free hit
counters
1990 Cam Belt Change - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1990 Cam Belt Change

Hi I am a new member , got a Excel last year sold it after a couple of months then regretted it so now have got another one but has been off the road for a while

put back on before I bought it . It has 6 months on the MOT but very little history , all the past MOT's show only 53k miles as dose the car clock .My question is the cam belt

was changed 19.5k ago , and I want to replace said belt plus the other 2 should I replace the cam shaft seals and the tensioner . Can anyone give me a full diagram of

the tensioner and tell me what parts I should change.

Many Thanks .

Ian.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Ian.

Welcome to the forum.

Definitely change the cambelt. The age is the important factor not the mileage - no more than 3 years old.

When I bought my Excel, the belt was replaced around 3k previously, but that was 15 years earlier. Join LotusExcel.net and you can get access to the parts manual - you may have to get someone on here to e-mail your details though as joining there can be a mysterious process.

As you may have read elsewhere on the forum, we really like pictures here. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

What was the Excel you sold last year? It maybe owned by someone here.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Cam shaft seals are not usually (if ever) replaced.

The tensioner bearing (if you have a later version - I don't know about the earlier self-adjusting tensioner) is usually replaced at the same time.

Tony

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2018 at 14:51, 1990 Red Excel said:

Hi I am a new member , got a Excel last year sold it after a couple of months then regretted it so now have got another one but has been off the road for a while

put back on before I bought it . It has 6 months on the MOT but very little history , all the past MOT's show only 53k miles as dose the car clock .My question is the cam belt

was changed 19.5k ago , and I want to replace said belt plus the other 2 should I replace the cam shaft seals and the tensioner . Can anyone give me a full diagram of

the tensioner and tell me what parts I should change.

Many Thanks .

Ian.

22 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Hi Ian.

Welcome to the forum.

Definitely change the cambelt. The age is the important factor not the mileage - no more than 3 years old.

When I bought my Excel, the belt was replaced around 3k previously, but that was 15 years earlier. Join LotusExcel.net and you can get access to the parts manual - you may have to get someone on here to e-mail your details though as joining there can be a mysterious process.

As you may have read elsewhere on the forum, we really like pictures here. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

What was the Excel you sold last year? It maybe owned by someone here.

Chris

Hi Chris

I got my 1990 (G) (G947FTW) Red Excel SE with cream leather interior about 2 weeks ago to replace the one I sold in November of which I regretted. That too was a 1990 (G) Red with cream leather interior (G134ONJ) the only difference being that the new one (G947FTW) has only done 53,100 miles and the old one had done 96,000 miles.

I know the mileage on the new one is low because I have all the past MOTs but no old service history. This is why I intend to replace the Camb Belt and Tensioner Bearing and give it a full engine fluid and ignition service.

I have uploaded 2 photos of my new  Excel and 2 photos of my old one into my profile section on the website. I am going to contact Lotusexcel.net to get a full parts list to help me do other service bits as and when required  and hope when I need help I can ask for it on this forum as well as I am not that familiar with Lotus cars.

Ian

22 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

• Like 1