free hit
counters
Leaky air valve on wheel - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Leaky air valve on wheel

Had a set of new tyres fitted and now have a slow leak from around one of the air valves :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r5ngsq6e1i4xnf/Video 21-05-2018%2C 18 38 54.mov?raw=1

Is this going to be a difficult fix, and is it worth putting a torque wrench on the valve nut to make sure it's good and tight?

Edited by trcm
Linky

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Unfortunately tightening can make it worse. You can try loosening it and then rejigging it before tightening it again to about 5nm. Essentially the reason it's leaking is the TPMS sensor isn't set correctly on the rim so you may need a tyre fitter to drop the bead and resit the sensor. 

Assuming this is the valve/sensor type.... 

IMG_20180521_201918.thumb.jpg.6a013b9a0b7fa0fdcae365306a79baaf.jpg

It'll be the black seal that is compromised, so could be crushed to point of leaking. That's why going tighter may not be the solution. 

If you have the Evora 400 type TPMS then they have a separate valve and sensor which have a pivot point between the two elements that needs to be able to move to enable it to seal on the rim. Again if that is over tightened the seal and the pivot point are then compromised.

• Thanks 1

Had this on both my Evoras.  Solution, tyre off, remove valve, clean valve seat etc of corrosion, apply a tiny bit of tyre fitting paste, re-fit tyre - job sorted.  My local tyre fitter does this FOC for me.

On 21/05/2018 at 19:22, 21gg said:

I've had it before, yes tightening the nut can help sometimes.

On 21/05/2018 at 19:36, CocoPops said:

Mine has been ok since the initial extra torque I put on them. Just brush soapy water around the valve and tightening very gently until the bubbles stopped worked for me. Now been 2 years since it leaked but, to be fair, I don’t do many miles on the 18/19 forged wheels

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:17, trcm said:

@blueg33I wish I had a nice local tyre fitter, or even a local dealer for that matter!

Incidentally, if you ever want to swap your lovely Daytona Blue IPS for a nice Manual one, let me know ;)

Noted :)   It was the Daytona blue that made me rush to buy it.

• 4 weeks later...

I had two new tyres on the back from Lotus Silverstone last year.  They charged me a small amount for a tyre fitting kit, or something like that.  When I enquired they told me that sometimes the valves can have a slow leak after the tyres are changed so now they automatically replace the seal that the valve sits in. (Non technical explanation).  I have just picked up a nail in one of my fronts which is too close to the edge to plug and a vv slow leak.   I have ordered 2 new front tyres to be fitted by my local tyre place and informed them about the seals.  They had not heard of this but thought it would be ok doing what they normally do.  Time will tell.