free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Cup 430 - Page 16 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tex

Lotus Exige Cup 430

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
35 minutes ago, Tex said:

If you do have any intention of doing much tracking get the camber set correctly. If not you will investing heavily in new Cup 2’s on a regular basis 

Oh she’ll be going on track, buying a cup car and just using it on the road is like buying a prostitute and just talking to her. 

how have you got yours set up tex? Did you change the ride hide much?

Just go for maximum camber on front and back! 

www.alias23.com

2 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Oh she’ll be going on track, buying a cup car and just using it on the road is like buying a prostitute and just talking to her. 

how have you got yours set up tex? Did you change the ride hide much?

As Imran said , max camber. Might be less comfortable for road, but far better on track. I am planning to increase camber on mine as not nearly enough at the moment 

6 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Car is off to back on track Friday to swap to the bc wheels. Keen to see how they look.

jez will also be doing a geo, having been in another cup430 with it done, it’s very much an upgrade.

E418ADE1-6419-4B43-8FD3-1C4AF048DBC8.jpeg

Did you go for ppf/ceramic coating or a combination of both?

3 minutes ago, TerryCTR said:

Did you go for ppf/ceramic coating or a combination of both?

Both, ppf ultimate which self heals and can be machine polished, then gtechnic coating and exo

I don’t  think I’d do ppf again, I have a chip that went through and I got my whole front end done on my last car for a very good price so would just go to him as and when i needed it. As I have ppf I can’t sort the chip 🤷‍♂️ Not quite as great as I was led to believe. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tex said:

If you do have any intention of doing much tracking get the camber set correctly. If not you will investing heavily in new Cup 2’s on a regular basis 

Any basis you have for this statement? Asking since I used to run 2.5/2.0 F/R negative camber on another (much heavier) car with a lot of motorway miles as well and is wasn't causing any trouble at all. I wonder why would it suddenly be a big problem in a much lighter Exige...

4 hours ago, BatMobile said:

I don’t  think I’d do ppf again

I personally think it is a car and it should be used, which means chips and dents. When it gets too much, it should be repainted as needed. Overall I will still enjoy my "uncondomed" car better in between the resprays even with minor chips and over the long term with active use it will cost me roughly the same (i.e. film and refilm vs repaint). I understand this is a minority point of view. :blush:

Edited by vd9

Totally agree that ppf, annoyingly, costs pretty much what a respray costs, so going without is a perfectly reasonable route. I suppose there's the risk of a poorly matched respray I guess and while it's disappointing that ppf is far from 100% protective of stone chips I think the Exige is very prone to them being so low. I didn't have ppf on my Elise but I did on the Exige which was in much better shape overall after a similar amount of miles. Ceramic coatings in my experience are not worth anything at all. I had my wheels done on the Evora hoping that brake dust would just rinse off but unless the dealer fobbed me off and never applied any, the stuff they used has made zero difference.  

Anyway, I need to stay away from this thread ideally. Couldn't be happier with my Evora but I won't be able to completely rest until that Motorsport Green Cup 430 at Central has been sold!

19 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Couldn't be happier with my Evora but I won't be able to completely rest until that Motorsport Green Cup 430 at Central has been sold!

I was like that with the burnt orange Evora430 in Leven. Thank god @blindside bought it!

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

8 hours ago, vd9 said:

Any basis you have for this statement? Asking since I used to run 2.5/2.0 F/R negative camber on another (much heavier) car with a lot of motorway miles as well and is wasn't causing any trouble at all. I wonder why would it suddenly be a big problem in a much lighter Exige...

I personally think it is a car and it should be used, which means chips and dents. When it gets too much, it should be repainted as needed. Overall I will still enjoy my "uncondomed" car better in between the resprays even with minor chips and over the long term with active use it will cost me roughly the same (i.e. film and refilm vs repaint). I understand this is a minority point of view. :blush:

Any amount of spirited driving on track will  usually result in the outside edges of the tyres that are being leaned on the most to wear.

It is mainly the rear and front near side due to most tracks being clockwise. Adding camber negates this to some degree and wears the tyres more evenly . Clearly if you deviate from the factory  camber road settings use there will some downside

49 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Anyway, I need to stay away from this thread ideally. Couldn't be happier with my Evora but I won't be able to completely rest until that Motorsport Green Cup 430 at Central has been sold!

That is a very nice car indeed and nice x-mas present 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The key @Tex to getting more out of the Cup2 is to swap them over side to side between each trackday. It's the same with the GT430, the front left wears out fastest on the outer edge. Ran P-Zero Trofeos and Avon ZZRs on the Exige V6 Cup. Both brilliant but Trofeos wore out fast at the rear. Avon ZZRs sidewalls gave up long before they ran out of tread. I did get 7 trackdays out of them which is fair enough but it was a bit of a shock to see cracked inner sidewalls at the rear. I believe Avon have made some changes to the tyre's construction since then. Fantastic tyre nonetheless. Not quite as grippy as the Trofeo but lasted much longer and didn't drop off like the Trofeo. Grip was strong and consistent right to the end. Obviously keeping an eye on hot tyre pressures is key for all 3 types of track tyre. Leave the car on road pressures and you'll overheat all three when you start pushing on. 2 bar hot is your target pressure. Makes a massive difference to the grip, laptime and balance of the car.

I moved from ZZR's to ZZS's on my track focused Type 116.  I drive the car to the track and back and the ZZR's on wet roads were not good!  The ZZS's are much better in the wet and on the track I have not really noticed any drop off in performance, though, I am not a driving god. They are holding up well from a wear perspective too.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

8 hours ago, The Pits said:

The key @Tex to getting more out of the Cup2 is to swap them over side to side between each trackday.

I didn’t think you could do that on the Cup2s?

www.alias23.com

34 minutes ago, alias23 said:

I didn’t think you could do that on the Cup2s?

They're not directional so should be able to

2 hours ago, PhilT said:

They're not directional so should be able to

Sure you're not confusing with Trofeo? If that's the case I've got one more track day in my rears lol hence wanting to triple confirm!

www.alias23.com

12 hours ago, alias23 said:

Sure you're not confusing with Trofeo? If that's the case I've got one more track day in my rears lol hence wanting to triple confirm!

Coming from Tropheo I had the same concern as you and discussed this point with Lotus dealer before swapping to Cup 2s - I will also swap them round.

They were designed to be swapped over which is why they are all made from one mould, left and right tread design is identical. At first I thought Michelin did this to save cost but it's actually a smart approach for track tyres to even-up the wear. They are optimised for the left side of the car due to most circuits being clockwise as confirmed by the guy who works at Michelin on here. Forgot his forum name, can anyone here remember? @rallyesax?

Quick update. Yes it was him, here's a post from another thread about the Cup2.

"However, Yes ! They are optimised for track days knowing that most tracks turn clockwise. So that the left hand side tire will see more corners that the other. 😉

And if you pay attention, you will see that the angle at the shoulder that you mention is going the opposite way to a PS4S for example (which is not a trackday focus tire). And it was done specificaly for this 😉 (it improves the stiffness, lasting performance and the shape of the contact patch while cornering because of the way the groove retain forces while entering the contact area). I know, it doesn't feel intuitive when you look at it, but it actually does when you do the math. And we do have 'feathering' (not sure that's what you meant) on the shoulders with other tirelines also with other Psi angles. 

The Pirelli Trofeo R you're showing at the end of the video is of course different in terms of tread pattern but you can see that, as a track focus tire, it also uses the same 'reverse' outer shoulder angle than us. 

In competition, Formula E cars use tires that have almost identical looking tread patterns to PSCup2. Shoulders are done the same way for the same reasons ☺️

Speaking of trofeos R. I've been testing some of them last month at the Nurburgring against our Cup2. Their performance on the first lap are trumendous ! They are ahead of the cup2 with no doubt but then they drop in performance laps after laps. But hey ! It is state of the art semi slick, and should be compared to our Cup 2R 😋 (but we don't have a big size range 😥

They also act like real slicks when cold ! You really have to put some heat in it to get them to stick or it's real Ice-skating 

And I aslo have to say... They look cool 😎 "

Just had a full set of Cup 2’s delivered and can confirm they are all identical tread patterns so can be swapped side to side

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 08:33, The Pits said:

Totally agree that ppf, annoyingly, costs pretty much what a respray costs, so going without is a perfectly reasonable route. I suppose there's the risk of a poorly matched respray I guess and while it's disappointing that ppf is far from 100% protective of stone chips I think the Exige is very prone to them being so low. I didn't have ppf on my Elise but I did on the Exige which was in much better shape overall after a similar amount of miles. Ceramic coatings in my experience are not worth anything at all. I had my wheels done on the Evora hoping that brake dust would just rinse off but unless the dealer fobbed me off and never applied any, the stuff they used has made zero difference.  

Keep looking at that bloody MSG 430-someone please buy it doing my head in!

Group buy? I bet you could get a cracking deal on it too. Which isn't helping! 😬

Ah, note that it's a non-airbag version, with the A-frame to properly mount harnesses 😉
Remove the (useless ?) radio and you have a proper track tool ^^