugs and leave it for a few days to try and penetrate before attempting to remove the plugs. 32 years is a long time and spark plugs can almost weld themselves into the head with corrosion over the years when left untouched.

Once they are out, I'd also squirt a fair bit of redex and medium/light oil into the spark plug holes and leave it to pool on the top of the pistons for a few days before you try and turn the engine with a spanner on the crank pulley.

have fun 🙂

15 hours ago, steve clack said:

Colour code L011 on chassis plate Regency Red, happy with this.  Looks great on an E type so will look great on a Lotus.

Looks good on this Elite.  No idea who the owner is/was.

Lotus_Elite_Regency-Red.jpg

• Like 1

its got headlight washers.....:shock:

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

6 minutes ago, theelanman said:

its got headlight washers.....:shock:

Gareth, they are evidently dual purpose...

Lights at night, long distance windscreen during the day :P

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 18:05, Barrykearley said:

Hats off - you are one brave man

Heads-up, Barry. There's a couple of Spitfires in the background needing your attention.

Margate Exotics.

Seen them already - I’ve got enough “project” cars on the go apparently 

Only here once

On 22 May 2018 at 09:25, Dunc said:

pop some diesel around the spark plugs and leave it for a few days to try and penetrate before attempting to remove the plugs. 32 years is a long time and spark plugs can almost weld themselves into the head with corrosion over the years when left untouched.

Once they are out, I'd also squirt a fair bit of redex and medium/light oil into the spark plug holes and leave it to pool on the top of the pistons for a few days before you try and turn the engine with a spanner on the crank pulley.

have fun 🙂

Thanks for the advice. Spark plugs came out easily and I have put some Redex and light oil down the plug holes, I wait and see!

• Like 2

Hello everyone, in the throws of removing the engine today! Does anyone know if the gear lever needs to be removed and if so how? The gear box sits on the chassis so I cannot see how it comes out without taking out the gear lever. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

First put the car into 2nd or 4th gear. remove the tunnel cover and you will see a plate with 4 or 5 self tapping screws. Remove those and you will see a big locking ring/nut holding the gear lever in place. Unscrew and remove gear lever. Dont forget to put it into gear first though.

Thank you John you are a star. Do you know how to undo the clutch cable from the servo! I have undone the clutch cable from the clutch at the bottom, but cannot get the cable out, any suggestions.

1 hour ago, steve clack said:

Thank you John you are a star. Do you know how to undo the clutch cable from the servo! I have undone the clutch cable from the clutch at the bottom, but cannot get the cable out, any suggestions.

Steve - I'm a little confused? The clutch on these cars is cable from the pedal to the clutch fork on the gearbox. If you have undone the cable from the fork, then the cable can remain on the body I think, without further bother. The engine and gearbox should then be free to come out (lol, if only it were that simple...)

As John says, ensure the gearbox is in gear before removing the lever or you will need to have the box apart!

Cheers

Ant

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Hello Ant, the clutch wire has been released from the clutch fork, then the wire and shroud goes into the car just above the brake servo, I cannot work out how to get the connector off. Otherwise the wire and it's shroud is still connected to the engine.

From memory the end of the clutch cable pushes into a hole in the gearbox bellhousing and is not attached as such to the engine or gearbox. It should be possible just to pull the cable free.

Engine finally out ready for soda blasting in the next few days! Those of you that have done the engine out job, you will know how high the engine has to go up to get out. Had to push the car back a few feet, while the engine was in mid air! Just as well I was on my own lots of ***** words.

Body off next! Has anyone put the body back on over the engine and chassis. I think that maybe this might be the way to go, when the body is sprayed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I purchased a load leveler to get my engine out. It makes it far more controllable as the engine can come out at a high angle and then be flattened off to get it over the front of the body. They are surprisingly cheap to buy... You could even buy mine!

Unless you have a four post lift I would put the engine in after since moving everything around as the body and chassis/engine come together will be hard a visibility will be limited.

2 hours ago, steve clack said:

Engine finally out ready for soda blasting in the next few days! Those of you that have done the engine out job, you will know how high the engine has to go up to get out. Had to push the car back a few feet, while the engine was in mid air! Just as well I was on my own lots of ***** words.

Body off next! Has anyone put the body back on over the engine and chassis. I think that maybe this might be the way to go, when the body is sprayed.

image.jpeg

Hi Steve, I put the body over the completed chassis with the engine installed, it needs 4 people and the wheels need to be off. You have lift and hook it over the engine  keeping the back high. There is a video on you tube ' project M50' it shows them do it in the factory but they make it look slightly easier than it is...