Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My New Uk "sport Car" Is .... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My New Uk "sport Car" Is ....

post-201-1178356180.jpg

hi,

my S4 sold last march after 10 years and around 79000 km, reasons explain at this time: this sort of car is becoming more a problem than a pleasure for driving her on open roads in my country

After thinking about driving to a new car without increasing " 2007" opened roads problems: low speed, radars any where, increasing dangerous driving attitudes of some bad drivers.

Stop to spend more money for less pleasure but which car is able to give me a back driving pleasure with not many clouds in the sky.

I remember that in the 80' I owned 2 "black european version of her.I sold her because not fast enough.....

I found one TPAD 07.1980 BUILT in april 07 , bought 3350 euros near Lausanne in Switzeland. Only 77208km from new , no accident, ;) no rust :question: Switzland control each 2 years are very hard for cars.

I have driven her 1400 KM , very good drive and feeling. No roof: plenty of sun.Impossible to loose my licence on excess speed on motor way. If stolen! many of others waits!

Completely Unknow , minor risq of bad attitude of some bad drivers.

I joined pics of my "new" TR7 soft top. My project is to make her at a concours level ,

post-201-1178355981.jpg

post-201-1178356296.jpg

post-201-1178356566.jpg

post-201-1178357016.jpg

"Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio" Salvator Rosa when 25 years old National Gallery London

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Troy Halliday

I have a friend who has a TR8 and a convertible TR7 with a V8 conversion. Mind you he does have a conqours winning TR4 and a Conquors winning Mayflower. You could eat your dinner of any part of his TR4 it is that clean.

Nice car - always liked TR7's myself - something about the wedgey cars.

I like the Archimedes screw picture - where is that ?

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

As a boy I used to loathe, hate and DESPISE the TR7, laugh at its puny 4 pot engine and vomit at the sight of its silly contrived swage line, I guess I could never forgive it for displacing the "Boys Own Paper" 100% beef TR6 which still looked fab in 1975.

And yet.......with the passage of time and all cars these days looking soooooo bland and boring I am starting to see the old dog with fresh eyes to the point of actually considering buying one to turn it into a patriotic red white & blue Tony Pond rally car clone;

484855372_656b47f88e.jpg

And the ads were good too! I miss the 70s.

484889303_9269efcc6c_o.jpg

484889353_9ec0503a32_o.jpg

484855330_2e885a483c_o.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I bought a 3 year old one in (IIRC) 1980 and let my Mum drive it while I was away on holiday. She inadvertently holed the radiator on the motorway and blew the head gasket, so Dad and I had a repair job to do when I got home. What a pain THAT was! I've never been much good with spanners, but my old man was, and we sweated blood on the job - but made a schoolboy error of not checking the head for warp - so after a couple of weeks cursing and skinning knuckles I did around 10 miles before the new head gasket blew...

Sold the car fairly soon after that...

Never noticed before, but from the front they look like an Esprit with a foot taken out of the centreline...

Edited to add: Mark B - I miss the 70's too. Semi naked women and cars was just so right! Bet you enjoyed 'Life on Mars' on TV and remembered most of that politically incorrect stuff with a fondness?? Ashes to Ashes will do the same for the 80's according to the blurb.

Edited by islandbloke

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I have always loved British cars. Never had a TR-7, but remember them well. I always wondered why the designers went to such a radical change from the beautiful lines of the TR-6, but I like wedge cars too. I like them even more now that Mark posted those seductive advertisments of them. Yours looks to be in very nice condition.

Restoring both my '63 TR-4 and my '72 Stag. Very few Stags left in the US. I have only seen three out on the west coast (Oregon) in the last twenty five years. Parts are expensive and hard to find. Are there many left in the UK? Too bad Leyland didn't work a few mechanical things out before marketing . . .

Ed

My mum had one of these many years ago, I used to sneak it out the garage when she wasn't around! She got rid of it after claiming it accelerated by its self as she was on the motorway.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Nice car - always liked TR7's myself - something about the wedgey cars.

I like the Archimedes screw picture - where is that ?

Hi,

the Archimede screw is the same with my past S4 pic take by me in october 2006.

This screw is situated 2 meterS and half under the sea. This polder small village is called les Moeres near Dunkirk France

in the Flanders.

post-201-1178386288.jpg

"Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio" Salvator Rosa when 25 years old National Gallery London

[quote name='islandbloke' date='May 5 2007, 03:22 PM' post='97917'

Never noticed before, but from the front they look like an Esprit with a foot taken out of the centreline...

...HAH. Welcome to the club :question:

DSCN0836.jpg

I love being a double wedgie B)

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

...and where else this side of an S1 do you get a groovy tartan trim? (This thing really was inspired by the Esprit wasn't it?)

800px-Triumph_TR7_interior_1978.jpg

Yup, there is definitely on of these in the future as a nostalgic runabout, I'll take mine in mindbending Triton Green thanks :question:

485399740_cfa92daf2a_o.jpg

Edited to add: Mark B - I miss the 70's too. Semi naked women and cars was just so right! Bet you enjoyed 'Life on Mars' on TV and remembered most of that politically incorrect stuff with a fondness?? Ashes to Ashes will do the same for the 80's according to the blurb.

Yeah, everything is so bloody earnest and serious these days don't you think? I was poking about on Ebay looking at old car mags and someone was selling some old Hot Car/Custom Car sets; if they were on the shelves now they would be at the top with Razzle! There was one cover with a bird in a bikini with her hand down her knickers!

hehe... mine has the tartan trim, but it's tan :question: nowhere near as gaudy as say green ;)

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Had a TR7 lease car when I worked at Rover. I thought it handled very well and you could hustle it down a road you knew very quickly. But the brakes were lousy. That's why you had to know the road. Was nice driving to work on a foggy, autumn morning with the hood down and the heater on full blast. Used to be scarey to follow when the wife was driving with the hood down. As she's short, it looked like no-one was driving.

Had the checkered rather than tartan trim. Never had any problems with it but the paint was bubbling off the (aluminium) headlight pods within a year.

Still, Patrick, it has a link to the Esprit. The switches, stalks and headlamp motors were used in the S2.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Had one years ago (29 ?? pffff)

the TR 7 (4-cil) has a bad engine. not trustworthy. rubbish !

needed 2 overhauls in a year and wasn't the only one

if you buy one buy the TR 8. a lot more value for money

greets Rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Still, Patrick, it has a link to the Esprit. The switches, stalks and headlamp motors were used in the S2.

hi,

the world of english sport cars is a smal world...

Had one years ago (29 ?? pffff)

the TR 7 (4-cil) has a bad engine. not trustworthy. rubbish !

needed 2 overhauls in a year and wasn't the only one

if you buy one buy the TR 8. a lot more value for money

greets Rens

hi,

the first thing I have learnt with my first English sport car is "drive it like a English Gentleman, change oil and belts regularly and you never have problem " , after one Spit 3 the first one at 18 , a spit 1500, a Tr6 injection ( black with white soft top) , a MGB gt, 2 TR7 Soft top , one Lotus Esprit S4 kept 10 years , no motor problems nothing bad with each of my Uk sports car. But that 's only my own exp

Not a car I have much respect for I'm afraid. :wacko: Never owned one myself but drove several (coupe and drophead) when they were new around '80-'82. I had a fling with a "Rover woman" who got a new one every 3 months. At the time I had a Dolly Sprint and in comparison the 7s were slow, wallowy and didn't handle or stop. With only two seats, I didn't see anything to recommend them at all - especially as a replacement for the TR6 which had a full 150bhp. I never drove a TR8 tho.....maybe they were better sorted. Hope you enjoy it anyway.....

Mike

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

the 7s were slow, wallowy and didn't handle or stop. With only two seats, I didn't see anything to recommend them at all - especially as a replacement for the TR6 which had a full 150bhp. I never drove a TR8 tho.....maybe they were better sorted. Hope you enjoy it anyway.....

Mike

Hi Mike,

I respect your experience and opinion. But now with the strict and hard laws as in the monopoly "1500 pounds to pay for no "speed respect" ....The handle, slow performance , wallow ... The Tr7 soft top is one of the must suitable and funny car in this new driving "snails" world in France. And his shape is very pleasant to look . About Tr6 yes good for 150 km but only Tr7 is confortable to go to South of France from Lille without being tired .Nota ( modification could be done with modern suspension, and strong new brakes ....http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ .... and for very low costs.)

best regards

Hi Patrick - Nice to see you on here again, and keeping your cars British! - Do like the '6's over the '7's myself, but good for you keeping another Triumph alive :wacko:

As an alternative part supplier, if you don't know know about them already, is Moss International, and they have just about everything you need for your TR7. I've used them before for my Mini's and MG's and find them very reasonable... have a look here http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/TriumphTR7.aspx

Cheers - Mark

Edited by markt

Hi Patrick ,good luck nice car in convertable form nice roof line ,dont see very many over here in the uk ,unusual in black and you can enjoy the sun .say hello to Philipe Adams if you meet again .Happy motoring Mike s3

But now with the strict and hard laws as in the monopoly "1500 pounds to pay for no "speed respect" ....The handle, slow performance , wallow ... The Tr7 soft top is one of the must suitable and funny car in this new driving "snails" world in France.

Thats a good point Patrick. I live inside the M25 motorway around London and the normal traffic levels mean that TR7 performance is well beyond what you can achieve on any of the roads around me...even without the police/camera interest. I wouldn't have one when there's all those other choices out there... but I still think its great that there's people out there who love them and keep them running !

Enjoy

Mike

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Good luck with your new motor :wacko:.

As a kid I always loved the TR7 fhc and the Lotus Elite 503. They both looked very exotic to an impressionable young chap; both wedge shaped, very low, had pop up head lamps and had black bumpers!! (as opposed to chrome bumpers, which all cars seemed to have then).

... but I still think its great that there's people out there who love them and keep them running !

Enjoy

Mike

Hi Mike,

great answer , :P

and keeping your cars British! -

As an alternative part supplier, if you don't know know about them already, is Moss International,

Hi Markt,

1.dont know before Moss : thank you

2. no others countries built British sport cars :P

Hi Mark,

thank's for your kid souvenirs about these Tr7 and Elite 503.

I tried to buy one new in 1978, but couldnt afford the finance on my pittance of earnings from my job as a trainee car stylist (car was 1400 quid).

Harris Mann did a nice job on this car and I thought alot of his designs were quite cool (in sketch form), but after they were productionised looked horrible (Allegro)

tr7_03.jpg

mann_01.jpg

The British motor industry was quite a stuffy place back then and stuff like this was consided dead radical!

I also remember the first car I saw that used tartan material as a seat covering was the Mercedes SLR that Stirling Moss drove to victory in the Mille Millia in 1955.

5050408.001.mini3L.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

.say hello to Philipe Adams if you meet again .Happy motoring Mike s3

Hi Mike'

next time I meet Philippe Adams I will tell him.

Thank's for good wishes "hAPPY MOTORING3

Patrick

Hi WayneB

Actually price for Tr7 is the very very lowest in the lot of Triumph cars.

Thank's for pics I will use them on my new Tr7 Blog .

Best regards

Patrick

Patrick

If you fancy a customised pic of your car there is a talented car designer dude making a few extra pennies doing classic cars;

CarDesignSketches

I think he can make them any colour, number plates etc, shame he hasn't seen fit to do the Esprit yet though...anyone fancy commisioning an original??

491694755_d3d55759c4_o.jpg