free hit
counters
Esprit Indicators help!!!!!!!!!!! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Ginger pig

Esprit Indicators help!!!!!!!!!!!

All,

Really hoping for some assistance here.

I hope someone can help.

Please look at the below two pictures:

The first is of the LH indicator light; the larger bulb flashes normally when I turn it on (I imagine that this is the correct configuration). If I swap the smaller bulb and larger bulb around; the smaller one flashes on the indicator but then flashes very quickly (so it would seem obvious that the configuration should be large one on the outside).

On the second picture; the large bulb is also on the outside but only the smaller bulb flashes when I turn on the LH indicator. When I swap the two bulbs around (smaller on the outside and larger in the inside) the smaller one is still illuminating but now in the orange indicator lense (so it is almost like the power is following the bulb and not the wiring………)

RH seems to work logically but LH seems to have this strange anomaly; which will prevent me from getting an MOT……. Help????????

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of this???

Cheers

Mark

LH Indicator.jpg

RH Indicator.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The Indicator should be the larger (21w) bulb, but don't assume that the one that's flashing in each case is the indicator. I think you'll find that you have a problem with the earth. It's not getting a decent earth on the unit, so the current goes live wire to indicator, to the common (what should be earthed) then to the other bulb and out of it's live connection (the side light) and finally leaks to earth via all the other lamps in that circuit (both rear lamps, number plate etc).

The check, is temporarily run a wire from a known good earth point, to the metalwork of the offending indicator. If it then starts to behave as it should, you have confirmation. The fault may well be a rusty bolt if that's how those type get earth.

• Like 2

Always assume the earth is faulty on pretty much any car. A composite one it is far more likely to be the issue. A jump lead is all you need to solve this issue - tag it onto the battery

• Love 1

Only here once

Cool!

on a side note the hazard lights work fine on both sides which through me!

cheers

Mark

The small bulb has a higher resistance to give 5W instead of 21W, this can (will) cause the flashing at a higher frequency. Just like when an indicator bulb is blown.

If only the small bulb flashes, regardless of the position in the bulb holder, this does point to an earthing problem.

What I can't understand, is how the hazards can work correctly at the same time. Both circuits use the same wiring, the only difference being the indicator stalk.

For reference, indicators should be a green-red wire (LH) and green-white (RH), both changing to green-purple inside the lamp assembly. Side lights are red-black (LH) and red-orange (RH), bot changing to red at the lamp assembly.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Thanks Filip,

maybe I need to swap the indicator stalk over; to establish it isn’t that first.

i have had a look at the stalk; but it looks pretty good and simple enough for it to be difficult for it to break..... is it a common issue on these I wonder?????

cheers

Mark

Clean all the connections in that light housing first 

Only here once

Barry,

Will be on the case first thing tomorrow morning!

I am ruing the fact that when I put the housings back in; I did it with a nut and bolt, not the standard fitting..... the whole bumper needs to come back off to get to the back of the light fitting!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I can be a dick!!!!!!!

Cheers

Mark

• Haha 1

So; finally managed to source an indicator stalk.

Same issues with new stalk.

put an earth on the base of the indicator light and it works.

Funny how the hazard lights work fine but not the LH indicator.

Will now have to disassemble the bumper to get to the light.

Cheers for your help guys.

Mark

I'm having issues with mine as well, both intermittently double flashing. I have cleaned up all connections including the earth on the back of the mounting bolts but still not fixed. Bulbs and mounts are ok from what I can see. 

I do have a dodgy side repeater which needs to be changed but that shouldn't affect the front flashers. Apparently the previous owner changed the flasher relay so I am starting to think it might be a wiring fault or something. Will keep you posted.

Yes; like wise, I am just completing a C service but will focus my attention back onto the indicator once the engine is back in.

Ginger pig, I am curious if you ever figured out the issue with your front turn signals? I have a similar gremllin. I took off my front bumper of course to try and find out why they weren't working at all. With some cleaning of all my connections I seem to be able to make the signals on both sides work.. However this can only be accomplished if the red wires aren't connected.. Turn signals work and they are hyper flashing, (no LED conversion, Original style bulbs) Now if I hook up the red wires the signals work normally but with a new twist.. The headlights pop up when i use the signals! they do go back down,, but this is certainly an annoyance.. If i can't figure this situation out I may have to omit the red wires and live with hyper flash.. 

Front Signal wiring.jpg

The red wire is for the sidelights, so you kinda need it... It could cause the headlamps to pop up, if you have the dim-dip function (you shouldn't in the US, but maybe somebody mistakenly installed a dim-dip relay? Again, flashing too fast points to too great a resistance in the circuit. It looks like the indicators are getting (part of) their earth via the sidelights. Recheck all earth points and maybe try without a sidelight bulb, but with the red wire connected. That will prove or disprove my theory of an earth path via the sidelights.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hi, it was literally a crusted up earth. Pain in the arse pulling off the bumper but completed it in less than a day.

cheers

mark

Escape and Ginger pig, Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your input was critical in figuring out my front turn signal woes.. I started by cleaning the ground behind the driver side door, (i had previously cleaned the grounds under seats and underneath the vehicle) With some experimenting i figured out the single filament sockets were crusty beyond repair. I do not fully understand why this is, however not until i took the green wires from the now defunct light socket and grounded them out instantly my signals work without any hyperflash and nice and  bright! My previous attempts i had very weak turn signal as far as lumens.. and with hyper flash, I almost put my front fender back on with the less than desirable results and would have never been happy with my turn signals. Again I cant thank you guys enough, Trying to get any information on line was near impossible.. The only information you can find about hyperflash is in relation to LED"s  

• Like 1