free hit
counters
TLF Trackday? - Page 4 - Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

TLF Trackday?

auRouge

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Glad it’s not just me that can see it.

• Like 1

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Believe what you want. I have never been told off for overtaking on the right even at LoT because I always respect the rules of the day, way better than most in my experience. You have made some pretty big assumptions based on a post which dared to criticise LoT. Seriously OTT to be posting all this stuff about me endangering other people!

Maybe ask anyone who’s been on a trackday with me first? Just a thought. Same goes for all this reactionary stuff about test days can we seriously get a grip?

LoT does favour novices in my experience, that’s fine, nothing wrong in that at all. As an example they take a very dim view of overtaking on the right under any circumstances. As someone that follows the rules of the day that can be frustrating because there are people that just will not let you past but I don’t see anyone having a word with them. So it favours novices, that’s all good and that’s the deal. If it’s OK with everyone that’s not for me and I don’t like the approach that assumes everyone is a dangerous hooligan. A bit like here tonight!

There are actually very few novices at LoT these days. Its an old boys and girls network with the same faces that turn up at the days again and again. Its very rare and i haven't see it for a long time that anyone puts their hand up at the briefing when 1st day or 1st time at this track is asked. 

I just think you've got it all wrong. I'm happy to stop replying now,  because we have to agree this in every thread in which we have an interaction. 

• Like 1

I dunno about driving, but I saw you lapping without yout helmet properly secured once... 😂

Lets just all do the Spa LoT day after the 24 hour race in July. I’m booked. Always epic. 

Re insurance: Some of us have it as part of our road insurance. For one I’d only do days that cover it simply because I pay a premium to have it. But agreed, really should not be necessary on a track day and I hope to never need it. 

I think certain LoT days are very novice orientated which is good. For me, I tend to stick to thier EU GP Days, some very talented drivers on those and without exception I’ve found them fantastic in recent years. But I can only speak for my own experiences. Some speak highly of Javlin and MSV, I won’t based on my experience. 

Also these days remember the track day is actually run by the circuit, not the TDO. All they do is act on what the Marshals/Circuit report. Donny days have gone downhill in my opinion recently and it’s nothing to do with the TDO. Darn motorway cones on the exit of Redgate.... come on!

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

• Gold FFM

I’m starting to be tempted with a LoT day the more it’s talked about now.  Shame it’s the missus birthday this weekend

Only here once

45 minutes ago, JG220 said:

There is one thing which is absolutely consistent in every thread that descends into chaos on this board.

I don't need to say what it is. 

Is it me? Please let it be me!  🤔

:lol: Nope, not you. Sorry, you can’t have that badge.

• Sad 1

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

• Gold FFM
7 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

Is it me? Please let it be me!  🤔

Wasn't you. It was the Porsche...😈

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

LoT clearly has some loyal supporters. Looks like this thread has been good for business so they shouldn’t feel too aggrieved that some crazed maniac doesn’t want to go on their days.

I was hoping to keep the idea of a private TLF day alive, rather than another LoT day as I think we could have done something better but regretfully killed it in the process. Apologies to @auRouge, not my intention.

I’ll promise not to attend if that helps? Looks like you’ll have a job keeping everyone happy though. Best of luck!

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Track Day Co's - whether or not the decision is taken to go with a Track Day Company, ANY Track Day company, is fine.

You won't be able to organise one without one, simple as that. No circuit would entertain you if you don't have the relevant insurance/registarion/tdo accreditation in place.

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, JG220 said:

There are actually very few novices at LoT these days. Its an old boys and girls network with the same faces that turn up at the days again and again. Its very rare and i haven't see it for a long time that anyone puts their hand up at the briefing when 1st day or 1st time at this track is asked. 

I just think you've got it all wrong. I'm happy to stop replying now,  because we have to agree this in every thread in which we have an interaction. 

Just to say James, at Blyton 2/3 weeks ago around 12 of the 40 odd people there had put their hands up as newbies.  We had one red flag all day and I can assure you that the Exige 360 CUP (White red wheels), an Exige S (I think) and a 350-400bhp red VX where driving around at warp speed and chasing each other really really hard.

However, the V8 MGB was also a delight to see on track and it was being pedalled bloody fast too....

Anyway, apologies, back to the TLF track day.  I'd love to attend if we can do it and it isn't in Northern France as suggested!  lol......

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I've been on a LoT day and been overtaken by a group C race car (going twice as fast as I was with a 40ft rooster tail coming off the back of it because it was pissing it down with rain). What a sight that was!!

In all the years of doing LoT t/d's and racing with LoTRDC I've never seen speed punished, only stupidity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Just to say James, at Blyton 2/3 weeks ago around 12 of the 40 odd people there had put their hands up as newbies. 

Blyton, like Bedford is usually considered a newbie Circuit. I did my first ever track day at Blyton with LoT because it was advertised as such. Unless I was local, it’s not a Circuit I’d now hurry to now though, but I suspect would be a good option for a standalone day for TLF. Anglesey and other privately owned tracks would probably most likely at reasonable prices. 

Silverstone may be with approaching, one of the smaller layouts would be more reasonable and as they are a TDO in their own right could actually run it. I’ve done a couple of their days and they are very good.

I’d be up for it most likely. 

I believe cirsuits start planning days for the following year around September time once the race series have all had their pick based on priority of the event.

• Like 1

I fear it's too late this year to organise anything in the summer months. It'll either have to be later or next year now. 

If you want to fill it with TLFer's, I'd suggest somewhere middle to everyone so the peeps way up north can attend without having a thousand+ mile journey there and back again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I think a lot of stuff here is, or has, gotten blown out of all proportion and hopefully we can get the TLF Track Day off the ground. I do think it would be a superb event and EVERYONE would enjoy it, especially with some sort of a BBQ/social afterwards even just for an our or two.  It was nice at Blyton Park the other week when 5 or 6 of the track dayers, whom I had never met before that day, joined me in the local pub for dinner. I really appreciated that and enjoyed getting to know everyone..

Driving standards - it is pretty clear that everyone (and re-reading the thread, i do mean everyone) agrees they are necessary and that on the TLF Track Day they will be clearly articulated and enforced. As long as we know what they are and we all play by the rules should be a good day.

TLF cars - would be great to see a big mix of owners Loti and in this I also include the bastard children like the VX220 - it was after all built in Hethel and not just a silly silly "badged" exercise

Location - like I've said, it seems to be that the preferred locations are way way down Sarf.  If that is the case then fair enough, however, it would be nice if it could be more central to give everyone the chance to attend.

Track Day Co's - whether or not the decision is taken to go with a Track Day Company, ANY Track Day company, is fine. There are merits of going with one (organisation, experience, hired help, insurance easier etc.) and downsides too (date restrictions - they already have a full schedule so getting fitted in, insurability, someone has to take on the organisation, collecting the money, tracking everything, communications, etc.)  So rather than discount the idea it needs to be thought through and options appraised etc.  Then a decision can be made.

It's a new week. It's a beautiful sunny morning. let's get some peace and love back on to TLF, start the week afresh, and any angst we have have left direct at the dentists and accountants in their Porkers and the sales sharks in their Audi Slines..........     lol....................

This echos everything I'd be saying. Thank you all for your input.

With over 1200 views and 4 pages there's clearly a desire to do this. Quite enjoyed catching up this morning. All comments are welcome. 

You've got experience (organised events before) and can help us make a good decision in terms of location / time of year etc. It's not going to be perfect for everyone but the aim is to take everyone's experience / opinion into account.. if a more central location is better for the majority then we'll do it that way. Time of year and the weather will have an influence on this. 

This is going to happen (with a beer in a pub carpark after!) 😉

• Like 2

Blyton does suit but for the more advanced drivers it's not going to excite them as it would a noob.

I'd look at Croft myself. It's a privately owned circuit, they run loud days (105) and will let certain things 'fly'. It's in the middle of the country for everyone to get to and it's a track that has something for every skill level. It has a great mix of slow, medium and fast corners that are all very technical. Theyre challenging for the advanced driver to hit every lap and rewarding for the newbie when they get it right... everyone will come away enjoying the track driving, new and old alike. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheKevlarKid said:

I fear it's too late this year to organise anything in the summer months. It'll either have to be later or next year now. 

You're probably right. Noted. If it's going to be a proper TLF event we need to allow everyone the opportunity to be available.

I don't want to rush this. This Forum is one of the best and the event needs to live up to that 👍🏼

Maybe less forum posting and more emailing to potential TDO or circuits is necessary to understand what is possible.

This iniatitive needs an owner who can take a lead in communications and planning of such an event.

Who has the time to be the ‘group’ owner and scout what’s possible?

Otherwise this is pages on pages of a game of TDO fantasy manager with no real output.

Personally for me I just don’t have the time and if this is something for 2019 for those desperate to do a meet I suggest just organise an LoT thread and get yourselfs together on something already planned for summer.

Unless obviously you have one of the ‘newer’ lotuses that aren’t track noise friendly in which case blame Lotus!

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

51 minutes ago, auRouge said:

if a more central location is better for the majority then we'll do it that way.

Could I suggest Donny Park then, please?

A great, great track and you can’t really get more central, being in the Midlands and all. 

• Like 1

38 spaces on October 29th (Monday) with LoT

Donington National
Length: 1.9 miles
Noise limit: 98db driveby at trackside*
Format: Open Pit Lane
Price: £160 rising to £199 on 1/4
Instruction: £25
Crash Helmets: £20
2nd Drivers (over 21): First 10 bookings FREE then £30, 3rd drivers – £50
Passengers (over 18): FREE if booked by 1/9/2018 then £5

When I ran standard exhaust on my 400 @ Zandvoort, it was 98dB on driveby @ 20m. So it could be done. There is no static test at Donington, so the 110dB static of the 4X0 cars doesn't matter.

• Like 1

I was at Donny on Friday, blew the drive by in a Caterham 620r. They black flagged and "worked with me" to avoid it happening again (it was my first hot lap in it). It recorded 99db, but you have to be proper on it at a particular spot to hit it - the car in question had been driven there on many occasions and it was the first time it had triggered it.

Interesting about Zandy, I popped the drive by in my LF1 with the original exhaust there.