free hit
counters
Battery life when not in use - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi guys, I hope this is in the right section first of all.

The mrs got me thinking about the Lotus' battery life. My company car (GT86) dies if I don't use it for more than 2-3 weeks and it pisses me off. Yet my 370z can be left for 4 weeks and have a weaker start but still be fine!

The reason I ask is cause I tend to do about 350 miles a month, but only over the course of a weekend when I travel from Bournemouth to Plymouth and back to see the mrs. So how would the battery cope with being left for 3 weeks at a time? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would last over the winter unless the battery is brand new - I always stuck mine on a trickle charger, even when I was only leaving it for a week!

Ah it is as I feared, that sucks! I don't want to let it die almost completely, then recharge it, then let it die and recharge before use ( rinse and repeat cycle ) as I feel this would be bad for it, due to going so low in charge. 

I currently just use a halfords normal battery charger that charges it from basically flat to full over the course of a day - but will obviously invest in proper kit as its a care I care about, unlike the toyota! ( Don't get me started on that.... )

My main issue is where I park, it's basically open to the elements. I can park closer to my house, but then all the dirt from the roof blows onto the car and within a day its covered in grit etc and birds like to empty below...so not an option. Can I just run an extension lead out the garage and leave this runnning 24/7 in a secure but weather proof way? sorry new to this all! 

Edited by RoflOnMyWaffle

Just disconnect the battery and lock the car using the key. It means the alarm won’t work, but I don’t think many people would be able to start the car without the battery connected anyway. 

I left mine like this for a month earlier this year as I was waiting for parts to arrive, and it started first time perfectly after.

I forgot to reply, must've deleted the email thinking I'll reply now, but never did hahaha

I think I'll just disconnect the battery hahaha good idea, bit of a pain, but easily fixed