free hit
counters
UK MY88 Dim Dip Bypass?? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

UK MY88 Dim Dip Bypass??

Hi all

Is there a hack to bypass the dim dip module so I can run sidelights without having the pop up's up on my 88 car?

Annoying my car falls under that legislative period and has the module fitted, I'd like to get rid of it if possible!

Cheers,

Llew

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Llew, it’s on my to do list as well so I will let you know if/when I succeed. Think there is a post on the forum somewhere which says it’s the blue and white wire on the module however you need to get the right one otherwise you will use the flash fuction.

Do you have a link? I have tried searching for "dim dip" but can't find any hits. It's probably operator error mind you!

I'd imagine it's just a case of jumping some wires in the plug, I'll have a look in the service manual for a wiring diagram over the weekend.

Yep, definitely using the right switches!! For about 6 months in '88 there was some legislation in the uk relating to all cars with pop up headlights. Basically the rule was that if your parking lights were on the pop ups had to be upright even if they weren't being used. For this reason any 88 UK car has a factory mod called a "dim dip" module or relay which is a wiring change to allow this. I'd like to bypass mine but can't find any info on it...

5 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Pull the dim dip relay out then - that will sort it will it not?

im reading the pishe in the manual now

If only it was that simple! :) it interferes with the lighting circuit so you need to mod it... I'll have a play tomorrow and will upload a fix if I manage to do it....

My Excel was fitted with Dim Dip which I have disabled. As mentioned pull the Dim Dip Relay, and then there will be a fuse (34 on the Excel) which has to be pulled to stop the headlights switching on whilst the pods are closed. Works for me and I run LEDs in the sidelights to get a pseudo DLR effect.

No change to the wiring - I suspect the the Esprit uses the same basic system.