free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Cup 430 - Page 4 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tex

Lotus Exige Cup 430

On 18/09/2018 at 12:28, nerobi said:

Interesting comparison , although not generally the sort of eclectic mix you would see at UK track days. A GT3 or GT3 RS  would have been a better choice.

Either way though criticising the Lotus gearbox/gearchange is a valid point and while old school like a stick, it is not the quickest way to change gear and go fast on track

Lotus really should have been able to install the fast auto box from the Evora 430.

That would imo have been the best Exige ever !!!. Unlikely to see that now though

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I agree but there is the driving too; he missed 1-2 times, didn't choose the right speed in some corners. I don't care that he was a pro driver; he didn't do well.

Also, he did look the most excited in the exige.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nerobi said:

I agree but there is the driving too; he missed 1-2 times, didn't choose the right speed in some corners. I don't care that he was a pro driver; he didn't do well.

No doubt the most fun!!

But yes he didn’t appear to get the best from the Exige, perhaps too used to PDK’s

I did Silverstone track day yesterday and while there were a lot of exotic cars there going fast in the straights, when it turned a bit greasey they were backing off in the bends and also considerably destroying their tyres. 

In varying track conditions the Exige imo has advantages over larger heavier but more powerful supercars.

Interesting he felt the Exige could handle more power,  this was exactly my thoughts yesterday on the long Silverstone straights where 500 bhp would not have hurt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nerobi said:

I agree with this. He didn’t seem to pick the right gears - needed to be lower and riding the torque more.

It was difficult to watch actually. But never mind, stil quicker than a Ford GT which is over double the price! 

Of course a lot depends on the circuit “ horses for courses “ etc 

somewhere like Silverstone with long fast straights suits larger BHP cars particularly in the dry but somewhere like Mallory would suit a more nimble car like the Exige. The Cup 430 does lack a bit of grunt and a bit more BHP  would help.

Anglesey is probably a bit in the middle and therefore a decent circuit for comparisons. 

The video doesn't match the traces, in the video he leaves it in 4th up to rocket which is 120 mph, the traces show he's in 5th with a peak speed of 132 mph, the video does not show his best lap.  The lap from the traces is a good lap, not much more to be had.

59 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

@Tex - what's the accuracy of the scales?  

Probably not very, as it goes up in 20kg increments, so would mean somewhere between 1,081 and 1,099 kg

So I’d like a decent front towing eye for my Exige 430 Cup. Stock one in the boot looks pretty clunky but suppose could be improved if it’s painted. 

I’d like it on semi permanently to protect the front end from wayward reversing cars. The problem is that the mounting is under the new number plate position. 

Is it allowed legally to punch a hole through the plate to accommodate this?

Second question; has a solution been found yet for the EU valve situation?

A64D0404-C50E-4B0E-BEAD-BFBC6AD26F2A.jpeg

• Like 1

Andy , I had mine painted Yellow and was a good improvement . I know a few who don’t have a front plate so putting a hole through it may be a better option although still illegal !!

By the EU valve situation I assume you are referring to the exhaust switch on the steering cowling .

You can order the button through your dealer and have them fit it as they need to do an ECU upgrade for it to work, wiring loom is still in place, although the button only works in normal mode and not Sport or Race . Plenty of threads on TLF on this 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does it junk the warranty doing this ECU upgrade?

I’ll have to see if Lotus Edinburgh know about this. Thanks. 

Edited by Andy Norman

5 minutes ago, Andy Norman said:

That’s debatable , as 2018 380 Cups appear to have the switch so it’s not an issue other than an EU dictat.

A number of official Lotus dealers are quite happy doing it with no issue but try to convert your 430 to a soft top and you have to sign a disclaimer 😂

15 hours ago, Andy Norman said:

I wrote about it recently, B&C have stated that it would invalidate warranty if the button was added. Also, just to note, my car does not have the wiring in place, so might be worth checking yours to see if it's there 👍

3 hours ago, RRSSS said:

I wrote about it recently, B&C have stated that it would invalidate warranty if the button was added. Also, just to note, my car does not have the wiring in place, so might be worth checking yours to see if it's there 👍

I’ve just had word from Lotus Edinburgh that it’ll invalidate the warranty. 

Where can it be done where it won’t? Any ideas?

Edited by Andy Norman

Does anyone drive it in normal mode anyway?

mine lives in race mode and is used almost daily. 

I haven’t used the button since I bought the car.....

Love the 430s, feel free to put more pics up gents so we can all drool ;)

6 minutes ago, Andy Norman said:

I believe Hofmann's can do it (or at least the last time I enquired), and I think Central. Couple of things though:

1) If they can do it does not necessarily mean warranty will be fine!

2) As mentioned earlier, not all will have the wiring loom. I believe the earlier cars did. If it has the wiring loom then it's a simple job of ordering the button and installing, along with the ECU update. If there's no wiring, then it will be a more complicated job

6 minutes ago, Andy Norman said:

As stated by RRSSS, the official Lotus line is that it will invalidate warranty and the 2 dealers mentioned may well do it 

Being totally honest putting your car on track has the potential for invalidating the warranty. Cup cars only come with 24 months and Lotus have some tolerance to the additional wear that tracks produce. I think the switch issue is more adhering to EU rules than anything else but there is always that risk should anything go wrong

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tex said:

As stated by RRSSS, the official Lotus line is that it will invalidate warranty and the 2 dealers mentioned may well do it 

Being totally honest putting your car on track has the potential for invalidating the warranty. Cup cars only come with 24 months and Lotus have some tolerance to the additional wear that tracks produce. I think the switch issue is more adhering to EU rules than anything else but there is always that risk should anything go wrong

What a total pain in the arse. I’ll try to have a friendly word with Ian at Edinburgh and see if I can get somewhere. Thanks for the info. 

Edited by Andy Norman

On 10/10/2018 at 03:14, Andy Norman said:

What a total pain in the arse. I’ll try to have a friendly word with Ian at Edinburgh and see if I can get somewhere. Thanks for the info. 

If you dont mind the exhaust always open, you can pull the tube between the supercharger and the small pressure canister (or pressure canister to ECU controlled valve), and plug it. I have seen another post which places a (fish tank) 1 way lever valve in this line which gives the option of manually enabling/disabling if thats more appropriate for you.

20181017_084328.jpg.76c03b5b4c3a460ee04a8f45cce974df.jpg

1 hour ago, dbo said:

If you dont mind the exhaust always open, you can pull the tube between the supercharger and the small pressure canister (or pressure canister to ECU controlled valve), and plug it. I have seen another post which places a (fish tank) 1 way lever valve in this line which gives the option of manually enabling/disabling if thats more appropriate for you.

20181017_084328.jpg.76c03b5b4c3a460ee04a8f45cce974df.jpg

Thanks. I’m worried about the warranty though as I’m sure this will be picked up by the ECU and still void it. I’d rather Lotus did it prior to 24months old. I’m still awaiting a response from Edinburgh who is asking the question for me with someone at Lotus HQ. 

9 hours ago, Andy Norman said:

Thanks. I’m worried about the warranty though as I’m sure this will be picked up by the ECU and still void it. I’d rather Lotus did it prior to 24months old. I’m still awaiting a response from Edinburgh who is asking the question for me with someone at Lotus HQ. 

The ECU won't know. There is nothing to worry about. 

10 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

The ECU won't know. There is nothing to worry about. 

Although Lotus may intimate warranty invalidation it is inconceivable that they would enforce it. Why would they,  as all 2017 and some 2018 cars have the switch as standard with no mechanical detriment. 

It is as already mentioned a 2018!EU reg requirement to quieten down cars and which they must be seen to be endorsing and presumably enforcing