free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Cup 430 - Page 14 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tex

Lotus Exige Cup 430

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Tex said:

I think the Komotec route to get an additional 40hp from a Cup 430 is quite logical and may well preserve the engine to some degree. The issue that I have is it seems very expensive for what is actually done to the Car and in fact it is the same price for a  410 where you are getting an extra 60hp. 

Imo the 475 upgrade for the Cup should be less 

Unfortunately ist the exact same kit in both the 410 and 430. In both cases you get the new headers and sports cat, so after kit instalation both engines are identical - ultimately producing the same power.

Consequentially, if you ask Daniel which car you should buy he'll tell you to get the 410, save a lot of money that you can spend on the EX475 kit.


If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 minutes ago, alias23 said:

Most manufacturers now encrypt their ECUs as standard. You just see a lot more ECU tuning options available for different marques because the size of the market is much larger and therefore the ECU wizards who find their way through the encryption can justify the cost, resource, and time to make it happen as the market size is big enough to justify. However the Lotus marquee is actually very very small in terms of market size and therefore opportunity.

I've personally been looking to find a way into the ECU for my own usage and it is not easy which arguably it shouldn't be as its encrypted. The fact that some tuners have spent the time (it wouldn't surprise me if we're talking a few 100 hours) and invested to find a way should be applauded in my opinion as again the market size is soo small at least their looking to bring something to the market for us to benefit. I don't see it as a deliberate monopoly.

Exactly! The market for tune VWs is logically much larger than for tuned Lotus. I have heard of supplier engineers who have sold the unencryption algortihms for their ECU'S for a few hundred thousand Euros! That just doesn't work for Lotus, which is why Komotec has spent a lot of effort reverse engineering the ECU and even today has only limited access.

However, there are meanwhile a few outfits that can handle the Lotus ECU and make minor changes for example to timing. Some have even cloned the KT software. Unfortunately I've seen some of their work here in France - mostly in the form of blown engines.

The encryption is more or less required by law, simply because the manufacturer is liable for changes made that could affect consumption of emissions. Its also the reason aftermarket ECUs aren't legal for road use (except maybe in the US).


If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alias23 said:

Most manufacturers now encrypt their ECUs as standard. You just see a lot more ECU tuning options available for different marques because the size of the market is much larger and therefore the ECU wizards who find their way through the encryption can justify the cost, resource, and time to make it happen as the market size is big enough to justify. However the Lotus marquee is actually very very small in terms of market size and therefore opportunity.

I've personally been looking to find a way into the ECU for my own usage and it is not easy which arguably it shouldn't be as its encrypted. The fact that some tuners have spent the time (it wouldn't surprise me if we're talking a few 100 hours) and invested to find a way should be applauded in my opinion as again the market size is soo small at least their looking to bring something to the market for us to benefit. I don't see it as a deliberate monopoly.

It’s also copy righted too..... KT haven’t fully decrypted the 380 ECU for sure.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason a factory Motorsport tuning makes a lot of sense, to me anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Yes! 

Looking forward to the photos of this one 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Pits said:

Another reason a factory Motorsport tuning makes a lot of sense, to me anyway.

 

But presumably this isn’t available at the moment?

6 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Will pop some up on collection day but....

 

 

5868132F-9178-459B-B249-94A7A3EF1886.jpeg

D0645403-B55E-41CA-BDE9-6D3FF1E4C0AB.jpeg

55A934D1-BF82-45E2-83D9-DE2695A74986.jpeg

E25000DD-3C1F-4509-9D8F-A776A11B647A.jpeg

Welcome to the Cup Club, 

Great looking car 👍🏽

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Pits said:

Another reason a factory Motorsport tuning makes a lot of sense, to me anyway.

 

Don't expect much of that coming in the future. Every tuner extends the bounds of the cars homologation, something you can generally do on an individual basis where the cars owner takes all accountability for the legal implications. As a carmaker you can't do that, you can't tranfser your liability to  the customer.

For example, the EX60 kit from Komotec can be legalized in Germany, meaning it's recorded in the cars papers, but only because Komotec actually did the necessary emissions testing (so you do get an uprise on your car tax). But, to my knowledge you can't legally register the kit in France, though it will pass all inspections and MOTs. If it were Lotus doing the tuning they need to have a full COC for every market they intend to sell the car to.


If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Im Tony Diaz, from Panama, the new guy here... my Exige 430 is about 20 days away... cant wait to have it 

any suggestions on things to do? Perhaps Komotech 490 kit??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2019 at 02:35, BatMobile said:

Will pop some up on collection day but....

 

 

5868132F-9178-459B-B249-94A7A3EF1886.jpeg

D0645403-B55E-41CA-BDE9-6D3FF1E4C0AB.jpeg

55A934D1-BF82-45E2-83D9-DE2695A74986.jpeg

E25000DD-3C1F-4509-9D8F-A776A11B647A.jpeg

Top banana that, looks great!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TDExige said:

Hi, Im Tony Diaz, from Panama, the new guy here... my Exige 430 is about 20 days away... cant wait to have it 

any suggestions on things to do? Perhaps Komotech 490 kit??

Best get used to the car before thinking of any power upgrades. Currently there isn’t a Komotec 490 upgrade only the 475 in any event.

Better off if you haven’t already buying a ceramic coat and some PPF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TDExige it’s hard to say without seeing your car!

like @Tex says ppf is a must, I also added lotus side skirts, painted the wing mirrors and steering column body colour, had the stereo upgraded (speakers and sub), got the supercharger painted yellow to match the highlights/brake callipers, Got the tow stickers removed and put new black/yellow lotus badges on. 
 

@MrP_ thanks buddy, I can’t wait for next Friday 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

@TDExige it’s hard to say without seeing your car!

like @Tex says ppf is a must, I also added lotus side skirts, painted the wing mirrors and steering column body colour, had the stereo upgraded (speakers and sub), got the supercharger painted yellow to match the highlights/brake callipers, Got the tow stickers removed and put new black/yellow lotus badges on. 
 

@MrP_ thanks buddy, I can’t wait for next Friday 😄

Fully concur , getting your car personalised that little bit more for yourself is all part of the Lotus experience. I also had the front and rear tow eye/strap changed to yellow to match.

I must say I never thought of getting the Chargecooler top colour changed from red. A great idea and look forward to seeing it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg the week delay whilst the recalled coolant reservoir got delivered by lotus is just killing me.

not wanting to wish the next week away but can we just fast forward to Saturday already!

thanks to @Gordon S For the pic, the wing mirrors are off for paint along with the other bits. 

16DBACDF-090F-41BB-8F19-6D1ECE218C4C.jpeg

Jamie has been superb, made the whole experience pleasant and easy, given all my changes it’s been anything but!

huge difference from the piss poor service I got from the last dealership I bought new from. I won’t go into the latest stunts they pulled but pm me if you want to know where to avoid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BatMobile said:

Jamie has been superb, made the whole experience pleasant and easy

100% agree, Jamie is totally brilliant and I hugely enjoyed every interaction with him when buying mine in 2017 and on a number of occasions afterwards. :thumbsup:

Sadly I can't say anything similar when it comes to car service side of B&C. :dizzy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Omg the week delay whilst the recalled coolant reservoir got delivered by lotus is just killing me.

not wanting to wish the next week away but can we just fast forward to Saturday already!

thanks to @Gordon S For the pic, the wing mirrors are off for paint along with the other bits. 

16DBACDF-090F-41BB-8F19-6D1ECE218C4C.jpeg

Jamie has been superb, made the whole experience pleasant and easy, given all my changes it’s been anything but!

huge difference from the piss poor service I got from the last dealership I bought new from. I won’t go into the latest stunts they pulled but pm me if you want to know where to avoid.

Sound like it’s going to look brilliant with a few classy additions / personal tweaks. Can’t wait to see the pictures 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vd9 said:

Sadly I can't say anything similar when it comes to car service side of B&C. :dizzy:

Agreed, Jamie is the star player at B&C.  Although, to provide some balance, I have been happy with the servicing side of B&C, they have fought my corner with Lotus over a couple of issues and they did the right thing by me.  So, credit where credit is due, as I'd be the first to complain if I wasn't happy! 🙂  Distance wise, B&C is a bit further than at least another two dealers for me, but I'm happy to make the trip for the level of service and flexibility received.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here kenny, Phil might not be the Most personable but bloody hell the mechanics are good. At least they didn’t:

over tighten a screw causing an outward dent on one door requiring a respray,

sell me a car with a dodgy steering rack that needed replacing,

send my car back with the steering column hanging off And the wheels not aligned meaning the yellow 12 o’clock stripe was more 1pm, then tell me I had a cracked wheel which caused it which was a lie, (back on track re did it for me perfectly)

damage my car, deny it, then admit it and offer to contribute to a respray and then deny the whole conversation ever happened,

open one door against the wall causing 1cm of paint to be scraped off needing a respray,

send my car back with the exhaust valve not connected so as soon as I put it into race/sport it went into limp mode - wouldn’t be so bad but there driver had driven it 1.5 hours to me so had to take it all the way back to sort! 

replace my clutch but not change the flywheel causing juddering and have genuinely no clue what was wrong (bell and colvill sorted it straight away/first visit),

I won’t publicly name this firm (but they are a main dealer) but after that ordeal bell & colvill in their entirety are bloody miracle workers!

E2AB8661-EE96-44E8-AA75-22A23CC0F5C6.jpeg

93771A8E-0B54-488D-AB64-0252A9310751.jpeg

817B9D84-B198-461F-A914-9620EE49E0F5.jpeg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG. Some bloody dealers just need to give up and open a hair salon or Something instead....

  • Haha 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think Lotus dealers are bad try McLaren 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just had it confirmed that while you can get a Komotec 490 upgrade for a 311, the ECU in the Cup 430 will only allow 475.

Same engine different ECU !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tex said:

If you think Lotus dealers are bad try McLaren 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just had it confirmed that while you can get a Komotec 490 upgrade for a 311, the ECU in the Cup 430 will only allow 475.

Same engine different ECU !!!

Oh careful, or we'll start the 400 v 410 debate all over again and some people will get terribly irate, some will explode with indignation and some will run to the kitchen to grab a cold beer and nuke some popcorn in the microwave!

 

I have heard some, erm, hmm, enlightening tales about some Mclaren dealers though...


Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Oh careful, or we'll start the 400 v 410 debate all over again and some people will get terribly irate, some will explode with indignation and some will run to the kitchen to grab a cold beer and nuke some popcorn in the microwave!

 

I have heard some, erm, hmm, enlightening tales about some Mclaren dealers though...

Yes don’t want to start a power war !!!

Most of the tales about McLaren are unfortunately true having had firsthand experience. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should I have been contacted by the dealership to get my coolant reservoir replaced on my 430?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Phil might not be the Most personable but bloody hell the mechanics are good

I agree once again! I really can't fault the mechanics as they've always done good job. At the same time I struggle to make my way through interaction with Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...