free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Cup 430 - Page 20 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tex

Lotus Exige Cup 430

35 minutes ago, Tex said:

Hi Guy, it wasn’t actually but your solution looks good, have you got a contact for them ? and does it restrict or reduce power? 

What i remember seeing was a twin kinked tail pipe which can be adjusted to face down or sideways similar to the single Komotec dB eater.  I think the Komotec solution is not for the titanium exhaust I have though 

Mine was made for me by Maidstone Sports Cars as I couldn't find anything that suited what i was after.  It's effectively two Merlin Motorsport Racing Mufflers in a Y configuration.  Whilst I haven't put it on a dyno and done before and after, my dyno-arse certainly couldn't detect any difference.  Merlin supply them for use of loads of racing cars to get into practice sessions - they assured me they've never had any problems.  You can see through it - it's just catching the sound.  It's held in place with a bolt - we drilled a small hole in the bottom of the exhaust tip.

Done 3 track days with it without any problems at all.  I can't be arsed to change the exhaust so this suits me fine.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
48 minutes ago, GuyT said:

Mine was made for me by Maidstone Sports Cars as I couldn't find anything that suited what i was after.  It's effectively two Merlin Motorsport Racing Mufflers in a Y configuration.  Whilst I haven't put it on a dyno and done before and after, my dyno-arse certainly couldn't detect any difference.  Merlin supply them for use of loads of racing cars to get into practice sessions - they assured me they've never had any problems.  You can see through it - it's just catching the sound.  It's held in place with a bolt - we drilled a small hole in the bottom of the exhaust tip.

Done 3 track days with it without any problems at all.  I can't be arsed to change the exhaust so this suits me fine.

Cheers Guy,

I will give them a bell 👍🏽

29 minutes ago, TerryCTR said:

Drilling a hole in the Ti exhaust 😯

Exactly, I think that is why Komotec don’t yet have a solution but are apparently working on one 

I bought the lotus track exhaust, will just swap it over for track season, gets me on all tracks as quieter than a stock 350 and is repackable. 

3 hours ago, BatMobile said:

I bought the lotus track exhaust, will just swap it over for track season, gets me on all tracks as quieter than a stock 350 and is repackable. 

Probably the best solution, although i prefer having the titanium exhaust wherever possible and would be forever switching them over which isn’t a quick task.  As I only need to drop 2 decibels to achieve what I need, the  dB eaters appear a better option

Yeah I get that, I managed to get one second hand so for the cost it made sense as I’ll just get it switched over for a track day. 

it seems all other ideas involve drilling which I don’t like the sound of with a titanium exhaust. Plus they extend quite far which must put pressure on the welds given the speeds and bumps you can get on track as none of these extensions seem to be super light. 

• Like 1

I replaced my titanium exhaust with the Komo Tec
https://www.komo-tec.com/de/lotus-exige/mk3-toyota-v6350380/abgassystem/104/edelstahl-sportauspuff-exige-s-v6-evora-s-mit-klappensteuerung?c=884
We tested the Komotec exhaust on race tracks for a year, whether the flap is closed or open, there is no loss of performance. The flap can only be adjusted manually, so it does not open and close automatically.
The sound is wonderful, not too loud for the track when the flap is closed. Without loss of performance. brilliant

IMG_8337.jpg

Edited by Nightfire

@Nightfire what was the weight difference?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

31 minutes ago, Nightfire said:

I replaced my titanium exhaust with the Komo Tec
https://www.komo-tec.com/de/lotus-exige/mk3-toyota-v6350380/abgassystem/104/edelstahl-sportauspuff-exige-s-v6-evora-s-mit-klappensteuerung?c=884
We tested the Komotec exhaust on race tracks for a year, whether the flap is closed or open, there is no loss of performance. The flap can only be adjusted manually, so it does not open and close automatically.
The sound is wonderful, not too loud for the track when the flap is closed. Without loss of performance. brilliant

IMG_8337.jpg

Looks like you are running quite rich...any idea what your A/F ratios are?

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

49 minutes ago, Nightfire said:

Any engine temperature difference perhaps when the flap is closed ?

Edited by Martrack

The throughput is large enough, no changes with the temperatures.

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Looks like you are running quite rich...any idea what your A/F ratios are?

The picture is very dark, it looks exactly the same as with the titanium exhaust.

What’s happening with your Ti. Exhaust 😅

10 hours ago, GazzyFizzle said:

I thought the flap automatically opened at certain revs, regardless of the switch position?

This is exactly the point where the exhaust valve no longer opens by itself but only manually. This ensures that it never gets too loud for the race track.

2 hours ago, Nightfire said:

This is exactly the point where the exhaust valve no longer opens by itself but only manually. This ensures that it never gets too loud for the race track.

Presumably the design of the exhaust Is materially very different from Lotus’s own system which has to open the valve at higher revs to reduce the potential of engine damage.

As it’s a KT system it must be ok but I would still feel uneasy at high revs on track having the valve closed 

• Like 1

And rather enjoyable according to a previous discussion starting there : 

Do you feel the same @BatMobile ?
Do you miss / regret your previous (titanium ?) exhaust ?

Many thanks for your feedback 👍

I bought his track exhaust so have both. The ti exhaust is amazing and for me is the one that will be on the car 99% of the time. I will pay backontrack to swap them over when needed. 

• Like 2

The Exige Cup 430 is rapid and well sorted as standard and you need to spend serious money to get up to the power and down to the low weight that it provides from other models. 

So  Is anyone doing any mods or contemplating any to improve on it’s track performance? 

27 minutes ago, Tex said:

The Exige Cup 430 is rapid and well sorted as standard and you need to spend serious money to get up to the power and down to the low weight that it provides from other models. 

So  Is anyone doing any mods or contemplating any to improve on it’s track performance? 

The best investment is driver training ....😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

The best investment is driver training ....😉

Are you an expert on the subject ? 😉