free hit
counters
Tex’s Lotus Exige Cup 430 - Page 24 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Tex’s Lotus Exige Cup 430

10 hours ago, Martrack said:

Tex, thank you again for your experience sharing 👍
Last question, still using default anti roll bars and chassis heights settings ?

Yes at the moment 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Out of interest, what was the recommendation for softer spring rates?

i recently upgraded my 380 to Nitrons and went with the slightly softer than factory settings - l went with the 500/850 rather than the factory 550/1100 - happy with them and note that a few people offer softer than standard Nitrons - Komotec, Seriously Lotus, but also wonder what factory is like.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have finally succumbed to the fact I need to fit a quieter track focussed exhaust. 

You can only short shift for so long ! Black flagged at Donington recently and 2 warnings at Silverstone last week.

After some research it comes down to which 2Bular exhaust I fit, the QP or  Track/Road. Both could also have 350mm track cans fitted to further reduce noise if needed.

https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-380

With Brands, Thruxton, Bedford etc all having no more than 92db driveby the Track/Road system is probably not going to work even with cans, but I mainly do Donington and Silverstone which would be fine with T/R

Dilemma is the T/R is lighter, better aural sound  ( won’t swap exhaust out between track days) for on road use, less expensive and hopefully should get me on many UK circuits without needing to short shift but:

QP will get me on most tracks and less  concerns.

So any experiences of these exhausts would be greatly appreciated 

I have the QP (with full 2bular manifolds and sports cat / link pipe) and it’s been excellent. No issues at most tracks even without the add-on cans, and currently coping well with 500hp. I find the sound is actually pretty good too, although obviously not a patch on the OEM 430 noise.

9 hours ago, Mattmahope said:

I have the QP (with full 2bular manifolds and sports cat / link pipe) and it’s been excellent. No issues at most tracks even without the add-on cans, and currently coping well with 500hp. I find the sound is actually pretty good too, although obviously not a patch on the OEM 430 noise.

Interesting information Matt, so even with the QP system there has been some noise issues.  What tracks were this on ?

Initially I was all for the Track Rd system but the QP seems a safer bet from your comments and a couple of others on here and PH

I have had no issues at Snetterton, Brands Hatch or Spa since I fitted the system I have (which is full 2bular manifolds, downpipe, sports cat, and valveless track silencer). I have not yet had to fit add-on cans. Will be at Goodwood next week and would expect the same i.e. no issues hopefully.

Personally I would rather get the quietest system possible to avoid any risk at any track, rather than showing up each track day worried about whether I am going to get on track or get black flagged. This is especially the case if you have the option to switch to a loud exhaust for road use (which at the moment I do not).

Thx for all the input 

2 hours ago, Mattmahope said:

I have had no issues at Snetterton, Brands Hatch or Spa since I fitted the system I have (which is full 2bular manifolds, downpipe, sports cat, and valveless track silencer). I have not yet had to fit add-on cans. Will be at Goodwood next week and would expect the same i.e. no issues hopefully.

Personally I would rather get the quietest system possible to avoid any risk at any track, rather than showing up each track day worried about whether I am going to get on track or get black flagged. This is especially the case if you have the option to switch to a loud exhaust for road use (which at the moment I do not).

Thx for the input. 

Spoke with Jim and have ordered the QP system for non tubular installs. 

Looking forward to getting above 6000rpm now !!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well it’s been a bit of a marathon to say the least ! but picked up my Cup 430 today after having a quiet exhaust fitted.

Had a few other items attended to and  a Stirling job done by Lotus Silverstone. A big thanks to Matt and the team.

Clearly a lot quieter than the Ti silencer but will allow more meaningful track days and also with the additional cans the opportunity to perhaps try Thruxton, Brands and Snetterton.

Did weight comparison with the full stock system 15.5kg, full 2bular 21.5 and Komotec System with the stock Ti silencer 20.1kg.

Was a little surprised by that but the small Toyota cats in the manifolds can not be greatly effective.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well after an expensive few months, new brakes, suspension, exhaust and a few cosmetic bits and pieces I am happy with the outcome. I can for the first time not have to tip toe by noise meters and probably will get on some static test tracks as well

I Would like to get it on a dyno over the next few months to get an idea of power etc, so has anyone used Thorney Motorsport near Silverstone for this, as they are very close to me.

With all this work I now have a little used Komotec Sports Exhaust System ( without silencer ) so if anyone is interested please drop me a pm 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not a great look !!

But I guess better than being black flagged.

Will know more after Thruxton Friday on whether I need the cans on or not. Would be good not to have to use them but with a low static dB probably essential. 9FB17A4E-4FC9-4FF3-83D3-A4C6B2E5A270.thumb.jpeg.a2cc23928ccee4287f116e7f21d31b24.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quick up date on Thruxton track day on noise and the day overall.

I was expecting to have to put the cans on for the static noise test but hit 90/91db at 4,500 or so without,  which  was a real bonus.

First part of the morning was wet so kept in sport mode. 2 cars in the barriers with 1 driver unfortunately hospitalised despite wearing a hans and harnesses, apparently he had them on too loose.

As it dried , switched to Race with 6% slip and left it like that until much drier in the afternoon. At 12% was when I experienced a bit more drama but went for off mode to see.

Thruxton is really just 1 long high speed bend, no real straight,  so tricky to overtake, and very bumpy. In any event I was able to stay out wide on the fast sweepers at Goodwood and Brooklands/Woodham and felt this was the best place to get past slower cars.

A lot has been mentioned on a LSD for an Exige, and It seems logical that a mechanical LSD should be better. I don’t know whether it is or not because you would need to compare two identical cars with and without, although the system on the Cup430 is very good and I feel it’s probably for 95% good enough. Major dowmside of the LSD is the weight and fitting costs.

Enjoyed Thruxton and at long last can try out some of the other great circuits which have been off limits for the 430

• 1 month later...

I am Looking to get my car on the Dyno over Winter,  so does anyone have recommendation for a professional shop to carry it out.

• 5 weeks later...

I am planning to tackle removal of the the 2bular exhaust in order to refit the OEM Ti back box and valve manifold over the winter while not on track.

Not put the car on axle stands before or jacked up both sides. 

Option is to jack up and use car ramps but nose might touch or just use the axle stands.

Anyone have a best solution?

I just reversed mine onto moulded car ramps. If you’re fearful of reversing straight over the end of the ramps then maybe just jack up first and slide them under if you have pretty low ramps. You don’t need particularly high ones to get good access so I wouldn’t worry about the front touching down. Mine was fine even with quite high ramps and the rubber strip still attached to the splitter. 

Ps. I had to hammer my QP box a fair bit to get it off, and it had only been on a few months. 

089D3A5F-F31D-4ACE-8BC8-FE418E1A0D4B.jpeg

Thx for that Gordon, 

The ramps seem the simplest and I have 2 trolley jacks so could lower straight on to them.

I have also got to remove the 2bular sports cat as well so may be fun!!!